Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#247228 - 06/19/12 04:53 PM Re: Four Things to Always Have With You at Work [Re: Russ]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: Russ
I get the impression that some peeps live in normally very safe office environments where a paper cut is a big deal.
Folks concerned about which four items to carry should think about whether their work environment is safe wink

Looking at the original post, I think this topic is specifically aimed at office workers in an urban setting.

Really, I think the question is what items can the average office worker put in their pockets that would help them if some sort of local disaster strikes while they are at work - be it a building fire, earthquake, terrorist attack, etc.

Given this, I think 4 is a reasonable number of items, though I don't think the question necessarily constrains answers to that. For myself, I think the constraint is more what items would be helpful yet can be carried inconspicuously and comfortably while wearing typical corporate attire.

#247229 - 06/19/12 05:30 PM Re: Four Things to Always Have With You at Work [Re: Denis]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I have found that when the rules provide for an insufficient answer, you need to consider changing the rules. Is four a real limit or is it self-imposed? Many limits are self-imposed and are not rules at all.

As an academic discussion setting a limit of four is fine, but once it goes beyond academia and into the real world, arbitrary limits need to be dumped. I find it better to dump the limits early and just prioritize. FWIW

#247230 - 06/19/12 05:52 PM Re: Four Things to Always Have With You at Work [Re: Russ]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
While I agree with your sentiment, without reading too much into the original post hopefully, I think the unasked question is really more along the lines of: What items could the average urban office worker carry on their person that would be helpful in the case of a local disaster, but at the same time could be carried inconspicuously and comfortably while wearing typical corporate attire?

I also assumed we could exclude from this answer things that your average worker would have anyway, like a cellphone or a wallet.

It just so happens the original poster recalled a post that answered this question with a list comprised of four items, and was searching for that. That said, I don't really find fault with the answer to this question being four items; a flashlight, whistle, multi-tool, and a bandanna/Buff seem to be reasonable to me given the intent.

I guess part of this too is we've jumped in to discussing what the best answer is to a question that no one actually asked smile

#247231 - 06/19/12 06:00 PM Re: Four Things to Always Have With You at Work [Re: Denis]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Denis
I guess part of this too is we've jumped in to discussing what the best answer is to a question that no one actually asked smile

Bingo! LOL, the thread just started with trying to find an old post that mentioned those particular four items. KI6IW never actually asked folks what their four things would be.

OK, Russ, I vote that anyone that needs to wear Nomex to work every day can deviate from the 4 original items. wink

#247232 - 06/19/12 06:58 PM Re: Four Things to Always Have With You at Work [Re: Arney]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
lol -- Just the items in the flight suit would take me over the limit; the gear in the vest is way over the top. We know it's not safe so we dress for it.

My point (if I have a point) is that sometimes you are better off being prepared in an unsafe environment than working in a relative safe office with "rules".

#247236 - 06/19/12 10:18 PM Re: Four Things to Always Have With You at Work [Re: KI6IW]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
The question is in the title of the thread. I find the limit of four to be a much more useful and interesting exercise for me personally. If the limit here were two things, then it would be a knife and a flashlight, and frankly I wouldn't feel too unequipped. These two items prove their weight in gold at least once a week. We already have plenty of threads about everyday carry where people list off everything without limits. Those threads are not that useful for me in my urban environment because I prefer to travel lightly, or rather ultra-lightly whenever possible.

I work from a home office and occasionally go into downtown for meetings in large buildings. I wear business attire. I have to make a decision on every single piece of gear. I often take the train (BART) into downtown, and I'm walking here and there, changing trains, etc.

I can't carry every "just in case" item, and I don't have room for too many backups. For example, I only have room for one set of keys and maybe one spare key for my car. I used to carry a spare plastic car key, but it broke inside my car door when I needed it most. (I won't be getting one of those again.) I don't have room for a lighter, or it's more like I don't feel I need a lighter. I have room for a knife or a multi-tool, but not both. I do carry a single AA flashlight and a fauxton light. I "use" the fauxton and keep the flashlight fresh. I carry a whistle, but have never used it in an urban environment, even though I've had opportunities. I understand the need for a bandana, but I no longer carry one. I'm talking ultra-light and compact here, and decisions have to be made. Anyway, if I really need a bandana, I can make something with the help of my knife.

Of course, my limits are self-imposed, but I'm of the mindset that being light, maneuverable, and inconspicuous is also quite valuable for survival in an urban environment. Traveling light also has an added perk of NOT being the biggest target of beggars. I am confident in my ability to improvise something out of nothing. I've done it several times in the past, and I'll do it again if the need arises. I can't even get close to carrying everything I'd like to have anyway.

#247247 - 06/20/12 02:29 AM Re: Four Things to Always Have With You at Work [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Stephen Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
Multitool.

.... If it's a no-no for work, go work elsewere.

Go work elsewhere if you can't carry a multi-tool? Theres some solid advice folks. Nothing like getting carried away with the whole EDC thing.

I like to say I am as "prepared" as the next guy, but to laynard a second set of keys to my body or carry a flashlight to use, and one "not to use" is a bit over the top for normal everyday life IMO. It's a wonder some of us can walk around the corner to check the mail without a tac vest full of supplies.

#247248 - 06/20/12 02:51 AM Re: Four Things to Always Have With You at Work [Re: bacpacjac]
Stephen Offline

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac

Why a bandana? Think smoke/fumes, blood/bodily fluids, other first aid, improvised hat, signalling....

A bandana wouldn't protect from either of those things very well IMO. Firt aid, yes I could see the utility there for a sling or whatever but in an urban setting it should be easy enough to improvise using other materials. Signalling maybe, but any bright colored clothing would do the same thing.

Under what circumstances would you need to improvise a hat in an urban setting ?

My usual EDC list would include:

- Iphone 4 with mophie case (extra battery charge)
- wallet with ID, Cash, a couple of knuckle bandages
- Leatherman skeletool
- E01 AAA flashlight
- storm lighter with few feet of gorilla tape wrapped around it
- write in the rain pen
- sunglasses
- keys

If I am at work I may carry a Leatherman surge instead of the skeletool, a solid pair of work gloves depinding on the days activities, a write in the rain note pad and a larger/brighter flashlight instead of the EO1. Everything else I could wish for is in my locker or my truck which is'nt very far away.

If I need it and I don't have it I will improvise with what I have available to me. If I can't do that I will simply make do without.

#247258 - 06/20/12 11:35 AM Re: Four Things to Always Have With You at Work [Re: Stephen]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Stephen

Why a bandana? Think smoke/fumes, blood/bodily fluids, other first aid, improvised hat, signalling....

A bandana wouldn't protect from either of those things very well IMO. Firt aid, yes I could see the utility there for a sling or whatever but in an urban setting it should be easy enough to improvise using other materials. Signalling maybe, but any bright colored clothing would do the same thing.

You're probably right about using it as a mask, but it would buy me time to get to a proper mask, or out of the building, in the event of a fire or chemical spill. The warehouse I work in is small and my Jeep is parked right outside so I'm not thinking about hours, but rather minutes.

Good point about clothing. That's a another layer of preparedness that hasn't come up in this thread but, I figure if the remote possibility came up that I was trapped and needed to signal, I'd either be able to improvise something or I'd be trapped and unable to move. Grabbing a bandana from my pocket might be the only option. Very remote but something to think consider when you work in an industrial complex.

A hat? Not likely. One of our Scouts made one out of tin foil this weekend so it's at the front of my brain. I keep a hat close at hand, if not on my head. How about fire alarm + blazing sun + ill co-worker? Leaky fire repression system after the nuke alarm goes off? Belief that the bosses are using mind-control devices? wink

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#247261 - 06/20/12 02:49 PM Re: Four Things to Always Have With You at Work [Re: bacpacjac]
Stephen Offline

but it would buy me time to get to a proper mask, or out of the building, in the event of a fire or chemical spill...

True, You could take the time to whip out the bandana and tie it around your nose as a temporary mask ...or

you could reach down, grab the top of your shirt collar and pull it up over your nose. Volia, you now have a piece of cloth over your mouth and nose serving the same purpose as the bandana would have in a fraction of the time. Breathing through your shirt would be equally effective (or ineffective as it were)

Unless the ladies don't wear shirts where you work. In that case let me know where it is and I will swing by to drop off a resume laugh

Seriously though, to each their own but I have always viewed a bandana as one of those things people always think they need but never really find a practical use for. Almost like it's taboo to not carry one because all the "survival experts" will make fun of you if you don't. I wonder has anyone used one for anything other than wiping sweat off themselves? Personally I think a pair of gloves would be much better to pack in a pocket if you insist on using the space. If you think about it, a bandana should be the easiest piece of gear in the world to improvise from your urban surroundings if you did suddenly need one. Simply find some cloth and cut to size.

Hey, I just noticed you are from Ontario Jack. I just sold my house in Alberta and will be moving there in a few weeks. Maybe I will see you out on the trails.

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.