Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#245440 - 04/30/12 02:36 PM Woman rescued after 4 days in remote desert.
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

GARFIELD COUNTY – A woman from Maine was found safe in remote Garfield County after spending four days with a broken leg and no food.

59-year-old Victoria Grover of Wade, Maine, was hiking near the Sand Creek area of Garfield County on Tuesday. She’d been planning on going on a short day hike, but didn’t make it back to her car before dark, so she decided to spend the night in the desert.

The next morning, Grover jumped off a 4-foot ledge and broke her leg just above her ankle.

Rest of story:

http://fox13now.com/2012/04/28/woman-rescued-after-4-days-in-remote-garfield-co/
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#245441 - 04/30/12 03:04 PM Re: Woman rescued after 4 days in remote desert. [Re: Doug_Ritter]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Saved by the anti-theft GPS in a rental car? Hadn't thought of that one. But a win is a win. Glad she made it out.

If she hadn't made it to the creek, there could have been a different ending.

As we often see, a few simple items would have made her a lot more comfortable, and improved her odds dramatically.

The other consideration: I think experienced solo hikers tend to be very, very conservative in taking risks. You build a safety margin into your every action. I can't think of a scenario where I would deliberately jump off a ledge.

#245442 - 04/30/12 03:11 PM Re: Woman rescued after 4 days in remote desert. [Re: dougwalkabout]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
The other consideration: I think experienced solo hikers tend to be very, very conservative in taking risks. You build a safety margin into your every action. I can't think of a scenario where I would deliberately jump off a ledge.

Same thing I was thinking. As a soloist I am extremely careful not to risk an impact that would cut my mobility.

#245443 - 04/30/12 03:14 PM Re: Woman rescued after 4 days in remote desert. [Re: dougwalkabout]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
I can't think of a scenario where I would deliberately jump off a ledge.

My reaction also. A four foot jump off a ledge is asking for trouble even when you are not by yourself.

It sounds like she kept her head and made the best of her few resources. I wonder if she had a cell phone with her, and if so, if there was a signal. Even leaving a note with the hotel desk on where she was hiking and when she expected to be back would have helped.

#245454 - 04/30/12 07:19 PM Re: Woman rescued after 4 days in remote desert. [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
At least she had taken a survival course in the same spot, albeit 40 years earlier. Sounds like she got pretty lucky. Since she did have a bit of training it's somewhat puzzling that she wasn't better equipped to handle a possible night out.

#245456 - 04/30/12 07:32 PM Re: Woman rescued after 4 days in remote desert. [Re: Phaedrus]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
Since she did have a bit of training it's somewhat puzzling that she wasn't better equipped to handle a possible night out.

Many people I know seem to think that these things happen to other people, you see.

#245489 - 05/01/12 04:45 PM Re: Woman rescued after 4 days in remote desert. [Re: Phaedrus]
barbarian Offline
Journeyman

Loc: USA
Quote:
At least she had taken a survival course in the same spot, albeit 40 years earlier. Sounds like she got pretty lucky. Since she did have a bit of training it's somewhat puzzling that she wasn't better equipped to handle a possible night out.

Apparently, 40 yrs ago they didn't teach the concept of preparing one's itenerary to help someone find you, either.

Glad she's ok, but had she died, it would have been her own fault.

#245491 - 05/01/12 05:44 PM Re: Woman rescued after 4 days in remote desert. [Re: barbarian]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
I would venture to say that everyone on the forums has made mistakes, many of which could have resulted in injury or death. Hopefully, we can learn from the mistakes of others and not repeat the same. I know I will continue to make mistakes and can only hope they can be minimized.

Pete

#245496 - 05/01/12 06:56 PM Re: Woman rescued after 4 days in remote desert. [Re: chaosmagnet]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Many people I know seem to think that these things happen to other people, you see.

And people that should know better. I am always surprised how many first responders (fire, ems, law enforcement) are among these people. Or scoff at those that are prepared.

#245501 - 05/01/12 07:40 PM Re: Woman rescued after 4 days in remote desert. [Re: paramedicpete]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: paramedicpete
I would venture to say that everyone on the forums has made mistakes, many of which could have resulted in injury or death. Hopefully, we can learn from the mistakes of others and not repeat the same. I know I will continue to make mistakes and can only hope they can be minimized.

Pete

Ditto!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.