Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#246347 - 05/27/12 05:16 PM Re: Backpacks [Re: Bingley]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

maybe i should have said "in Minnesota"---
i don't get around much so it's like the world stops at Wisconsin with stories about these places to the West with big hills"mountains"? and to the South where the corn and pigs come from.....
the border up there is very wild and snakes around so much that you can canoe through a passage between islands that can't be anymore that 50 feet wide with the US on one and Canada on the other side,or stand on a rocky point along a river,the Bottle,and have Canada just feet away in mid-river on either side of you.
the treaty that ended the Revolution allows you to walk the portages that might be in Canada,or the US if you are from Canada, but only to pass thru along the border.

#246360 - 05/27/12 11:12 PM Re: Backpacks [Re: Richlacal]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Richlacal
Without even looking,I'm fairly certain Vermont,New Hampshire,Maine,& The upper peninsula of Michigan are a tad further North,as well.If I'm wrong,It won't be the 1st time nor the last,I'm sure grin

The northern most part of the continental USA is the Northwest angle which is the only part of the country north of the '49th parallel. I learned this back in grade school. Northwest Angle The residents have to drive through southern Manitoba to get to and from their property. I'm a little surprised you Americans are not more aware of this tidbit. It a bit like learning that to get to Detroit you have to go NORTH from Windsor, Ontario. Or finding out that the border along the '49th parallel isn't a perfectly straight line but wobbles in a very minor zig zag by as much as a few hundred metres. (Original surveys were not as accurate as today's GPS systems.

#246386 - 05/29/12 03:32 AM Re: Backpacks [Re: MDinana]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: MDinana
I didn't like the LAPG 3-day bag, felt too cheap and lots of threads loose. Just seemed like you got what you paid for.

I was thinking about getting one of these for a backpack-type BOB. They are certainly inexpensive. I have a nice Deuter Futura 32 that I use for normal hiking around, so I really don't want to buy another "good" pack. Just something that will hold up well enough to make a reasonable BOB. Probably never to be used in real life - just sit in a closet loaded up with gear in case we have to leave quickly.

Do you think this LAPG bag would work for the BOB backpack purpose? I have some of LAPG branded stuff and I'm impressed with the quality. Their "Bail Out Bag" (handheld) and a MOLLE bad that they don't make anymore. I consider both of those, although inexpensive, quite heavy duty. I was hoping their 3-Day Pack would be similar. I will not be hiking day after day with this thing, even in an emergency, so I don't need the ultimate in comfort. This would be for emergency bug-out only (I might actually wear it from the house out to the truck, then throw it into the truck bed!)

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.