Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#246954 - 06/12/12 04:37 AM Re: Four Things to Always Have With You at Work [Re: KI6IW]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
For me, telling me to carry a cell phone is like telling me to wear shoes. It's just there, but yeah I recognize its utility.

#247008 - 06/13/12 05:44 AM Re: Four Things to Always Have With You at Work [Re: ireckon]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

I've submitted this before, but it works so well for me and my family that I'm going to repeat it. In addition to a regular bandana or handkerchief , I take a well washed, standard size, yellow or orange, cotton bandana and press it with a very hot dry iron, folding it and pressing it to pocket size. I immediately slip it into a (sterile) Gerber Breast Milk Bag, press out the air with a flat book and seal it. I now have a nearly sterile bandage, dust mask, signal flag, sweatband,etc. I reinforce the bag edges with Gorilla Tape to foster pocket durability . Lastly, I make a four inch flat roll of forty inches of two inch Gorilla Tape and tape the flat pack to the bandana bag. This gives me tape for all the obvious uses and the possibility of making an effective chest seal bandage. It really packs amazingly flat and is almost weightless. It will also anchor your wallet in your front pocket and make pickpockets cringe. Try it. I think you'll like it!

#247023 - 06/13/12 05:01 PM Re: Four Things to Always Have With You at Work [Re: acropolis5]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: acropolis5
I've submitted this before...tape the flat pack to the bandana bag.

I must've missed your prior posts on this, acropolis. Did you ever post a photo of what it looks like? I just ask because...so you just tape that pack of tape to the outside of the bag, or it goes in with the bandana before you seal it? If it's on the outside of the plastic bag, unless you cover all sides of it, seems like the edges of the tape bundle would catch on things in your pocket, potentially ripping the bag in the process, and also really build up some lint over time. Although, I guess maybe the "catching on things" angle is what you're referring to about helping prevent pick pockets, so in that case, it would be an advantage.

#247050 - 06/14/12 02:11 AM Re: Four Things to Always Have With You at Work [Re: KI6IW]
m9key Offline

Loc: florida
agree with all 4 but when it comes to knives what they dont know might save them......

#247054 - 06/14/12 03:43 AM Re: Four Things to Always Have With You at Work [Re: Arney]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Arny, I am fairly computer illiterate, so no picture at this time. I'll ask my son for some help on that score. Until then, let me try a word picture to answer your questions : Once the hot pressed bandana is sealed in the bag , I cover all four edges of the bag with 2"Gorilla Tape, overlapped about an inch over each edge. That leaves two clear plastic "windows", one on each flat side. I add a length of 2" wide G Tape down the middle of the window on one side, to add abrasion resistance. On the other side, I lay on the ~5" long flat roll of 40" of G Tape. It is placed down the middle of the window , like the reinforcing tape strip on the other side. I tape the flat roll onto the bag with 3 lengths of 1" G Tape, overlappingt the top and bottom of the roll and place one length in the middle. This makes the whole package fairly stiff on the vertical axis. It goes into my pocket , tape roll side towards my leg, my wallet on top of it . It anchors well. The package lasts for about six months to a year and then you do it over in a new bag . Lint or roll detachment has never been a problem , at least not until it would be recycled anyway. If I'm carrying an EDC bag, I'll have another bandana/ tape pack in the bag . Same for my wife's bag and my son's school backpack.

Edited by acropolis5 (06/14/12 03:45 AM)

#247062 - 06/14/12 02:12 PM Re: Four Things to Always Have With You at Work [Re: acropolis5]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: acropolis5
It is placed down the middle of the window , like the reinforcing tape strip on the other side. I tape the flat roll onto the bag with 3 lengths of 1" G Tape, overlappingt the top and bottom of the roll and place one length in the middle.

Thanks, acropolis. I think I can picture your set up now. Sounds like the whole package is pretty well taped up, except for that one "window" on the side opposite the tape roll. Neat idea.

#247121 - 06/16/12 12:24 PM Re: Four Things to Always Have With You at Work [Re: KI6IW]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
After 9/11 I thought I saw,

1. N95 mask
2. swim goggles
3. light
4. ? gloves

Edited by jshannon (06/16/12 12:28 PM)

#247129 - 06/16/12 07:42 PM Re: Four Things to Always Have With You at Work [Re: KI6IW]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Only four?
No way, and I mean No Way.

Cellphone. Be smart here and buy a high end smartphone. I've loaded compass, GPS and Swiss Army apps on mine. Very useful. Also make sure it has a torch function.

Key's. Two set's here. One to use and one lanyarded to you. Saves you a horrendous amount of grief if you loose/mislay a set

Cash money. How much is up to you. Take it as a given that the ATM always goes U/S at exactly the wrong moment.

Multitool. If it's a no-no for work, go work elsewere.

Torches. Always carry two. One to use, and one to not use. That way you always have a charged torch.

Lighter. The good old disposable Bic is first choice here. Again two. As above.

A small tin with basic med's, plasters etc is always useful.

#247132 - 06/16/12 08:13 PM Re: Four Things to Always Have With You at Work [Re: KI6IW]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Wow, Leigh, are you carrying a purse/man bag or something? I carry one, but it seems like most men don't.

Anyway yes, it's more than 4. However, I think the idea here is the top ranked 4 items without compromise for an urban environment. I'm thinking a lighter is not in the top 4 for an urban environment. I personally do not even consider a lighter to be a necessary survival item to carry for urban. For those who think otherwise, please explain how a lighter was an essential part of your survival in an urban environment.

#247136 - 06/16/12 09:47 PM Re: Four Things to Always Have With You at Work [Re: KI6IW]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Leigh,

I'd add a water bottle and some food bars.

tro

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.