The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#245693 - 05/07/12 04:28 PM Re: Victorinox knife [Re: billn]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
I get more use out of the needle nose pliers on MTs than anything else so any MT without a needlenose pliers is a no go for me.

I never understood the love for sawblades on MTs. I don't own any MTs with saw blades and can honestly say I never wished for one.

Bob

#245697 - 05/07/12 05:14 PM Re: Victorinox knife [Re: ILBob]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
While I like my Leatherman, I consider it to be primarily an urban tool. I simply don't find much use for its pliers in the woods.

A saw on the other hand can be useful for things like cutting walking staffs, processing fire wood and shelter building. According to some with experience in the area, SAK saws are helpful when making various traps too.

#245698 - 05/07/12 05:50 PM Re: Victorinox knife [Re: ILBob]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: ILBob
I get more use out of the needle nose pliers on MTs than anything else so any MT without a needlenose pliers is a no go for me.

I never understood the love for sawblades on MTs. I don't own any MTs with saw blades and can honestly say I never wished for one.

I use my MT pliers constantly in urban/suburban environments and pretty regularly while hiking and camping. Sometimes the best way to fix a piece of gear is with pliers.

With regard to the saw, it's been handy lots of times for solving branch and stick issues. I wouldn't want to be without it in the woods.

#245700 - 05/07/12 06:18 PM Re: Victorinox knife [Re: ]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Asking this question is akin to asking, "what's the best pie to eat on Thanksgiving." You're going to get a bunch of different answers based on what other people's wants and needs are. Especially since Victorinox has such a wide selection of very similar tools.

Here's what I would suggest:

1. Stick with the models that have locking blades.
-They're simply safer to use when your motor skills might be compromised from being cold, wet, and/or hungry.

2. Look for a model that has a saw.
-Victorinox saws cut well, despite their diminutive size. They sometimes come in handy for shelter building and other bushcraft.

3. Look at your other gear.
-Find a model that has a tool selection that will work with your other gear. Do you need a long Phillips screwdriver for anything you carry? If so, consider getting a tool with that on there.

4. If the bag is staying in your vehicle most of the time, I would look heavily into their multi-tool models.
-I find their pliers, wire cutters, and slightly longer screwdrivers to be helpful with vehicle repairs.

5. Really take the time to go over the tool selections and pick a model that works for you.
-For example, years ago the consensus was that the Farmer model was "THE" survival Swiss Army knife. So I had to own one. But, then I realized the Camper model was a much better fit for me. It can do the same stuff as the Farmer, but it also has a spare blade, tweezers, and a place for a small glasses screwdriver....all things I use relatively often.

I've since replaced that model with a One-Handed Fireman. Again, similar tool selection to the Camper, just larger with a locking main blade.

#245701 - 05/07/12 06:24 PM Re: Victorinox knife [Re: billn]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
I think that others have given you good advice, what you think you need in the woods. For me, a knife blade is only a backup (a fixed blade and a Spyderco). The saw, scissors, tweezers, toothpick and can opener are the important ones for woods loafing. Something like the Wengers or the Farmer with saw are great. Sometimes I do without the saw (although I often miss it) and carry an executive (my EDC SAK).

When I am working it depends on the equipment I am using. Sometimes a multi tool and sometimes an instrument specific tool kit.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#245703 - 05/07/12 06:44 PM Re: Victorinox knife [Re: chaosmagnet]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Sometimes the best way to fix a piece of gear is with pliers.

That's a good point. Now that I think about it, when I was looking at my tool selection for backpacking and decided to leave the Leatherman at home this was my only real concern.

Ultimately I decided to put a tiny plier-based multi-tool in my small repair kit. It's not much but hopefully it would help in that area.

In a similar vein, since I don't carry a tool with scissors I make sure each of my FAKs have a small pair of scissors in them.

#245706 - 05/07/12 08:32 PM Re: Victorinox knife [Re: Denis]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Denis
Ultimately I decided to put a tiny plier-based multi-tool in my small repair kit. It's not much but hopefully it would help in that area.

My favorite small pliers are on the Leatherman Squirt series. I have a PS4 (includes scissors!) and for their size they're strong, easy to use and versatile.

#245707 - 05/07/12 08:51 PM Re: Victorinox knife [Re: billn]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
A Swiss Tool is very good to have. It's too large for me to EDC but I have one along when camping or in a vehicle. For urban carry EDC my SAK has been retired in favor of a Spyderco Ladybug in ZDP-189.

#245709 - 05/07/12 09:36 PM Re: Victorinox knife [Re: billn]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
A Vic Farmer is what I carry.I just wish it had scissors on it.That being said a Huntsman has what a Farmer carries plus scissors,corkscrew,small blade,toothpick,tweezers and hook.The hook I find useless but still a handy package of tools....

BOATMAN
John

#245711 - 05/07/12 10:53 PM Re: Victorinox knife [Re: billn]
Jolt Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Maine
I'd have to say the One Handed Trekker (non serrated version) since it has a locking blade and a saw; the Huntsman has a good assortment of tools but the blade doesn't lock.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 418 Guests and 50 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.