Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#246696 - 06/07/12 03:47 AM Re: BOB: Tarp vs. tent? [Re: haertig]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

If you apply the same weight consideration of tent vs. tarp (choosing the twice-as-heavy option) to the rest of the stuff in your BOB, the BOB will weigh a whole lot and will be an impediment to your bugging out, much like a boat anchor.

If weight is so slight a concern, then it is not really a man-portable BOB, it is a car camping rig.

People who don't believe that "ounces become pounds, and pounds become pain" have not put in the time under a heavy ruck.

#246703 - 06/07/12 06:43 AM Re: BOB: Tarp vs. tent? [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
If weight is so slight a concern, then it is not really a man-portable BOB, it is a car camping rig.

Quite true. And that's mostly what I'm looking for. I have no illusion that I'm going to be walking off miles and miles into the wilderness to survive for years with nothing more than the BOB on my back. That might be a fun fantasy to think about, but it's not realistic. Pretty much the BOB would be to get from the house to the truck, drive a bit, then from the truck to a nearby camping spot, then back to the truck, etc. It wouldn't be for a cross-country march. If I have a 72 hour bag, well, that would just about get me the 30 miles from the north end of town to the south end (if hiking). And I'm not sure why I'd want to hike down to the south end of town in the first place.

I'm not in an area that has large scale disasters. No flooding, no hurricanes, no earthquakes, no volcanoes. The occassional small F1 tornado that might wipe out a block or two. But that's about it. I guess we could get nuked, but walking miles and miles through the radioactive fallout doesn't sound like a good idea.

So yeah, pretty much a car camping rig is what I think would be most useful. But I would want something that I could get from the house to a car, or from one car to another. So I don't want an ungainly 10 cubic foot 200lb kit (but that would be nice for a "BOB" that is permanently stored in the truck). Hence the backpack container for it all. "Portable enough" for short transfers, but not really a hiking rig.

#246707 - 06/07/12 08:35 AM Re: BOB: Tarp vs. tent? [Re: haertig]
frediver Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: N.Cal.
If you are planning on using it with your truck it makes the choice much easier. Get a tarp, use the shell on your truck for normal shelter.
When you can't do that you then fall back on the tarp shelter.

#246708 - 06/07/12 01:51 PM Re: BOB: Tarp vs. tent? [Re: haertig]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: haertig
So yeah, pretty much a car camping rig is what I think would be most useful.

Well put. In that case, I would go with a deluxe 3-man tent which means it's decently sized for 2, yet still packable. The REI-branded tents are a really good value. I recently compared the REI, Big Agnes, Nemo, and Marmot 3-man tents at the local REI store. I set up, inspected, and broke down each one.

I went with the Marmot LimeLight 3. I feel it is well designed and constructed. It includes a custom footprint which can be set up with the fly and poles alone if desired. Major material selections (floor, zippers, fly, etc) were about 1 notch heavier duty than the other brands. This made it ideal for car camping. This is not a dig on the other tents, they have to make those compromises to shave 1 or 2 pounds, which is a big deal when on foot.

#246717 - 06/07/12 04:06 PM Re: BOB: Tarp vs. tent? [Re: haertig]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I agree with looking at the purpose of the BO (Bug Out). All-in-all the tarp is the option for me. The tarp, as has been pointed out, is far more versatile.

#246718 - 06/07/12 04:18 PM Re: BOB: Tarp vs. tent? [Re: haertig]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: haertig
I guess we could get nuked, but walking miles and miles through the radioactive fallout doesn't sound like a good idea.

It wouldn't be a good idea, I have to agree.

I'm expecting we'll get EMP'd rather than explosively nuked and have built my BOB strategy on that basis. The EMP scenario puts one afoot a long way from home where the supplies are. The environment is benign but without modern transport- it's a long way home. Hopefully there won't be massive riots in downtown Niwot.....

Edited by unimogbert (06/07/12 04:19 PM)

#246719 - 06/07/12 04:32 PM Re: BOB: Tarp vs. tent? [Re: unimogbert]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: unimogbert
Hopefully there won't be massive riots in downtown Niwot.....

I hope not! Niwot might be one of the places I'd be bugging out to! I'm right around the corner, so to speak, in Broomfield. I don't think I could make it much farther than Niwot if I were hiking...

#246723 - 06/07/12 05:21 PM Re: BOB: Tarp vs. tent? [Re: Roarmeister]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
A third option is a bivy bag. About the same weight and volume as a medium sized tarp, it can provide more weather protection.

A fouth option is a Hennesy Hammock.

A fifth option is a tarp-poncho.

Each of these options are single user only whereas a tarp of similar weight can provide shelter for 2 or even 3.

A 6th option is the tipi:
http://kifaru.net/tipis.html

Though you could probably do this with a big enough tarp.

#246744 - 06/08/12 02:53 AM Re: BOB: Tarp vs. tent? [Re: MDinana]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
A seventh option would be a nice rock shelter - no weight at all, and extremely protective. They are very common on the Colorado Plateau, especially in Four Corners country. Too bad if you are elsewhere......

My best nights outdoors have been in such shelters.

#246745 - 06/08/12 03:00 AM Re: BOB: Tarp vs. tent? [Re: hikermor]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: hikermor
A seventh option would be a nice rock shelter - no weight at all,

Have you been putting those rocks in other people's packs again???

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 261 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.