The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#245429 - 04/29/12 02:57 PM Re: Signalling a cruise ship? [Re: Brangdon]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Even if they did make a decision to not stop due to some possible terrorism/hijacking/pirate threat, they would still have had a responsibility to communicate the situation with national authorities (US Coast Guard, local Coast Guard, whomever). They didn't do that; they just ignored it.

#245446 - 04/30/12 04:44 PM Re: Signalling a cruise ship? [Re: Russ]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Originally Posted By: Russ
Even if they did make a decision to not stop due to some possible terrorism/hijacking/pirate threat, they would still have had a responsibility to communicate the situation with national authorities (US Coast Guard, local Coast Guard, whomever). They didn't do that; they just ignored it.

That assumes that someone with the ability to contact those authorities was aware of the situation. We just do not know that is the case. IF they did know what was going on, they certainly had such an obligation.

Bob

#245449 - 04/30/12 05:33 PM Re: Signalling a cruise ship? [Re: ILBob]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Someone on the ship's bridge had to see the fishing boat and that information should have been relayed. If not, then the competency of the crews hired by the cruise lines really needs to be evaluated. What are they doing up there if the passengers are seeing things and the bridge crew is not? I may have answered my own question on competency.

#245452 - 04/30/12 06:44 PM Re: Signalling a cruise ship? [Re: Russ]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Yep ... I think you've found the answer to the problem.
They need to replace the ship's First Officer with bird watchers :-)

Pete2

#245642 - 05/05/12 04:27 PM Re: Signalling a cruise ship? [Re: Russ]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
They say they didn't ignore it. They weren't aware of it. Given that they did stop on 30 previous occasions, the notion that they aren't allowed to stop or for some reason decided not to, is ludicrous speculation.

#245694 - 05/07/12 04:36 PM Re: Signalling a cruise ship? [Re: Brangdon]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Originally Posted By: Brangdon
They say they didn't ignore it. They weren't aware of it. Given that they did stop on 30 previous occasions, the notion that they aren't allowed to stop or for some reason decided not to, is ludicrous speculation.

Quote:
Princess Cruises added that it understood its responsibility under the law of the sea to help any vessel in distress, and said its ships had been involved in more than 30 rescues over the past decade.

It may be worth noting that the report does not say they actually "stopped" 30 times in the past decade.

Bob

#245717 - 05/08/12 01:44 AM Re: Signalling a cruise ship? [Re: Russ]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Someone on the ship's bridge had to see the fishing boat and that information should have been relayed. If not, then the competency of the crews hired by the cruise lines really needs to be evaluated. What are they doing up there if the passengers are seeing things and the bridge crew is not? I may have answered my own question on competency.
My guess would be they're taking care of the passengers ...

#245718 - 05/08/12 02:20 AM Re: Signalling a cruise ship? [Re: MDinana]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Quite a few of the crew are there for passenger comfort. The bridge crew is there to drive the ship and not hit things.

#245726 - 05/08/12 03:45 PM Re: Signalling a cruise ship? [Re: Russ]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Quite a few of the crew are there for passenger comfort. The bridge crew is there to drive the ship and not hit things.

Well, they succeeded, right? Didn't hit the people trying to signal. crazy

But, we don't necessarily know the circumstances - perhaps they had some sort of VIP or other issue going on that would distract them. Ideally, you're right - bridge should keep their 'eyes on the road' so to speak. But really, given how much water there is and how boring that horizon has to get, I can't imagine someone has eyes outboard every second of the day.

#245742 - 05/09/12 12:38 AM Re: Signalling a cruise ship? [Re: MDinana]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
On the professionally run vessels I have encountered, that is precisely what happens- usually more than one pair of eyeballs, as a matter of fact. All the same, I can readily imagine there are lots of exceptions.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 181 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.