The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#245800 - 05/10/12 08:30 PM Mock Bug-out
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
My 8 year old son wanted to go on a mom and son hike this weekend to celebrate Mother's Day but my Grandma landed in hospital so I'm going to throw him into the Jeep and head out on a visit/mock bug-out.

We'll likely go to a Provincial Park and are going to live off the stuff that normally lives in the Jeep (i.e. the family BOB) and an extra duffel with a change of clothes (we may visit the in-laws on the way home, otherwise we'd just live off the clothes in the BOB) and toiletries. I'm also bringing our fishing gear and a camp camp chair for him.

[img]http://m1105.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/backpackjac/HPIM0305.jpg.html[/img]
EDIT: I need to organize that better!

He's meal planning right now. It sounds like I'd better get some good bait because apparently we're having fresh trout for dinner. :-)

Edited by bacpacjac (05/10/12 08:32 PM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#245830 - 05/11/12 06:29 PM Re: Mock Bug-out [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Way to make lemonade out of your lemons!

#245834 - 05/11/12 07:42 PM Re: Mock Bug-out [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

We had a family hike planned for Sunday but the hospital is about a 10 hour round trip so..... when he asked if we could camp I thought why not? It's actually the perfect opportunity.

He's decided that he'd like to use just our day hiking survival kits, supplemented by a stop at the grocery store. Again, I thought why not? The family BOB can be our backup but we're going to use our sleeping bags and thermarests because it's still getting cold at night and the boy doesn't have an ounce of fat on him.

He told me this morning that he wants to make his own shelter this time - but we'll sleep together in mine. I suggested that if we make the shelter together it will go up twice as fast or be twice as good, but whatever. As long as he's having fun, learning a little and being safe. I'm sure my Grandma will love hearing the stories he regales her with.

#245846 - 05/12/12 03:28 PM Re: Mock Bug-out [Re: bacpacjac]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Hey Jac,how was the trip? Snake free I hope. As for your little one making his own shelter I think it's a good idea. Lets him learn some independence and from his mistakes. It's how I learned. And if it's stable why not let him sleep in it? If he gets scared of the night your shelter is close and he can drag his bag and mattress over to it. Just the thoughts of an old geezer, take 'em with a grain of salt.

#245854 - 05/13/12 04:08 PM Re: Mock Bug-out [Re: bacpacjac]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
You are a truly outstanding Mom! Happy Mother's Day!!! I hope yall have had a great weekend!

#245855 - 05/13/12 08:01 PM Re: Mock Bug-out [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
Hey Jac,how was the trip? Snake free I hope.

We made it! We had a great time. Two parks in two nights and the most minimalist I've gone since before he was born. Pics once I've had time to sift through them.

Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
As for your little one making his own shelter I think it's a good idea. Lets him learn some independence and from his mistakes. It's how I learned. And if it's stable why not let him sleep in it? If he gets scared of the night your shelter is close and he can drag his bag and mattress over to it. Just the thoughts of an old geezer, take 'em with a grain of salt.

I totally agree, Snake. The sleeping in the same shelter request was his, not mine. My rough and tumble son is still kind of scared of the dark. He conked out both nights quite happily with his Teddy and mom beside him.

#245856 - 05/13/12 09:06 PM Re: Mock Bug-out [Re: bacpacjac]
moab Offline

Loc: England
What a great idea, glad you both enjoyed it. Undoubtedly some great learning for your lad - fun too by the sound of things.
ATB
Moab

#245857 - 05/13/12 09:37 PM Re: Mock Bug-out [Re: wildman800]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks Wildman. :-) like most parents, I do my best, learn something every day and hold my breath with one he closed as he does his thing.

Edited by bacpacjac (05/13/12 09:37 PM)

#245858 - 05/13/12 09:42 PM Re: Mock Bug-out [Re: moab]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: moab
What a great idea, glad you both enjoyed it. Undoubtedly some great learning for your lad - fun too by the sound of things.
ATB
Moab

It was fun, Moab. We did a few family things during the trip and logged some serious miles on the jeep so we didn't have as much time for bushcrafting as we wanted. We brought our $20 2-man tent and tarp and used like like a three-sided shelter. It was cool and wet so fire was key and he's a keen learner. By night two we didn't need our blankets until the wind and rain kicked up from behind us. We saw some wildlife, star-gazed and had a few heart to hearts. All and all, a great weekend.

#245897 - 05/15/12 02:58 AM Re: Mock Bug-out [Re: bacpacjac]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
Sounds like a great experiance (except for the hospital bit, I hope Grandma is OK)

Will you be updating your bob because of it ?
Once updated, you'll have to test it again !

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.