Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#245648 - 05/05/12 07:35 PM Re: AAA Led Light [Re: haertig]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: haertig
How do you make a battery last a year?

In my own experience, I don't use my EDC lights heavily. To me, lights that are used heavily, such as for dog walking at night or for your job, are something you grab when you're heading out for that purpose. They aren't on me all the time like a little AAA EDC light. Or else these lights are used at higher power and thus drain very quickly.

Haertig, if you drain the battery of something like a Fenix E01 more than once a year, then you're a real keychain light power user! smile

#245649 - 05/05/12 08:49 PM Re: AAA Led Light [Re: billn]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I only use lithium primary batteries and high-quality rechargeables.

The E01 is bullet proof and I have them stashed in kits, but for about the same money the Thrunite Ti has more runtime on low and a heck of a lot more light on high. The E01 also has a nasty purple tint. Until something better comes along at that price point, the Ti is what I suggest to folks.

I keep a Preon ReVO on my keychain, so I don't need a Photon-type light. I buy fauxtons from DX ten at a time and give them away to people.

#245650 - 05/06/12 01:42 AM Re: AAA Led Light [Re: Arney]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Arney
Originally Posted By: billn
Someone recommended the THRUNITE TI 3-60. Any better than the Fenix E01?

The Thrunite uses a higher power type of LED that has a high/low capability. The low will be noticeably dimmer than the E01 and the high is way, way brighter so they aren't really comparable in light output. The low level should outlast the E01 significantly, but at only 3 lumens, I think it's too dim to be generally useful except in very dark situations.

By comparison, a Maglite Solitaire with a fresh battery puts out 2.5-3 lumens. The low range on a Maratac AAA is 1.5 lumens, and that is my preferred setting for finding my way in the dark. Just enough light to see where you're stepping and out to around 10 feet without totally killing your night vision.

In my own experience, multi-level lights are more prone to failure, especially if they ride around in your pocket every day and are exposed to dust, sweat, and getting bumped around a lot but like I said, I don't know firsthand how durable the Thrunite is.

I can't speak to the Thrunite but the Maratac has been on my keyring for 3 years now without problems. I've gone through three AAA lithium primary batteries during this time. Even the keyring attachment clip, which many cite as a potential weakness in the design, shows no sign of wear. Of course I do have a fishing swivel attached to mine so it has more freedom of movement than just attaching with a split ring.

#245651 - 05/06/12 01:48 AM Re: AAA Led Light [Re: haertig]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: haertig
Most people don't proactively replace their flashlight batteries on a schedule (I find yearly works fine with alkalines)

How do you make a battery last a year? I guess I use my lights more than most people. My batteries would be dead as a doornail (from use) long before a year is up. That's why I went to rechargeables. NiMh (Eneloops) for the lights I use occassionally, and LiIon for the heavy hitters (both in frequency of use and brightness requirements). I do keep alkalines as backups for some flashlights, but those are stored separately - outside of the flashlight.

I use my Maratac AAA almost daily, usually on its lowest setting, occasionally on high, and a AAA Lithium primary lasts me a year. But I do also carry a Fenix PD30 2xCR123A flashlight, and use that about as often as the Maratac. So if I used only the Maratac for all chores, battery life would be shorter.

#245656 - 05/06/12 04:28 AM Re: AAA Led Light [Re: billn]
GradyT34 Offline

You may want to check out the Preon P1 (1 AAA). At 2 lumens it lasts for 23 hours. It has an optical-grade glass lens and can light up the night with 70 lumens if need be. You see them a lot in the medical world. RNs use it mostly on low. The smoothness of the threads, color rendition, and its ability to tail stand are among its claims to fame. You can get a click switch ($7.00) for the back if that's what you're used to.

Edited by GradyT34 (05/08/12 03:42 AM)

#245657 - 05/06/12 05:41 AM Re: AAA Led Light [Re: Arney]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Haertig, if you drain the battery of something like a Fenix E01 more than once a year, then you're a real keychain light power user! smile

Good point! I imagine a battery in an E01 would last me a lot longer than in my higher powered EDC light.

#245663 - 05/06/12 02:22 PM Re: AAA Led Light [Re: billn]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
Quote:
of all the cheapies the Fenix E01 is the most-reliable best-buy for long-runtime survival needs. (under 10 lumens)

Actually, the E01 is 10 lumens.

#245666 - 05/06/12 03:11 PM Re: AAA Led Light [Re: Treeseeker]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: north central west TX
Originally Posted By: Treeseeker
Quote:
of all the cheapies the Fenix E01 is the most-reliable best-buy for long-runtime survival needs. (under 10 lumens)

Actually, the E01 is 10 lumens.

while Fenix states that, comparing it to other tested lights, it seems duller to me, so i added the "under".

Quote:
The Thrunite ... only 3 lumens...

there are two Thrunite Ti versions: the original (superlow .04 lumens) and the newer 3 lumen model (that i linked too above).

the superlow .04 lumens is about the same amount of light as partial moonlight. fact is, i prefer this original over the newer model: living in the wilderness without streetlights or city-glow, it more than enough to hike to the outhouse or navigate the house. and it sure protects night vision.

on the other hand, for anyone living in town, its usually nowhere near enough to make a difference from no light at all.

#245667 - 05/06/12 03:42 PM Re: AAA Led Light [Re: wileycoyote]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The 4Sevens Quark 123, R5 Edition has a moonlight output of 0.2 lumens out-the-front which IMO is an ideal low end output. 3 lumen is way brighter than moonlight, OTOH 0.04 lumen is more like starlight -- extremely dim. The Quark 123 is a very good light IMO -- not as small as 1xAAA, but small enough for pocket carry.

#245668 - 05/06/12 04:06 PM Re: AAA Led Light [Re: Russ]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: north central west TX
i guess its all in perceptions. i too agree that .2 lumens is more than adequate for very dark conditions.

i take each of my ultra low lights onto the deck in moonlight and compare them to what light a partial moon offers. if i can just make out the beam at 6 feet, then i think of it as the same brightness. my original Thrunite Ti fits that bill.

on the other hand, all my above-one-lumen lights can very easily over-power moonlight.

my eyes aren't that great, but i have no problem hiking with .04 lumens on a moonless night. on nights like that, 3 lumens is blinding.

again, please keep in mind i'm discussing the use in the wilds, not near any town.

on the other end of the spectrum: in the wilderness i find 60 lumens more than enough for seeing distant things at 50-plus yds, yet when i visit a city that's not enough. there i find i need at least 200 lumens for most chores.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.