Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#246130 - 05/22/12 01:21 PM Backpacks
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Help me find the perfect bug out backpack!

Currently my BOB is the Bailout Bag made by LA Police Gear. While it's sturdy, with many pockets and compartments for organization, I gradually realized (1) it's really heavy for what it can hold; (2) it doesn't hold much; (3) it's a shoulder bag, which is not as ergonomic. After my CERT course, I started liking backpacks a lot better (we were issued the CERT backpack for the duration of the course). The shoulder bag would be a pain if I have to walk on foot for any distance.

So I'm looking for something
-- Is ergonomic, or at least comfortable to carry. I don't want to put more than 40 pounds of stuff in the bag.
-- Isn't too heavy.
-- Has many pockets/compartments for organization.
-- Has pockets in front of the body, so if I want to get something I don't have to set the bag down.
-- Does not make me stand out. (This, and the weight requirement, may rule out a lot of tactical bags.)

There are probably other criteria that I am not yet aware. Maybe the discussion will help clarify what I need.

Alright, ye backpacking gods, hit me with your best shot! Thanks!

#246134 - 05/22/12 02:54 PM Re: Backpacks [Re: Bingley]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Head into an REI and pick out a pack that fits you - carrying 40 lbs, fit and comfort are your biggest priority. Usual drill - load the pack with 40 lbs of weight, and carry it around the store for 15-20 minutes while you're shopping for something else, and see if it fits your frame.

Personally I have settled on the Kelty MAP 3500, available at http://www.amronintl.com/kelty-map-3500-three-day-assault-pack.html. Its about $95 in the non-camo colors, its bomb proof, and carries a load well on my shoulders. I use one as my every day day pack out hiking, which carries gear for an emergency overnight etc. I don't think it meets your criteria for lots of pockets - it has no more pockets than the average pack, and imho no more pockets than are necessary. The MAP has tactical applications (I've seen military deploying with them) but fits in on the trail. I own a few, one has had weekly use for the past 3-4 years and it has held up really well, no tears or stress failures. I bought a couple more and built my office GHB in one, and another bag I keep at home. They fit my back and are familiar and comfortable from the get go, typically holding 25-30 lbs.

Gregory also makes some very nice packs, personally I like the Tarne for about $125.

In the event of a disaster, wearing a back pack will make you stick out no matter what you want. A tactical bag wouldn't really stand out so much more than another bag of similar heft. So you look like you might have bought it from Cabelas, big deal.

Edited by Lono (05/22/12 02:56 PM)

#246136 - 05/22/12 03:33 PM Re: Backpacks [Re: Lono]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
What does the Kelty 3500 weigh? Can't find it anywhere so usually
that means it is on the heavy side.

#246137 - 05/22/12 05:08 PM Re: Backpacks [Re: Bingley]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Ditto on REI. I'd also shop LL Bean (free shipping and great return policy) - I have several of their daypacks. The biggest I have is their "white mountain" pack for women. I usually catch them on sale. Excellent quality from a terrific company. The packs all come with a waterproof cover built in.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/1098?nav=ln

As for pockets on the front of the pack, I would simply add accessory bags/pockets. I have these two below from Campmor - super light. My fave of all time is one that was part of LL Bean's fishing bag collection several years ago. I like these accessory pack pockets for storing compass, firesteel, etc - basic survival gear that can then be easily switched out between different backpacks.

Horizontal backpack bag
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___42223

Vertical backpack bag
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___42222

I'm also fond of these "belt pouches" because they are light and spacious. And simple.

http://www.bepreparedtosurvive.com/Pouches%20&%20Bags.htm

In my SUV at all times is the LL Bean "Bigelow" pack that received Backpacker magazine's "Editors Choice" award several years running.

For serious non-auto "bugging out" I'd be wearing the Bigelow and putting the White Mountain atop one of my bike trailers that is outfitted with a cargo rack.

#246139 - 05/22/12 06:19 PM Re: Backpacks [Re: Bingley]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
REI stores have good stuff that you can pull off the shelf and try. +1 on that recommendation. Look at their supply of Osprey and Arc'trex they, come in more civilian coloring and hold up well.

For years I EDC a Bug Out Bag brand (BOB) backpack. it is very close to bombproof, trust me, I destroyed it. its a cross between an assault pack and a day pack so lots of dedicated areas for pens, laptop, hydration, descent sized main pack. I used it for business and personal EDC without a second glance. I use a GORUCK GR1 now and probably wont buy another day pack ever again.

I would stay away from 5.11 bags. Say what you want on their other gear and clothes but I have destroyed there Rush 18 and Rush 24 packs in less than a month. I mean to the point of unusable.

I also recommend Mystery Ranch. They make outstanding packs, more than you would ever need for durability and adaptability.

#246140 - 05/22/12 06:24 PM Re: Backpacks [Re: Bingley]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Backpacks and proper fit and needs are as individualistic as shoes or boots. What fits and works for one person may not be right for you. Before purchasing, head out to the local gear stores and try out various packs. Most stores have different weights that will allow you to judge the fit and comfort level as a full 40 lb pack will fit and feel much different then the same pack when it is 1/2 or any 1/4 full.

John Lubbock

#246145 - 05/22/12 06:39 PM Re: Backpacks [Re: Bingley]
GoatMan Offline

Originally Posted By: Bingley
So I'm looking for something
-- Is ergonomic, or at least comfortable to carry. I don't want to put more than 40 pounds of stuff in the bag.
-- Isn't too heavy.
-- Has many pockets/compartments for organization.
-- Has pockets in front of the body, so if I want to get something I don't have to set the bag down.
-- Does not make me stand out. (This, and the weight requirement, may rule out a lot of tactical bags.)

You may need to revisit your requirements first.
  • Lots of pockets/compartments for organization cause the pack to be heavy. If you want it light, reduce the overall number of pockets and unnecessary material.
  • Most any pack carrying anywhere near 40lbs is going to stand out. I assume you're wanting to carry good/comfortable shelter and overnight items to get to that weight? Generally, the smaller the pack, the less you will stand out.
You have to pick your pack only after you know what you need to put into it. While we all want to be prepared, really spend some time evaluating what you feel you are likely and even somewhat unlikely to encounter, sort your items and then pick the pack to fit. The closer you can get to a bag that resembles a general laptop bag or school bag, the better off you will be. Then just don't have it packed so full it looks like your splitting the seams. Ideally, needs to look more natural with extra space for a jacket, etc. If your circumstances are such that you need a large pack, you just have to give up staying under the radar.

#246146 - 05/22/12 07:07 PM Re: Backpacks [Re: clearwater]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Originally Posted By: clearwater
What does the Kelty 3500 weigh? Can't find it anywhere so usually
that means it is on the heavy side.

Honestly I don't know - I lost 70 lbs a few years ago, and anything I put on my back is gravy these days. The Kelty MAP is made of Cordura nylon so is probably heavier than equivalent back packs made of less durable nylon, but not inordinately so - its a low profile pack that packs the majority of your gear on your waist and not on your shoulders, so all in all it doesn't seem very heavy to me empty or loaded. An email to Amron Intl may get you an answer - I'll guess maybe 3-4 lbs. I find Kelty brand packs aren't in the lowest weight category, but they are well built and I like to carry them.

One other bit on your requirements, if you're packing 40 lbs in a BOB I submit you're over packing: I can pack full overnight gear and 3 days food in a Kelty. 40 lbs may be at the upper limit of many packs, particularly lightweight ones - the Gregory Tarne I cited weighs probably 2 lbs, is a great pack, but you would be maxing it with 40 lbs. I had similar issue with another Gregory lightweight pack - it was terrific with 25-30 lbs, but a bear to lug around with 35 lbs.

There are all sorts of ways to go, you can't go wrong if you spend some time finding what is comfortable for you - for me, at $95 I think the Kelty MAP has been a good choice.

#246151 - 05/22/12 07:47 PM Re: Backpacks [Re: Bingley]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I love this bag for comfort, sturdiness, and cost: http://www.lapolicegear.com/diplomat-3-day-backpack1.html . It may be too tactical-looking for you.

I've also done very well buying Camelbak bags on closeout. I have a pair that serve as the primary BOBs for my wife and I.

#246170 - 05/22/12 11:30 PM Re: Backpacks [Re: chaosmagnet]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I didn't like the LAPG 3-day bag, felt too cheap and lots of threads loose. Just seemed like you got what you paid for.

That being said, I have pretty much the same bag from Cheaper Than Dirt. Kind of heavy, but holds a lot, sort of comfortably. I did 5 miles in it the other day.

I bought something this for work/daily use - really wish I'd bought 2, as it would have a made a good light BOB. As it is, this bag would be my 'get home' bag if situation warranted.
http://www.amronintl.com/kelty-peregrine-29-backpack.html

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 273 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.