The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#246313 - 05/26/12 06:16 PM $2.00 Stove Find
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Found this sweet old Coleman Peak 1 Model 400 stove at a garage sale today. Paid $2.00 for it and it works like a charm. Not sure what I will do with the stove yet but will make active use of it, probably on canoe trips where the extra weight of the stove and naphtha fuel is not a concern.

Original Box

Original Manual and receipt. The date on the receipt is Jan. 20, 1983.

The stove still has fuel in it but no telling what vintage the fuel is, but the stove fired up on the first try.

John Lubbock

#246314 - 05/26/12 06:47 PM Re: $2.00 Stove Find [Re: Teslinhiker]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

That is a fantastic find - congrats!

Wish I had garage sales near me. In my 'hood's "estate sales" I'm much more likely to find a gazillion old political books than one decent piece of camping gear.

#246316 - 05/26/12 07:40 PM Re: $2.00 Stove Find [Re: Teslinhiker]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
You can clean it up with a little CLR to clean out any rust and grime. Even though it lit on first use, you should be able to bring it back to near new performance. Congrats on the find.

Edited by Roarmeister (05/26/12 07:40 PM)

#246317 - 05/26/12 07:45 PM Re: $2.00 Stove Find [Re: Dagny]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Dagny

That is a fantastic find - congrats!

Wish I had garage sales near me. In my 'hood's "estate sales" I'm much more likely to find a gazillion old political books than one decent piece of camping gear.

I found a qualofill sleeping bag for $20. The owner thought it was down until I proved to him that it doesn't stuff like a down bag. Most garage sales don't have quality type equipment unless the owners don't know what they have. smile

I'm still looking for somebody selling their old inherited coin collection for $100 but worth $10k. smile

#246319 - 05/26/12 08:22 PM Re: $2.00 Stove Find [Re: Teslinhiker]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i used that model Peak on canoe trips in the 80's and then moved to the Feather later on.they are a bit heavy but the tank holds a lot of fuel and they can take a beating and still run fine.
look around for the square case/cook kit and you will have all you need in the way of pot set.you can get a fine simmer with that adjusting lever and don't forget to swing the legs out,i have put a 3 quart pot on mine.
if you have never used one my advice is be careful on the pre-heat.if you flood the burner you will get a real fire ball.
in cold weather i use a bit of fire paste under the generator.

#246325 - 05/27/12 12:09 AM Re: $2.00 Stove Find [Re: Teslinhiker]
widget Offline
Addict

That was a lucky find! I had one of these many years ago, same model with the dual controls. Fantastic cooking stove for backpacking. On the heavy side but really adjustable flame and quiet. I would buy another if they still made them. I watch ebay but they always go for too much money:)

Enjoy the stove, definately a keeper!

#246344 - 05/27/12 03:15 PM Re: $2.00 Stove Find [Re: widget]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: widget
That was a lucky find! I had one of these many years ago, same model with the dual controls. Fantastic cooking stove for backpacking. On the heavy side but really adjustable flame and quiet. I would buy another if they still made them. I watch ebay but they always go for too much money:)

Yes this stove is quiet as compared to most modern gas stoves. At one time I had an ancient Coleman 500A stove in mint condition with the original mint box and manual, that in retrospect I should of never got rid of. I was doing some research earlier this am and there is a very large collectors interest in the old Coleman stoves and some command hefty prices...

John Lubbock

#246348 - 05/27/12 07:01 PM Re: $2.00 Stove Find [Re: Teslinhiker]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I have that exact stove too. Heavy and bulky by todays standards, but a real solid workhorse. I use it for car camping these days. Unfortunately, I haven't been backpacking for quite a few years now. This stove is probably not the best backpacking choice due to size/weight, unless your trip is short and these things are not an issue. Great for a bug out bag (a vehical bug-out bag that is) and/or car camping.

#246357 - 05/27/12 08:36 PM Re: $2.00 Stove Find [Re: Teslinhiker]
widget Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Originally Posted By: widget

Yes this stove is quiet as compared to most modern gas stoves. At one time I had an ancient Coleman 500A stove in mint condition with the original mint box and manual, that in retrospect I should of never got rid of. I was doing some research earlier this am and there is a very large collectors interest in the old Coleman stoves and some command hefty prices...

When I sold mine to someone it was because I bought a Coleman Model 550 Multi-fuel. I never once lit the 550. It is new in the box with all papers and tools. I started using a canister stove and I also have a few MSR stoves. I bought a Coleman Apex II stove and it is NIB as well. I bought them with the intent of using them but the darn canister stove is just so light and easy!

If you have other stoves, there is such a thing as a "silent burner cap" made to fit certain models. That will make a stove like the MSR Dragonfly as quiet as the Coleman. It is all in the burner design.

#249319 - 08/01/12 04:13 AM Re: $2.00 Stove Find [Re: Teslinhiker]
ChicagoCraig Offline

Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker

(Mods: I've helped Doug back in Feb with some technical issue on this site so given that context I am hoping this post is okay)

I read the words "quiet" and "stove" wanted to mentioned the QuietStove. It reduces the noise level of backpacking/mountaineering stoves in half (it lowers the sound pressure level by 10db). It also outputs more heat compared to the flame spreader plate and improves simmering capabilities.

The QuietStove is available for the following stoves:
  • MSR Dragonfly
  • MSR XGK EX
  • Primus OmniFuel
  • Primus OmniLite Ti
Support for the Svea 123/123R coming soon.

Here are two videos we shot of Model 207 which fits the Primus OmniFuel. There was absolutely nothing dubbed or otherwise edited - what you view and here in these videos is raw camera output (aside from the YouTube annotations).

Without the QuietStove
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsUPCRWM_UE

With the QuietStove
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anWN9vZEv8E

There are some photos posted in our forum with a sound meter measuring the QuiteStove Model 311 running on a Primus OmniLite Ti with White Gas, Kerosene, and Canister Gas and also the same for the stock flame plate.

http://www.quietstove.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=445

The QuietStove can be purchased from our store: http://store.quietstove.com

Thanks,

Craig

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.