Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#246450 - 05/30/12 05:46 PM Re: Blast match + airport security = sadness [Re: dougwalkabout]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

With my previous experience in counter terrorism and intelligence, I will tell you that I KNOW (though actual reports are classified) that the security measures in place are a deterrent to many terrorist attempts to attack commercial aircraft. There have been more attempts than have been publicized that have been caught and some groups that turn to other targets because they view commercial air as too difficult.

That said, as with any organization, procedures may be well thought out and planned, but the problem is with the implementation. You are limited by how trainable your people are and their level of professionalism. You also have a tedious job, with a great many of complaining and irate passengers to deal with. I am surprised it works as well as it does. As for some of the methods or technologies, they are in response to specific attempts at attacking aircraft. It is a constant battle with the terrorists to keep ahead of their innovative methods. But if anyone thinks that they are not trying, they are. This is only my word, but the word of someone who until a year ago had complete access to all of that information.

I know it sounds a bit corny, but put yourself in the shoes of someone trying to manage a system which is responsible for maintaining security for such a large and geographically distributed industry, and with the tools that are available with a real and frequent threat. Like I said, I am surprised it works as well as it does.

#246457 - 05/30/12 08:22 PM Re: Blast match + airport security = sadness [Re: dougwalkabout]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I find it difficult to reply to this thread without needing to moderate myself. Let's only be talking about non-controversial, practical things like what to bring, what to check, and what to leave at home.

Thanks,

chaosmagnet

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.