Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#247233 - 06/19/12 08:00 PM Wilderness enough to swallow you whole
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Yes, though it may be hard to believe in this era, there is still enough genuine Northern wilderness to swallow a person whole.

This news story is a reminder of that, and hopefully instructive to the thoughtful among us. A German visitor wanted to walk the forests of Yukon -- and will likely never be found.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/06/19/...k-across-yukon/

These visitors are welcome, of course. But there are hints that some of them don't fully comprehend what they are getting into, and so are not as well prepared as they might be. I detect a note of exasperation in the interviews with the SAR folks.

#247234 - 06/19/12 08:19 PM Re: Wilderness enough to swallow you whole [Re: dougwalkabout]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
But there are hints that some of them don't fully comprehend what they are getting into, and so are not as well prepared as they might be.

Just hints?

#247235 - 06/19/12 08:36 PM Re: Wilderness enough to swallow you whole [Re: gonewiththewind]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Montanero
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
But there are hints that some of them don't fully comprehend what they are getting into, and so are not as well prepared as they might be.

Just hints?

Ah, well, gentle understatement is the language of diplomacy.

#247237 - 06/19/12 10:28 PM Re: Wilderness enough to swallow you whole [Re: dougwalkabout]
Finn Offline

Loc: Colonial Heights, VA
For some reason the page headers come up but the story doesn't.

#247240 - 06/19/12 10:45 PM Re: Wilderness enough to swallow you whole [Re: dougwalkabout]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Thanks Doug.

I read a brief report a few days ago on this missing man in which the details were only a brief rewrite job of the official RCMP press release and today, this NP story provides a much more in depth insight and background of the missing person.

I doubt that the RCMP or SAR will spend much, if any resources in attempting to search for this missing person with no real clues to go on other then what they have now. Like many before him, if this missing person did indeed head off into the wild and did not find his way out, he will become part of the Yukon's growing collection of stories of people who have made the pilgrimage north for the ultimate gamble and lost.

As I near my departure date for a solo 9 day wildnerness venture, it is news stories such as these that really enforce to me, the concepts and wisdom of being fully prepared and also fully cognizent of the harsh reality that these types of trips can go drastically wrong at any time no matter how experienced or inexperienced that a person is.

John Lubbock

#247242 - 06/19/12 11:33 PM Re: Wilderness enough to swallow you whole [Re: Teslinhiker]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Similar events have occured, and no doubt will occur again in Alaska. The most publicised case was the "Into the Wild" story that John Krakauer wrote about. That guy was found, but too late. I would be the last one to discourage someone from an adventure. However, some people just have no clue what they are getting into.

Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
As I near my departure date for a solo 9 day wildnerness venture, it is news stories such as these that really enforce to me, the concepts and wisdom of being fully prepared and also fully cognizent of the harsh reality that these types of trips can go drastically wrong at any time no matter how experienced or inexperienced that a person is.
Have fun Teslin, but be very careful out there. We want to hear your stories when you get back!

#247244 - 06/20/12 01:05 AM Re: Wilderness enough to swallow you whole [Re: Finn]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Finn
For some reason the page headers come up but the story doesn't.

That's odd. I can open the link normally in both Chromium and Firefox.

#247245 - 06/20/12 01:50 AM Re: Wilderness enough to swallow you whole [Re: dougwalkabout]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
There's no reason to worry about Teslinhiker. He's the opposite of the object of the story. Teslinhiker has experience, has done this kind of thing before, and has prepared and thought about it a lot.

While things can happen, Teslinhiker is "lucky." He looks lucky to those who don't prepare.

Have a good time!

#247246 - 06/20/12 02:06 AM Re: Wilderness enough to swallow you whole [Re: dougwalkabout]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Go Teslin! Take some notes along the way and give us an AAR with some lessons learned, or at least reinforced!

#247250 - 06/20/12 03:59 AM Re: Wilderness enough to swallow you whole [Re: dougwalkabout]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Thanks guys. As the hours literally tick by, my plans are being changed and perhaps, altogether scuttled by a river on the east end of the trail where the river is at abnormally high flood stage and daytime temps are expected to hit the low 80's next week. Not that I have attempt to cross this river on foot (which I would never live anyways regardless of water level) however there is a vehicle ferry out of service until the water levels subside which really impacts the logistics of the return drive home..

On the north end of the trail, about 75 kms away which is my initial departure point, the latest report is that the trail is still experiencing winter conditions...go figure.

My very latest window of departure is from roughly to July 1st to July 5th. Any time past that is too late to fit into my work schedule so hopefully nature will decide to cooperate with me soon...

John Lubbock

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 442 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.