Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#246451 - 05/30/12 06:25 PM Summer Survival Kit Switch-over?
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
It seems like Mother Nature has made up her mind that we're sticking with the summer weather so I've started switching over my edc/dayhiking/ghb kit to a summer set-up. There's still a big temperture range between the days and nights, anywhere from 10C - 39C in the last week or two, and we're still getting spring rain and T-storms, but it seems that we're past the cold and freezing weather. With that change comes a change in priorities from staying warm to staying cool.

Outgoing items include:
-heavyweight warm clothes
-extra wool socks
-extra wool mitts and hat
-wool blanket
-chemical warmers
-ax

Incoming items include:
-change of lightweight clothes (with long sleeve and pants)
-extra ankle socks
-bug spray
-sun screen
-boonie hat
-extra water bottles
-mosquito netting
-extra bandana

Is there anything specific that you add or remove to switch over to a summer set up?

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#246453 - 05/30/12 07:12 PM Re: Summer Survival Kit Switch-over? [Re: bacpacjac]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i don't recall all the gear you had in the winter set up but maybe a couple of those small packs of Gatoraid type drink powder for really hot days to help rehydrate.

#246455 - 05/30/12 08:08 PM Re: Summer Survival Kit Switch-over? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Very minor--just take the winter boots out of the car. Lately our winters have been very mild.

I was surprised that you take the wool blanket out though. Sometimes even in spring/summer, the nights are more comfortable with a blanket. Also, a blanket can be a life-saver if someone gets wet in a cold windy thunderstorm or the like, and starts to get hypothermia--wool is handy as it will still keep them warm if it gets wet. I'm curious--Do you have a lighter weight alternative in the car?

#246456 - 05/30/12 08:18 PM Re: Summer Survival Kit Switch-over? [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I don't even take the snow shovel out of my car laugh.

#246459 - 05/30/12 08:52 PM Re: Summer Survival Kit Switch-over? [Re: bws48]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: bws48

I was surprised that you take the wool blanket out though. Sometimes even in spring/summer, the nights are more comfortable with a blanket. Also, a blanket can be a life-saver if someone gets wet in a cold windy thunderstorm or the like, and starts to get hypothermia--wool is handy as it will still keep them warm if it gets wet. I'm curious--Do you have a lighter weight alternative in the car?

I haven't yet but was planning to when it gets a little warmer at night. Now I'm rethinking it. I usually switch out to a lighter fleece liner bag. Thanks bws48!

#246460 - 05/30/12 08:55 PM Re: Summer Survival Kit Switch-over? [Re: chaosmagnet]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
I don't even take the snow shovel out of my car laugh.

I leave mine in the Jeep too, along with the ax and the wool blanket. wink

#246464 - 05/31/12 12:08 AM Re: Summer Survival Kit Switch-over? [Re: bacpacjac]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Emergency Poncho
Lip Balm

Jeanette Isabelle

#246465 - 05/31/12 12:43 AM Re: Summer Survival Kit Switch-over? [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks Jeanette.

Here's a list of the current contents, as the bag sits right now: (I'll pretty this up later and add pics. It's currently organized by the pockets I had in my old backpack. That pack bit the dust on a hike a couple of weeks ago and I'm still fiddling with it's replacement, trying to find the right home for everything.)

Lanyard
FOX 40, squeeze LED, Gerber Clutch, ferro rod, Star Wars LED

Pockets and Belt
Altoids tin tinder and firestarting kit, supplimented Ritter PSK, Leatherman Wave(with Mag solitare, ferro rod, scraper and two straw-sealed PJ cotton balls in sheath)

First Aid
CPR face mask and shield, 2 pairs nitrile gloves, 2 small zip lock bags, 2 large zip lock bags, trash bag, FAK (augmented AMK Field Trauma Kit) OTC meds, prescription meds for DS

Use it often stuff
Sunglasses, Buff, lip balm with spf, sunscreen and bug juice, local maps and compass, Katdayn Micro filter water bottle, LED lightstick, LED headlamp, (hard shell) glasses case

Gadget Bag
Frontier straw, aquapur tabs, compass, note pad, golf pencil, crazy glue, emerg poncho, thin maxi pad and tampon, AAA LED flashlight, Gerber Vise, straw wrapped in duct tape, ferro rod, sheath with mini BIC and spark lite, sheath with SAK farmer, scalpel blade and Australian Field Ration Eating Device (P38 can opener with spoon on the end) , mini sewing kit, med vial with 5 AAAs, toilet paper, and mini altoids tin with PJ cotton balls, match safe (with strike anywhere matches, 2 cotton balls and 2 birthday candles for DS to practice with)

Water and Cooking
Esbit stove and 12 tabs, SS water bottle nested in tin can nested in a gsi style cup, small aluminum pan, aluminum foil, spoon

Shelter
GI poncho, 6X9 blue tarp of despair, 2 person Heat Sheet, clear plastic contractor's drop cloth, 100 ft 550, 100 ft jute twine, tent stakes, 2 hand warmers, Ruko Muela fixed blade, silk sleeping bag liner, wool blanket (bungeed to outside of pack)

Clothes
Gortex jacket (with merino wool socks, underwear, mitts and bandana in pockets), LS wool-blend shirt, lined wind pants, blaze orange thinsulate watch cap, leather work gloves

Food and Drinks
VIA, hot choco, peppermint tea, tang, bannock mix, 3 cliff bars, jerky, sesame honey bars, peanut MMs and 1 MH meal, instant oatmeal

Edited by bacpacjac (05/31/12 07:05 PM)

#246466 - 05/31/12 12:52 AM Re: Summer Survival Kit Switch-over? [Re: bacpacjac]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

You need to move to Ohio where it goes from winter in the morning to summer in the afternoon to winter in the evening again.

#246467 - 05/31/12 01:14 AM Re: Summer Survival Kit Switch-over? [Re: bacpacjac]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I don't have a winter kit except for some fleece jackets... but try to always have at least 1/2 case of bottled water and 1/2 case of GatorAid in the car for shooting matches...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.