The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#246231 - 05/23/12 07:03 PM Re: Backpacks [Re: RNewcomb]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Swiss Gear is pretty solid stuff, you can buy it places like Circuit City (when they were around), but for some reason I don't like it. Nothing I can put a finger on either. I do have one of their computer briefcases, but rarely use it. But, yes, it's a valid option, relatively robust and low key. The prices can be pretty high though.

#246233 - 05/23/12 07:17 PM Re: Backpacks [Re: Lono]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Yeah Cabellas does push camo. Wish they had more stuff in solid black. I did look at the Skyline and it is far too small. However, hi tec has a 35 liter pack in off olive green that might be right for the guy who started this thread. As for huge packs drawing attention, my own mock bug out last week was an eye opener. and a #@%! buster. I'll be posting the details of it on my site.
+

#246235 - 05/23/12 07:46 PM Re: Backpacks [Re: Bingley]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
No ALICE pack fans here?

Bob

#246237 - 05/23/12 07:52 PM Re: Backpacks [Re: ILBob]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Don't really care for the ALICE myself. Bad memories, lol.

#246244 - 05/23/12 10:47 PM Re: Backpacks [Re: Treeseeker]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Treeseeker

That's what I use for a daypack/bookpack as well, although it has to be about 7-8 years old now. It says it can hold 30 litres but that's only if you stuff the side water bottle pockets and the back mesh pocket. In reality it's more like a 20 litre pack. I have an honest 30 litre daypack that I can stuff a lot more in it. (I have 6 backpacks in total.)

What I do like about the pack is the small waterproof pocket on the back. This is where I store my PSK, FAK, whistle, compass, SOAP notes, etc. I strap my Leatherman /w bit kit on one of the side straps, my camera /w spare batteries goes in the one of the side mesh pockets. The hydration bag sits in the pocket nearest the back which leaves the main pocket for gear like a jacket & lunch and the smaller secondary pocket for things like keys, pen/pencils, twisties, headlamp, etc. I suppose that if I used the lashing staps on the bottom I could really load it up if I wanted to.

The really fun thing about this daypack is that the waistbelt folds and hides behind the main panel. Most of the time I tuck it away on my trips to and from the office. On occassion, I will do up the chest strap and for heavier loads I will loosen the load levellers all the way and do up the waist belt so that the weight sits on the hips. 20#s is about the max you might want to use comfortably but I have toted a 25# load occassionaly.

It's uncommonly versatile - good for day hikes as well as a book pack or computer bag for my 14" laptop. It doesn't look obtusive or too colourful (mine is grey).

#246246 - 05/23/12 11:29 PM Re: Backpacks [Re: Roarmeister]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
I like the looks of the larger packs posted, but they all look
short. Even ordered a couple of the LL bean packs, but the waist
belt is up around my navel.

Any packs with a usable hip belt out there? Other than full on
multiday backpacking versions?

#246250 - 05/24/12 12:50 AM Re: Backpacks [Re: Bingley]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I went with Camelbaks for all of us. We do biking/hiking/etc so there are at times others with them so we blend in.
I did buy myself the military one in blank and the wife and kids have the more colorful consumer ones.

#246253 - 05/24/12 01:01 AM Re: Backpacks [Re: Bingley]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

There is no perfect bag. But I'd get one with nice padded straps and a belt strap - Maybe hydration? then, Don't carry everything (!) even a biggish school bag will work

#246261 - 05/24/12 04:47 AM Re: Backpacks [Re: Bingley]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Survival Resources sell a variety of Ribz packs,of which make things available upfront.They are not backpacks but an effective accessory to a backpack or Lumbar pack system.Can be used alone,should you need to go light,also eliminates putting all your eggs in 1 basket,so to speak.No affiliation with the above site other than a Longtime Very satisfied customer! cool

#246275 - 05/24/12 06:09 PM Re: Backpacks [Re: Bingley]
widget Offline
Addict

I have a Camelbak Rim Runner, 2007 model that I have used since 07. Nice bag, great quality overall. I had been using it every week for dayhikes until one day someone pointed me to a sale on Kelty packs. I bought a Kelty Peregrene 1800 pack for $40 with free shipping and transfered my normal daypack items over to the Kelty, including the hydration bladder. I then took it out to one of my regular trails and did a 6 mile hike.

I was amazed at how much more comfortable the Kelty was over my Camelbak. I had no sore spots, no aches or pains and pretty much felt like I had no pack on at all. I had even added more weight to the load because of weather, I added a sweater, rain jacket and rain pants. Great pack!

I used a Kelty Tioga pack for decades, one of the original made in USA Kelty packs and loved it until my mountaineering drove me to an internal frame pack. I need to try that old Kelty frame pack out again, just to see how it feels after all these years.
Kelty has always sold quality packs, especially back when they were made in California by the original company. They always have had decent prices too.

I just bought another Kelty 1800 Cu.in. pack that is black and gray and very light weight. We are going to Sea World, the San Diego Zoo, Disneyland, Balboa Park, the USS Midway and whatever else we can fit into the itinerary. I figured a good civilian pack that was semi expendable was what I needed and this pack was right at $30, shipped.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.