The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 ... 16 17 >
Topic Options
#238385 - 01/01/12 01:14 AM The Walking Dead - AMC series
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Never thought I'd like a zombie show but caught an episode, bought the season 1 DVDs, streamed the remaining and now I'm hooked. The show is presently on hiatus until February 12.

Any other ETS fans?

Is this discussion out-of-bounds for the campfire section of ETS?

They camp every night and forage for food (I'm talking about the un-dead foraging). And the still-humans stress community for survival.

The cities fare particularly badly in this zombie world. Imagine being in DC when the politicians are hungry for more than your wallet....

Must confess when the zombie exterminations commence I'm prone to hit the "mute" button and avert my eyes.

I'd be taking my firesteels and Cup O' Noodle soup and hightailing it somewhere remote. Preferably in the company of people less squeamish and better armed.

Can zombies swim? Lots of sailboats would be available around here.

#238386 - 01/01/12 01:49 AM Re: The Walking Dead - AMC series [Re: Dagny]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I like the show. But I hate these multi-month hiatuses. Despite a bit too much forced social drama, it's still one of the better shows available. I'll be watching again come February.

#238387 - 01/01/12 02:57 AM Re: The Walking Dead - AMC series [Re: Dagny]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I like the show, too. I watched the first season, but can't find the second season online. Where do you get the streaming from? The AMC site doesn't seem to do that.

Not sure how useful the show is for actual survival knowledge. Probably no more useful than the Island. For example, I don't expect to be able to get into the CDC that easily if anything happens, or to have an unexpectedly heartwarming confrontation with nurses/janitors posing as gangsters to protect old patients.

The Walking Dead did make me want to get a crossbow.

#238388 - 01/01/12 03:09 AM Re: The Walking Dead - AMC series [Re: Dagny]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I just found it on Netflix, watched the first six episodes - the only 6 episodes on Netflix - and have to admit that I'm in a bit of withdrawal. It's not enough to convince me to get cable again but I like it.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#238393 - 01/01/12 03:52 AM Re: The Walking Dead - AMC series [Re: Dagny]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
We have watched both seasons and today AMC has had a Walking Dead marathon that is still running. We got home a couple of hours ago and are currently watching the last couple of the second season episodes.Thus far, the second season of The Walking Dead, we found to be plodding along slow as compared to the first. Hopefully the second half of this season will pick up more in February.

That said, both seasons have had some good acting and great camera work at times. I especially enjoy the acting of the character "Daryl"", the crossbow carrying guy.

John Lubbock

#238396 - 01/01/12 04:20 AM Re: The Walking Dead - AMC series [Re: Bingley]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: Bingley
I like the show, too. I watched the first season, but can't find the second season online. Where do you get the streaming from? The AMC site doesn't seem to do that.

Not sure how useful the show is for actual survival knowledge. Probably no more useful than the Island. For example, I don't expect to be able to get into the CDC that easily if anything happens, or to have an unexpectedly heartwarming confrontation with nurses/janitors posing as gangsters to protect old patients.

The Walking Dead did make me want to get a crossbow.

Amazon.com has The Walking Dead seasons 1 and 2 (first half of the season 2) available for streaming for $1.99 per episode ($2.99 for Hi-def). That's how I watched Season 2.

I bought the Season 1 DVDs for $15 a couple weeks ago. I just now checked and those are now selling for $9.99 So I just now bought two sets to give to friends. Haven't decided which friends, don't know that any are receptive to zombie entertainment. But then again, neither was I.

Ditto on the crossbow.

By the way, the extra features alone on the Season 1 DVDs are worth the $10 -- lots and lots of background "featurettes" - including for each episode. The how-to on making a zombie via makeup is going to make it easier for me to watch those scenes.

Survival knowledge dividend of The Walking Dead:

I'm not seeing one, unless a zombie virus actually does emerge one day. In which case, you gotta pierce the brain....

The 1977 Winnebego seems like a nice piece of zombie survival gear -- especially the rooftop observation deck.

#238402 - 01/01/12 05:45 AM Re: The Walking Dead - AMC series [Re: Dagny]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
You can also catch the 2nd season in iTunes, IIRC. I've been a long time fan. Even read some of the comics before it was announced it would be a tv show.

For those just coming into the show during this mid season hiatus, there is a live show that airs right after each new episodes called, The Talking Dead. Its a 30 minute show that reviews the new episode and they usually have one of the shows actors, fx guys, producer or writer on. I dig that kind of stuff.

#238405 - 01/01/12 06:16 AM Re: The Walking Dead - AMC series [Re: Dagny]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Dagny
I just now checked and those are now selling for $9.99 So I just now bought two sets to give to friends. Haven't decided which friends...

If you can't find any willing friends, give me a holler. I might buy one set off of you, if my son doesn't go out and buy the DVD's first (he's a fan too).

#238411 - 01/01/12 01:03 PM Re: The Walking Dead - AMC series [Re: Dagny]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Bought the DVDs. Watch online - Google Walking Dead and you'll get a variety of choices.

Pretty good show, more realistic than not. But then again, I'm a zombie fan anyhow.

#238414 - 01/01/12 04:20 PM Re: The Walking Dead - AMC series [Re: Dagny]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Dagny
Is this discussion out-of-bounds for the campfire section of ETS?

Nope. As long as we continue to remain within the rules regarding tone and tastefulness I don't see a problem.

chaosmagnet

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 ... 16 17 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.