Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#245473 - 05/01/12 01:27 AM Re: "Giant, Underestimated Earthquake Threat" (CSZ) [Re: wileycoyote]
Pete Offline
Veteran

well ... if that was me in Coos Bay i would have a plan to get to high ground FAST. You will definitely feel the magnitude 8-9 earthquake before the tsunami hits. the important thing is that your whole family needs to know exactly where they are going, and they must react straight away. now is a really good time to work out those details.

when the Japanese tsunami hit there was a very interesting story about an old woman who fled the tsunami on a bicycle. I know you are thinking this sounds ridiculous - but she actually did it. of course, an old woman cannot ride faster than a tidal wave. BUT what she did - was to get going immediately when she felt the quake. so she had some lead time, and it was just enough to get her to safe ground.

having a plan, and executing it when you really need to, can be a lifesaver :-)
A good lesson for all of us.

Pete2

#245477 - 05/01/12 03:56 AM Re: "Giant, Underestimated Earthquake Threat" (CSZ) [Re: Dagny]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I think these warning stones are an interesting feature of the Japanese landscape - some of them 600 years old, reading:

"High dwellings are the peace and harmony of our descendants," the stone slab reads. "Remember the calamity of the great tsunamis. Do not build any homes below this point."

Hundreds of such markers dot the coastline, some more than 600 years old. Collectively they form a crude warning system for Japan, whose long coasts along major fault lines have made it a repeated target of earthquakes and tsunamis over the centuries.

The markers don't all indicate where it's safe to build. Some simply stand – or stood, until they were washed away by the tsunami – as daily reminders of the risk. "If an earthquake comes, beware of tsunamis," reads one. In the bustle of modern life, many forgot.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/06/japan-tsunami-warnings-fr_n_845818.html

#245488 - 05/01/12 04:23 PM Re: "Giant, Underestimated Earthquake Threat" (CSZ) [Re: Pete]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Pete
when the Japanese tsunami hit there was a very interesting story about an old woman who fled the tsunami on a bicycle. I know you are thinking this sounds ridiculous - but she actually did it.

It probably only sounds ridiculous to us car-centric Yanks. It's quite common for seniors--many very old--to ride bicycles in Japan as their main form of transportation. Maybe not so much in the crowded urban areas (heck, bicycles have all but disappeared from the streets of big cities in China now, too) but certainly in more rural areas like where the tsunami hit.

Actually, having a bicycle handy may make a lot of sense for a quick get away to higher ground depending on one's situation. Takes up relatively little space, don't have to worry about gasoline going bad in storage, roads and bridges may be jammed with traffic, much faster than being on foot, etc.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.