Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#246182 - 05/23/12 01:41 AM Re: Backpacks [Re: Bingley]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I'm tired and hungry after a workout, so let me just write a quick reply to acknowledge all this help--

Yes, I intend for the 40 lbs to be the theoretical upper limit. I would want to lug significantly less than that if I want to get anywhere. I just weighed my current kit (minus food & water, extra clothing, arms), and it comes out to around 18 lbs.

I have a Kelty ultralight backpack from REI. I'd mainly like to have more compartments, especially in the front, but as someone points out, that usually means more weight.

Thanks for your input, and I'll come back again when I have more questions to ask!

Edited by Bingley (05/23/12 01:41 AM)

#246201 - 05/23/12 03:39 AM Re: Backpacks [Re: Bingley]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
When I am contemplating a major pack purchase, I like to rent or borrow the model first and give it a good trial - at least an overnight. Teslinhiker is absolutely right when he talks about individual fit. What works for me may not be as good for you, and vice versa. Be aware that many of today's packs have fairly complex and intricate adjustment systems. The larger the pack, the more crucial these systems may be. I would think you would do well with something no larger than 4000 cubic inches, or even less, down to about 3500 cubic inches.

There are many fine brands of packs today. Even mediocre ones today are better than the top brands of a few years ago, although most "tactical" packs are rather unsophisticated, although they are tough. I use a Maxped Vulture II as an archaeological field pack - it stands up to rough work rather well, although it has some fairly laughable features that evidently give it tactical cred.

Don't forget you can modify and adopt any pack to your heart's content. It is easy to add custom pockets and the like.

#246209 - 05/23/12 12:48 PM Re: Backpacks [Re: Lono]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Whats wrong with Cabelleas? I buy from them and I'm a happy customer.

#246210 - 05/23/12 12:53 PM Re: Backpacks [Re: Bingley]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

I have seen the outdoors Skyline in the Big 5 papers for a long time. I'm going to try to check them out today. I'll let you know if I think it'll fit your needs.I myself am looking for a pack for my summer homeless survival training. not for the weak of heart or squeamish.

Edited by Snake_Doctor (05/23/12 12:57 PM)

#246211 - 05/23/12 01:06 PM Re: Backpacks [Re: Bingley]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Hey b ingley. Have you considered a sternum pack. It fits between your sternum strap buckles and they usually are well organized. also you can mount pouches/pockets on most shoulder straps, or sew them onto your pack wherever you wish.

#246212 - 05/23/12 01:13 PM Re: Backpacks [Re: hikermor]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

The term "Tactical" usually makes me lmao. Most of the so called tactical gear/wear/packs I wouldn't consider taking into the field. I destroy typical daypacks quickly, but I salvage the hardware, straps etc for repairs.

#246214 - 05/23/12 02:07 PM Re: Backpacks [Re: ]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor

Nothing at all as far as I'm concerned, I shop there too. I mentioned Cabelas because they have a habit of marketing their camo colored stuff more prominently than, say, JC Penney's, or REI. No worries, maybe more of their customers feel better buying camo colored stuff. I think it tends to stick out in urban environments, although net net a camo backpack sticks out no more than a guy lugging an oversized bright blue backpack after a disaster. Its the size more than the coloring that is noticeable - if you want to go unnoticed and blend in with the crowd, go for a smaller kit if you can. Most people will be unprepared, carrying at most a bottle of water and their cell phone.

#246215 - 05/23/12 02:32 PM Re: Backpacks [Re: Bingley]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
I love my North Face Recon backpack.

According to the user reviews at the above link, most of the purchasers are students so it won't stand out like a tactical backpack.

The pack is well built and has lots of pockets and adjustments. I just recently discovered that it even has a whistle built into the chest strap buckle. Another unique feature is reflective strips on the back.

Specs:
Average weight: 2 lbs 8 oz (1135 g)
Fabric: 420D nylon, 1680D ballistics nylon
Volume: 1830 in³ (30 liters)
Dimensions: 18.5 in. x 13 in. x 8 in. (48 cm x 34.5 cm x 20 cm)

I have been using backpacks for over 40 years and this is the best one I have owned. I have had it for about a year and I carry it 3-5 times a week. It is my BOB.

I got mine at Sports Authority.

#246217 - 05/23/12 03:43 PM Re: Backpacks [Re: ]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor

Only thing wrong with them is they're pretty regional (so is Big 5). I'd never heard of them until I moved to Missouri. Bass Pro Shops too, for that matter. And Eastern Mountain Sports. REI at least is relatively nation-wide. You may only have a store per state, but it's there.

Edited by MDinana (05/23/12 03:43 PM)

#246225 - 05/23/12 05:41 PM Re: Backpacks [Re: Bingley]
RNewcomb Offline

Loc: Iowa
I am in the IT Business, so I needed something I could carry my Laptop and IPAD around in, as well as have lots of storage for stuff I would want to have with me everyday.

This backpack is awesome!

http://www.amazon.com/Wenger-GA-7305-14F...4029&sr=8-1

It hold's my 15.4 inch laptop, my IPAD, a leather portfolio, all my charging adapters, first aid kit, knife, flashlight and tools with ease. It has a TON of pockets, but also has very large storage areas outside of the laptop area for gear, clothing, etc.

The handle on it is nothing short of impressive. This is a very well made backpack!

You'll notice there's 450+ reviews for this backpack, and it's got a 4+ star rating. And it doesn't stand out. Also has pockets for my Nalgene bottle.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.