The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#275524 - 06/25/15 03:18 PM Re: Fallout shelter [Re: adam2]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Here is a link to pictures of an actual shelter, for reasons of security and privacy this is NOT my friends one, but they are all of the same basic design.

restored bunker

They all had the vertical shaft descending into the chemical closet room and tool store, portable generator stored on shelf above closet.
The main room contained shelving or racking behind the door, batteries on bottom shelf.
Fixed or folding table along most of the left hand wall with a cupboard near the end.
Two bunks across end wall.
The detailed internal fit out varied a bit, but the basic structure was identical.

#275525 - 06/25/15 03:54 PM Re: Fallout shelter [Re: adam2]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Thanks, I like that more than the simulation -- very nice. Looks like a greenhouse would cover that vertical shaft entrance easily. Plants in the greenhouse would tend to use excess CO2.

#275541 - 06/25/15 10:12 PM Re: Fallout shelter [Re: Ironwood]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
If the surface air was contaminated, as in fallout, wouldn't you need a CO2 scrubber (bunker air) or a NBC filter (surface air)for prolonged existance. It seems that pumping radioactive surface air into the shelter, or croaking of CO2 poisoning, would negate the entire idea of a fallout shelter.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#275545 - 06/25/15 11:53 PM Re: Fallout shelter [Re: Mark_R]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
That was my thought which is one reason I mentioned having the air pump and filter in my earlier post. The greenhouse is really an enclosure to reduce direct contamination while topside servicing the "air handler". It also serves to protect the solar panels while allowing them to continue working.

I'm a bit surprised the bunker didn't have a filter of some sort when built. They have a contamination wash-down area outside the main room of the bunker, so fallout was considered in their planning, which makes the lack of an air filter puzzling.

#275548 - 06/26/15 12:38 AM Re: Fallout shelter [Re: adam2]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Here is a link to pictures of an actual shelter, for reasons of security and privacy this is NOT my friends one, but they are all of the same basic design.

Now that is weird, someone has gone to the bother of doing up the Abernite ROC bunker 'End of the World' Last Ditch Observation bunker..which is about 10 minutes drive away from me in the Sidlaw Hills which was part of the DUN Caledonian Sector

http://www.ringbell.co.uk/ukwmo/Page232.htm

So is the cold war - soon to be hot war back on the cards at the moment with the NATO crazies preparing their own version of Operation Barbarossa in the Ukraine.. frown

I'll need to check the other two ROC stations nearby to see if there has been any recent activity to see if I can begin to see a trend at work here!

#275549 - 06/26/15 12:40 AM Re: Fallout shelter [Re: Ironwood]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Coincidentally, the #1 free app on i-Tunes this month is: "Fallout Shelter"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-...allout-shelter/

I'm downloading it now.

#275552 - 06/26/15 01:03 AM Re: Fallout shelter [Re: Dagny]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I haven't seen so much State Sponsored Propaganda and outright lies since this was on my record player..back when Able Archer 83 was on go, but no seems to listening this time around..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnh7x8aU26g

#275558 - 06/26/15 01:06 PM Re: Fallout shelter [Re: Ironwood]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK

#275560 - 06/26/15 02:33 PM Re: Fallout shelter [Re: Ironwood]
Ian Offline

Loc: Scotland
I was an officer in the Royal Observer Corps responsible for a cluster of six of these 'bunkers'.

We had the job of reporting the fall of nuclear weapons, location and power. Intensity and arrival of fallout (we were responsible for fallout warning of the population) and secondarily providing weather information to provide a wartime forecast service.

The purpose did not include surviving a nuclear war. A destroyed post still provided information in a way.

There was a programme of installing hand operated Luwa filter units to some posts but the stand down occurred before it could be rolled out.

The 3W pea bulb was supplied from a large NiFe battery and a generator was supplied for recharging but it would last weeks, It was plenty of light to operate and, of course, helped during a night deployment. A one hour timer was fitted that had to be continuously reset to ensure the load was not left on accidental.

We had regular exercises where the post was operational for 72 hours with three people and ventilation was never a problem, We cooked on picnic stoves, gas or paraffin with no difficulties and heating was never needed, the temperature was just about comfortable.

I think that is all the points above, any more questions?

Edited by Ian (06/26/15 02:49 PM)

#275571 - 06/27/15 07:55 AM Re: Fallout shelter [Re: Ian]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Originally Posted By: Ian
I was an officer in the Royal Observer Corps responsible for a cluster of six of these 'bunkers'.

We had the job of reporting the fall of nuclear weapons, location and power. Intensity and arrival of fallout (we were responsible for fallout warning of the population) and secondarily providing weather information to provide a wartime forecast service.

The purpose did not include surviving a nuclear war. A destroyed post still provided information in a way.

There was a programme of installing hand operated Luwa filter units to some posts but the stand down occurred before it could be rolled out.

The 3W pea bulb was supplied from a large NiFe battery and a generator was supplied for recharging but it would last weeks, It was plenty of light to operate and, of course, helped during a night deployment. A one hour timer was fitted that had to be continuously reset to ensure the load was not left on accidental.

We had regular exercises where the post was operational for 72 hours with three people and ventilation was never a problem, We cooked on picnic stoves, gas or paraffin with no difficulties and heating was never needed, the temperature was just about comfortable.

I think that is all the points above, any more questions?

An interesting first hand report, thanks.
Yes the purpose was not perhaps to survive a nuclear war, but the chances of survival in such a post would be considerably greater than on the surface.
The original 3 watt bulb was not as bad as it sounds in a small and white painted area. Most posts had a 12 volt fluorescent light retrofitted over the table.
Many reports state that the battery was lead acid, but they are incorrect. As you state it was nickel iron, wet alkaline.
Many posts had additional lead acid batteries retrofitted but the original was definatly alkaline, I have seen several.
I have stayed overnight in such a post and confirm that the ventilation seemed fine, even if using a couple of candles.
The degree of ventilation was adjustable by sliding covers over the vents.
The vent above the upper bunk admits perceptible daylight in bright weather if fully open, just enough for cautious movement without use of the electric light.
A hand or battery powered blower with an NBC filter seems a sensible present day retrofit.

Edited by adam2 (06/27/15 07:56 AM)

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Ren, Jeanette_Isabelle), 447 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.