Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Originally Posted By: ireckon
A lawsuit should reveal a better representation of the true facts, which are necessary for learning purposes here.

I wanted to stay out of this thread, however the above comment deserves a comment in return.

Whether there is a lawsuit or not and whatever the outcome may be between the parties, it does not take this lawsuit..or any other for "learning purposes here."

In hundreds of past threads here, it has been discussed in many different forms that if you venture out onto the water, up into the mountains, trek through the desert etc, it is up to you and your group to ensure your own safety and well being. Bottom line, this means that you should never count any one person, group and or organization to come to your rescue in your time of need regardless who may of seen or heard you.

I am in no way, defending the actions or inaction of the ship crew, however had the fishermen in the boat had any amount of basic supplies, radio equipment and signalling gear, this thread would of been a footnote with a successful and probable better outcome instead of dragging on for almost as long now as the boat was adrift...

How do you know they did not have this equipment? Internet news articles? Articles I've read said they did signal, but the articles don't give details on the signalling.

Anyway, for crying out loud, people on board the ship did see people in distress on the boat. The sailors' job of signalling, however it was done, was successful. Under Maritime Law, I believe a distress signal still counts if it's not performed with the latest and greatest technology.

There was a breakdown somewhere in the ship's chain of response. The problem could be at the communication interface between the passengers and the crew. The captain and crew must now give their explanation in court, and we can better determine what happened. Will the court decide that it's OK to have a communication breakdown between passengers and crew? Or is that not even the problem here? We'll see.