The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#244549 - 04/06/12 04:40 PM Re: Smart phone recommendation needed [Re: ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Yep, I have an iPhone which I immediately wrapped up in a Mophie battery case. No where near as robust as my Nokia which landed on asphalt more times than I can count on my fingers. It was still working fine the day I "upgraded" to a Moto folder.

That said, if you think you may ever need to do any celestial navigation, Apps are available for the iPhone which can not only help you find the stars, but also crunch the numbers. If you don't have a sextant, the iPhone's internal gyro and display can imitate one -- that's another App. wink get a real sextant

#245875 - 05/14/12 06:20 PM Re: Smart phone recommendation needed [Re: ScouterMan]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Has anyone tried the aa chargers for cell phone? I've seen 1 aa and 2 aa battery styles

#245878 - 05/14/12 06:50 PM Re: Smart phone recommendation needed [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
TeacherRO...I tried my Goal Zero Guide 10 (4 AA) pack and works well with my old Motorola Razr (USB to miniUSB)...have not tried the 1 and 2 cell versions...

#245880 - 05/14/12 06:58 PM Re: Smart phone recommendation needed [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
Has anyone tried the aa chargers for cell phone? I've seen 1 aa and 2 aa battery styles

I have an Energizer-branded 2xAA charger for iPhones in each of our BOBs. They work well. I haven't used them enough to see how much of a charge you would get but I'd expect you'd get somewhere around 2/3rds of a full charge out of a pair of Energizer Ultimate Lithium primaries. I wouldn't recommend a single AA version for a smartphone.

Other than as a customer, I have no affiliation with Apple or Energizer.

#245882 - 05/14/12 07:26 PM Re: Smart phone recommendation needed [Re: ScouterMan]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I'm in the market for a new phone after about 6 years of having the same phone, a Treo 700, original battery. It has worked fine on the tops of ski resorts, such as Heavenly, Snowbird, and Steamboat. It has been a good run. I doubt the phones today will have that longevity and ruggedness. I'm going to miss this phone.

Anyway, I'm basing my decision on the carrier first. I'm probably going with Verizon. If the intent is to have an abnormally rugged phone, there are only one or two options for each carrier. I personally don't need a phone that I can drop kick into a river. My options are open. I'm fine with buying the comprehensive insurance and treating the phone with normal care.

Not surprisingly, a phone I would have selected in January 2012 would not have been my choice today in May 2012. The technology is moving so fast. Currently, I want a phone on Verizon, operating with Android 4.0, virtual keyboard, access to 4G network, not huge. Now, there is the Samsung Nexus. It almost fits this criteria, except it's too big. Also, I don't like the 2-year contract in order to get a good deal. I'm probably going to get a used phone from Craig's List so I can avoid the contract.

#245883 - 05/14/12 07:37 PM Re: Smart phone recommendation needed [Re: jzmtl]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: jzmtl
Well everyone is going to recommend the phone they have, so here's a plug for Samsung galaxy s2 from me. it's almost a year old and still one of the fastest phone on the market, galaxy nexus is close but no SD card kills it, 16 GB isn't enough when you starts to store all sorts of crap on it. Battery life isn't the best, but smart phones are like that, and unlike iphone you can always carry a spare battery.

When I need water/moisture proofing, I just drop it in a ziplock bag.

Samsung Nexus is running the newer Android 4.0. Will my life be OK without this operating system?

#245884 - 05/14/12 08:37 PM Re: Smart phone recommendation needed [Re: ScouterMan]
RNewcomb Offline

Loc: Iowa
I have a 2AA USB Charger that has multiple connects for Cell Phones. I bought it at Interstate Battery, and it works great for charging up my cell phone - and it fits in my pocket if I know I am going to be out all day and using my phone alot away from AC Power.

However, I just purchased one of these:

Opteka BP-SC4000 Ultra Thin Solar Powered High Capacity (4000mAh) Backup Battery and Charger for Cell Phones and Ipads.

This little gem has an internal battery that will charge my Cell phone up about three times over, and will charge my Ipad to 50% (about five hours heavy use).

It's about $25 on Amazon.

It also has a built in Solar Panel to charge the internal battery, but it really requires direct sunlight to charge in any kind of meaningful time. It's lightweight and I keep in in backpack.

#245885 - 05/14/12 08:37 PM Re: Smart phone recommendation needed [Re: ScouterMan]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Originally Posted By: ireckon

Samsung Nexus is running the newer Android 4.0. Will my life be OK without this operating system?

4.0.3 is available as update for galaxy s2 (I'm running it now), so that's not a problem. Although mind you galaxy s2 in u.s. isn't the same as international version, hardware is different. Not a problem if you just use it as a regular phone, but if you are messing with the OS it's important to note which phone is the software intended for.

If you want to sign a contract however, s3 is only a month or two out, 1.4 ghz quad core and 720HD screen.

#245888 - 05/14/12 08:52 PM Re: Smart phone recommendation needed [Re: RNewcomb]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: RNewcomb
Opteka BP-SC4000 Ultra Thin Solar Powered High Capacity (4000mAh) Backup Battery and Charger for Cell Phones and Ipads.

I haven't seen this particular unit myself, but other super-inexpensive ones that I have seen and purchased didn't last very long. While the appeal of solar is great, I've chosen to carry a rechargeable battery that I need to top up every month or two with AA-powered chargers as the final backup.

#245889 - 05/14/12 08:59 PM Re: Smart phone recommendation needed [Re: ScouterMan]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
With all due respect for all the great opinions in this thread, but in a survival situation, battery life is an issue and from what I can see, the smart"er"phones are battery hogs.

I'm using an iPhone-4S and the first thing I bought was a Mophie Juice Pack Plus Case and Rechargeable Battery. It functions as both case and as an external battery that is always plugged into the iPhone. I keep a charging cable in the truck so I can top it up when I'm driving. Fortunately, it seems to be fine to leave these plugged in all the time.

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 414 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.