Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#246993 - 06/13/12 01:48 AM Fallout shelter
Ironwood Offline
Journeyman

I searched around here and on a few other forums and found little, to no discussion on perhaps one of the least prepared for public emergencies that could occur. We can have plans in place for wild fires, tornados, and hurricanes, etc.... But from a terrorist perspective one "event" that would have federal/state and local authorities in OUR country scrambling is a nuclear event. The objective (real) danger would be potentially smallish (depending), and yet would leave the general public in hysterics, and scrambling to understanding their risk and how to even proceed. The SUBJECTIVE (percieved) danger would VERY high. In this spirit I have begun a collection and understanding of pertinant issues of NBC events and how to protect my young family at least for the 1-3 months while things "cool down". We cannot know who, what, where, when, but there are some general things one can do to be knowlegable, and even slightly more prepared. I would likely to begin at least a general dialog that would surpass the government's "Duct tape and plastic" solution (quite funny actually). Some countries have historically had quite comprehensive NBC shelters (Swiss, and Russian). The historc arguements of "Mutually Assured Destruction" MAD, worked with the Soviets, but today there is no "other" to "destroy". Also, missing and prolilfic "nucs" floating around, and terrorists seeking them. Makes for a very bad "cocktail".

I am not fear mongering, just thinking prudently, and attempting to create some degree of preparedness. I am VERY surprised some "officals" dont at least recognize the risk more publically.

Ironwood (former Army SpecOps targeting guy)

Edited by Ironwood (06/13/12 01:50 AM)

#246996 - 06/13/12 02:22 AM Re: Fallout shelter [Re: Ironwood]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Google: Nuclear War Survival Skills by Kearney

This tells one how to build expedient and full blown fallout shelters

#246998 - 06/13/12 02:35 AM Re: Fallout shelter [Re: wildman800]
Ironwood Offline
Journeyman

My plan is a "non-ground zero" shelter mostly oriented toward earth shielded and marginal blast proofness. We are not a good target where I live. just likely to get downwind impact. Thanks for the recommendation .

Ironwood

Edited by Ironwood (06/13/12 02:36 AM)

#246999 - 06/13/12 02:57 AM Re: Fallout shelter [Re: Ironwood]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
if you start with the "duct tape and plastic"....a positive ventilation structure that would prevent contaminated particles from entering... with some decontamination station provided for anyone needing to exit/ re enter

presumes you are outside the immediate blast and thermal effect range and plan on sheltering in place...that the device is a fission, or fission-fusion-fission device that is somewhat dirty and produces decay daughters from the fissionable source that are bone or tissue seekers in the human body... most likely source material of plutonium or uranium and fission produced radioisotopes (the usual suspects) strontium a +2 oxidation element that would replace calcium and magnesium in the body....cesium a +1 oxidation that would replace potassium and sodium, and iodine found in the thyroid... stores of potassium iodide or equivalent, vitamin or mineral supplements

alpha, beta and gamma radiation... neutrons would be present at the initiation, but found only in fissionable materials..

alpha is the easiest to defeat, but because of the size the most damaging if allowed to enter the body... check of food stuffs and R95 or N95 masks...decontamination routine showering... usually has about a 10cm decay range

beta is a high speed electron, small in size but is still ionizing and disrupts about 1000x the area provided by a strike of a tissue containing atom/electron in the body

gamma...high energy electromagnetic wave...ionizes tissue...travels in straight line, so entrance to a earth shielded shelter needs to have a right angle separating the living area and outside entrance

having a 3 month supply of food and water would be a start...burn supplies and radiation monitoring equipment (monitors that rely on a Geiger-Muller ionization tube will block alpha and beta by the detector tube construction) so probably a scintillation counter would be the best...

my bet on a location would be a port area where a device could be entered in a conex container...

a good thought problem, but a couple dozen dedicated individuals shooting out power stations across the Eastern seaboard would be a whole lot easier to accomplish, and a whole lot cheaper

comments...

#247002 - 06/13/12 03:23 AM Re: Fallout shelter [Re: Ironwood]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

I live in DC and would just as soon the bomb, if there is to be a big one here, fell on my head. In any event, I don't expect to have any advance notice.

There was a report issued this winter that said the likelier terrorist nuclear scenario - a small yield ground explosion - would not be as terrible for the region as once postulated because high-rise buildings will contain some of the blast.

And, encouraging to me depending on what time of day and exactly where in town it hit: brick rowhouses would be a pretty effective shelter from radiation -- especially one a few addresses in from the corner. That's if the bomb were not too close, of course.

I posted the link to that document on ETS sometime over the winter.

Think that instead of the 1950s backyard shelter I'd be looking at hardening an interior area of my home. If at work or elsewhere when it happens, oh well....

#247011 - 06/13/12 08:23 AM Re: Fallout shelter [Re: Ironwood]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
There is a lot to be said for a fallout shelter, and remember that a suitable structure will also give protection against fire, tornadoes, earthquakes and blast.

It could however be argued that a fallout shelter is less needed now than in the cold war era.
At that time there was considered to be a risk of large scale attack with numerous nuclear weapons. Shelter would then be vital, evacuation not being feasible if a large part of the country was affected.

Todays risk would appear to be terrorists aquiring a single nuclear device. Evacuation after use of such would be feasible as most of the rest of the country should be unaffected.

IMHO spending on just a fallout shelter might not be justified, unless it is designed to also withstand earthquakes, tornadoes, fire, and civil disorder.

An all purpose "doom shelter" is more worth considering.

I am aware of one in the UK.
It consists of an underground concrete shelter with 3 high security entrances. Food, water, and fuel are stored sufficient to shelter a family for several months.
It is designed to withstand the following
A direct hit with a conventional explosive bomb, such as a vehicle bomb parked adjacent.
A nuclear weapon detonation a few miles away.
Fallout
Extreme weather, including collapse of nearby buildings.
Attack with chemical or biolgical weapons.
Criminal or terrorist attack with automatic weapons, grenades, and demolition charges.

Edited by adam2 (06/13/12 08:24 AM)

#247014 - 06/13/12 01:03 PM Re: Fallout shelter [Re: adam2]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
If you are rich and paranoid, why not? The construction industry can use the stimulus....

#247021 - 06/13/12 03:41 PM Re: Fallout shelter [Re: Ironwood]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Ironwood
I am VERY surprised some "officals" dont at least recognize the risk more publically.

Don't be surprised. I don't want to stray into the political realm too far except to say that any negative talk about things "nuclear" in this post-Cold War era has the risk of negatively impacting a multi-billion dollar nuclear industry that depends on people feeling comfortable with the technology, and who contribute a lot of campaign money to politicians and lobbyists.

#247022 - 06/13/12 04:05 PM Re: Fallout shelter [Re: Ironwood]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Just noting another change from the 1950's is that nobody at all is home a large part of the day.

With moms working, if the bomb goes off during daylight hours, the home shelter won't be occupied for awhile (if at all).

Employer-provided shelter anyone???

#247025 - 06/13/12 05:10 PM Re: Fallout shelter [Re: Ironwood]
Ironwood Offline
Journeyman

I actually work at home, my wife less than a mile away, and my kids are within 3 miles. So,.... we could reconviene at our home within about 15-20 minutes. Additionally, I am looking to do this in the most resourceful way possible. I have moved 5000 tons of fill last year and 2000 already this year, so it is not like a have to invest in a 20K hole to begin my shelter. I think as an ETS thinker we should all at least educate those around us as well as ourselves. Self hardening of a home or row house makes sense. Yes, I am thinking smallish scale event wit hlarge scale percieved danger...... thanks for chiming in,

Ironwood

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.