Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 13 of 17 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 >
Topic Options
#243818 - 03/26/12 07:49 PM Re: The Walking Dead - AMC series [Re: Dagny]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: Dagny
There's a fun exercise as we await Season 3. Going back to the pilot episode, what would we do differently? If anyone's game, I'll study Google Map and make my game plan.

I'm still of the opinion that the best survival strategy would be bugging in & hiding.

I get why Rick would hit the road to try & find his family, but beyond that I'd say the group would have had better success putting down roots than they did embracing their nomadic tenancies. The Mad Max styled road trip might make for good drama, but I can't help but think it's a mighty poor survival strategy.

As far as specifics go, I think Rick & family (& whoever wanted) could have been well served by simply turning around and heading home once they were reunited.

More recently, I think they could have easily held the farm and stayed there.

#243819 - 03/26/12 07:58 PM Re: Walking Dead - Zombie Longevity [Re: Nato7]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

#243872 - 03/27/12 05:53 PM Re: Walking Dead - Zombie Longevity [Re: Nato7]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Actually, in the zombie series I write, strictly for fun, I came up with a solution why my zombies last for months and months.

#244532 - 04/06/12 02:58 PM Re: The Walking Dead - AMC series [Re: Lono]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: Lono
I think this is very realistic - the real doomsday preppers are heads down in their bunkers, waiting out the disease, not running about in a group without real preparations, providing the entertainment for the rest of us.
As I understand the timeline, roughly 45 days elapsed between Rick being abandoned at hospital and his waking up. Even if people who were not prepared, had time to locate resources. In particular, we know that when they were camping new the city, Glenn made many solo trips to pick up supplies. So I blame him for not collecting more useful gear.

Whether or not it's realistic, it makes the show less interesting. I want to watch people being smarter than me, having ideas I didn't think of. Stupidity is boring.

Quote:
Real survival is probably far less daring and far more boring - reduce mobility to zero, lock the gates and doors, go above ground where zombies can't follow, and wait for rot to take its course.
In this fictional universe the zombies seem to retain mobility indefinitely. One of my biggest fears would be getting treed by a hoard of them, and still being treed by the same hoard 2 years later. I would try to keep mobile. It's easy to out-pace the zombies. By all means set up base in a farm, but if threatened I'd be quick to abandon it, with the idea of returning later when the zombies have moved on. It seems it'd be straightforward to encourage them to move on; once they start walking they don't stop.

Quote:
Also I am a little surprised that in a nation with over 400 million guns, they aren't finding them littering the streets.
Quite so. It seems with the general population depleted, finding resources should be easy. There should be any number of abandoned farms; they didn't need to stick with the first they found.

#245614 - 05/05/12 12:59 AM Re: The Walking Dead - AMC series [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Many TWD fans like myself may be excited to know that news broke this week that Netflix has approached CBS about re-booting"Jericho" - the CBS series that ran from 2006-08.

For those not in the know, Jericho was a post-apocalyptic scenario in which two dozen U.S. cities (including Washington, D.C.) are nuked. Jericho is a small town in Kansas that is largely unaffected by radiation but which suffers from EMP knocking out the power grid and communications and other challenges of TEOTWAWKI.

The stories center on the community and it's characters' struggles to survive.

Netflix is currently streaming the existing Jericho episodes (29 total) and if you aren't already a Netflix subscriber you can take advantage of their 30-day free trial period.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/01/netflix-may-resurrect-jericho-canceled-cbs-drama/

Netflix in the past year has embarked on a new strategy of creating original content, including reprising some excellent shows that have committed fan bases but were cancelled by the networks. The Walking Dead never would have seen the light of day on TV if its fate had hinged on one of the three networks. Jericho was ahead of its time - turned out the Nielsen rating system had no way of gauging how many viewers were watching Jericho via one of the earliest streaming efforts on CBS's website at the time and so viewership was undercounted. Jericho was also aired head-to-head against Fox's American Idol at its zenith which was not helpful to Jericho's ratings.

So Netflix has seen the potential in Jericho and that is no doubt related to TWD's tremendous success.

#245622 - 05/05/12 04:33 AM Re: The Walking Dead - AMC series [Re: Dagny]
Slatu Offline
Stranger

Loc: Central New England
To compliment Dagny's recommendation of Jericho, I will suggest a show called Jeremiah found on Hulu. The Walking Dead is fantastic, but in this fantasy apocalyptic scenario (with no zombies), the other humans might turn out to be the most dangerous of all.

#245660 - 05/06/12 10:09 AM Re: The Walking Dead - AMC series [Re: Dagny]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Just like to comment that the Walking Dead is going on a finnish tv channel that is owned by Fox Company. Season one, third episode that airs tonight.

Not shure if I like it or not. Somehow it bothers me with all these headshots and bloodsplatter. Am I a sissy or what....

#245676 - 05/06/12 08:01 PM Re: The Walking Dead - AMC series [Re: Slatu]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Slatu
To compliment Dagny's recommendation of Jericho, I will suggest a show called Jeremiah found on Hulu. The Walking Dead is fantastic, but in this fantasy apocalyptic scenario (with no zombies), the other humans might turn out to be the most dangerous of all.

+1 for both shows. Gotta say, I'm a little happy to hear there's a possibility of reprising Jericho. :-)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#245809 - 05/11/12 12:00 AM Re: The Walking Dead - AMC series [Re: Dagny]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I also liked Jericho. IIRC they just left the finale hanging with the rival town mere seconds away from a frontal assault against the town of Jericho and the main characters squaring up behind barricades to repel them.

Speaking of what Netflix is doing with original content, they've been busy. Lilyhammer is a not so subtle continuation of Steven Van Zandts character Silvio from the Sopranos. Netflix developed, produced and shot the whole season and released it all online on the same day back February. And they have contracted all the original cast of Arrested Development for a season of filming new episodes. I think 10 are planned.

#246576 - 06/03/12 04:35 PM Re: The Walking Dead - AMC series [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Marathon plus a primetime live special on TWD. For me, this will be must-see TV:

http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/2012/05/the-walking-dead-preview-weekend.php

"AMC announced today The Walking Dead Season 3 Preview Weekend on Sat., Jul. 7 and Sun., Jul. 8 beginning at 11:30AM/10:30c each day. Airing just one week before Comic-Con, the two-day programming event will feature a marathon of all 19 episodes from the series' critically acclaimed first two seasons, culminating with a Talking Dead live primetime special on Sun., Jul. 8 at 9/8c. The one-time-only airing of Talking Dead, hosted by Chris Hardwick (Nerdist), will be followed by a never-before-seen black and white version of The Walking Dead pilot episode at 10/9c. The special version of the series' first episode was created specifically for fans of The Walking Dead, as it holds true to the original black and white comic book, written by Robert Kirkman."

Page 13 of 17 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.