Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#247210 - 06/18/12 07:32 PM Re: Bahco Laplander Saw [Re: Teslinhiker]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker

Are you sure about that? A 9.9" diameter tree calculates to about a 31" circumference if my math is correct. That would make for quite a cutting task for a 19" blade.

Yes, it won't be as quick as with a smaller branch but doable. Remember these saws aren't like bow saw that has attachment on both ends, so you can pull it almost all the way out with only an inch or two still inside the tree, so this effectively made the saw longer.

I've cut 4" wood with my 7" saw, getting slow but can be done.

#247211 - 06/18/12 09:01 PM Re: Bahco Laplander Saw [Re: jzmtl]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: jzmtl
Yes, it won't be as quick as with a smaller branch but doable. Remember these saws aren't like bow saw that has attachment on both ends, so you can pull it almost all the way out with only an inch or two still inside the tree, so this effectively made the saw longer.

I've cut 4" wood with my 7" saw, getting slow but can be done.

GradyT34 mentioned about the possibility of a 10" limb or tree coming through the roof of his home during a hurricane. If this were me and I was planning to cut up any potential fallen trees of this size with a handsaw such as the Genki-Temagari 500 or the Katanaboy, considering their price at close to $200.00 per, I would instead be looking at a good used chainsaw which depending on the area and local supply / demand, can be had for not much more then either of these saws.

John Lubbock

#247212 - 06/18/12 09:15 PM Re: Bahco Laplander Saw [Re: Ronin]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Yeah, I don't think I'd buy them either at that price point, but they are a lot easier to pack and use than a chainsaw so I can see their advantages.

#247216 - 06/19/12 01:49 AM Re: Bahco Laplander Saw [Re: jzmtl]
GradyT34 Offline

Actually, the trees and limbs that crush houses around here during hurricanes are mostly water oaks. They're notorious for falling over (roots and all) or for having humongous limbs splitting off and falling straight down onto a roof. The trunks and limbs most likely to go interloping are from mature, hollow and half rotten 40" and larger (sometimes a lot larger) trees that are already way too close to houses to begin with. Live oak and bald cypress trees in my area are the trees of choice in that they withstand hurricanes much better and are beautiful.

If your going to salvage a house with a tree in it, it's sometimes best to use an industrial back hoe or even in some cases, a track hoe (something like a Cat 320). And it's best to not touch anything until you have an enforceable agreement with the insurance underwriter (which can sadly take months after you get their attention).

I have a number of chainsaws and rotate them to the end that when I'm in the field on crew projects, we start every day with four or five saws that actually run (i.e. start right up) and have been sharpened.

As to preparing for the occasional hurricane, I test and then set several mid-range Stihls on my kitchen floor relative to helping out later if someone is struggling.

Trust me, after a major storm passes through (Rita, Andrew, Audrey, Ike, Camille, Gustav, Betsy and Katrina come to mind) you'll be grateful for every chain saw and any other kind of saw, ax, hatchet or sharp object you can get your hands on.

#247278 - 06/20/12 06:17 PM Re: Bahco Laplander Saw [Re: Ronin]
RNewcomb Offline

Loc: Iowa
I ordered one of these yesterday from Amazon, it was on sale (Price drop 22% since I Wish-Listed it), and since I needed something to get me over $25 for free shipping, I jumped on it.

Can't wait to get it... There's some tree's growing up in my Alley I'm gonna take care of once and for all!

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 341 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.