Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#245251 - 04/24/12 04:28 AM Re: Who has a Leathermans Skeletool CX? [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Well, I don't expect the Skeletool to "replace" a larger full featured MT for everything. It's just that I simply won't ever have the larger on one me for an EDC situation; just can't tolerate the bulk and weight. Realistically the Kick adds nothing of value (to me personally) and substitutes and inferior blade. Naturally that's JMOHO, no knock on the Kick.

I really love the Freestyle CX, and have two. I love that plain edge 154CM blade. It's a really good steel IMOHO. A serrated blade is useless to me and I'll never carry one unless it happens to be one of many features of a tool (eg Gerber Multipliers, Victorinox Spirit, etc).

I'm also a fan of the mighty SAK! But even the most robust SAK tool is pretty lightweight compared to an average multi-tool. I'd be hesitant to torque down too hard with the screwdriver on one. But I EDC a small SAK and would be lost w/o it.

#245252 - 04/24/12 04:40 AM Re: Who has a Leathermans Skeletool CX? [Re: Russ]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Ultimately it comes down to what you are looking for in a tool.

For myself, after reading here and elsewhere, I came to the conclusion that what I wanted for EDC was a sturdy, one-hand opening, locking blade. However, at that point I had recognized the utility a multi-tool brought (I was using a Juice at that point) so what I didn't want was to either A) carry a blade alone, or B) carry a second tool on my belt.

I really wanted a single, flexible tool that could be carried comfortably in my pocket. For me, the Skeletool fits this bill exactly.

Others will obviously have different preferences and priorities so the "best" tool will really differ depending on these variables.

#245253 - 04/24/12 04:55 AM Re: Who has a Leathermans Skeletool CX? [Re: Phaedrus]
Denis Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
I love that plain edge 154CM blade. It's a really good steel IMOHO. A serrated blade is useless to me and I'll never carry one unless it happens to be one of many features of a tool (eg Gerber Multipliers, Victorinox Spirit, etc)

I agree with you on the steel. Actually, I have the older Skeletool CX that came with the serrated blade which I have mixed feelings about; for what it is - a general purpose urban tool - I do appreciate the serrations sometimes. But it definately makes it an urban-only tool for me.

#245254 - 04/24/12 05:08 AM Re: Who has a Leathermans Skeletool CX? [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm a semi-pro sharpener and a steel junkie, so I always gotta have the good stuff! grin

#245256 - 04/24/12 05:57 AM Re: Who has a Leathermans Skeletool CX? [Re: Phaedrus]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Well, I don't expect the Skeletool to "replace" a larger full featured MT for everything. It's just that I simply won't ever have the larger on one me for an EDC situation; just can't tolerate the bulk and weight. Realistically the Kick adds nothing of value (to me personally) and substitutes and inferior blade. Naturally that's JMOHO, no knock on the Kick.

Yea, IMO, the Kick and Freestyle fit two totally different roles.

The Kick is better at being a multitool, but it's terrible at being a knife. It doesn't have a pocket clip unless you purchase separately (which brings the weight up to 5.5 ounces and the price up another $5), the blade is near impossible to safely open one-handed, it's slow to open two handed, it doesn't really lock, and the steel they use (420hc) is a bottom end knife steel.

Since I feel it necessary to carry a good knife, I end up having to carry a second folder or fixed blade with it anyway. (Or, I'll just carry my Charge Ti instead, which is pretty good at being both a knife and a multitool.)

The Freestyle, on the other hand, looses some functionality as a multitool, but makes for a much better knife. It easily opens and closes one handed, it has a liner-lock, it has bronze bushings, it's offered with 154cm blade steel, etc. I'll often carry that one by itself, instead of my EDC Benchmade folder.

The Skeletool is kinda the next step up from the Freestyle, as far as being a pretty good knife, but with some additional multitool capability. I have one of them too, but like I said, I didn't find it to be comfortable to use. Nor did I think it really added much over the Freestyle for me personally. I mean, I don't need the carabiner since I carry it clipped to my pocket, I don't really need the bit driver since I've got a little screwdriver in the Swisscard in my wallet, and I don't need a bottle opener since I can open bottles with the Freestyle just fine (also know how to open them with a normal ring, or a lighter, or my watch, or pretty much anything else we could find within arms reach in our college apartments). wink

#245258 - 04/24/12 06:14 AM Re: Who has a Leathermans Skeletool CX? [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

While most would hate to ditch the blade, I could imagine a really good multi-tool if you were to replace the blade with a couple of drivers. Any time I'd be carrying the MT I'd also be carrying a knife. Of course a MT could probably be carried in places where a knife would be frowned on or even against the law.

I'll have to see if I can find the Skeletool CX locally and see how it feels in the hand.

#245266 - 04/24/12 06:44 AM Re: Who has a Leathermans Skeletool CX? [Re: Phaedrus]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
While most would hate to ditch the blade, I could imagine a really good multi-tool if you were to replace the blade with a couple of drivers. Any time I'd be carrying the MT I'd also be carrying a knife. Of course a MT could probably be carried in places where a knife would be frowned on or even against the law.

Leatherman made a knifeless Fuse, where they replaced the normal Fuse's knife blade with a wood/metal file. I thought that was kind of clever. While you lost the knife, you gained a file that could be used to sharpen something else into a knife if the need arose. Unfortunately, they dropped that one from the lineup when they dropped the regular Fuse.

Now they make the Style PS, which is a little knifeless keychain tool. It has small pliers, scissors, a combination screwdriver/nail file, tweezers, and a bottle opener/mini-carabiner.

I kind of want to get one just for traveling. I don't like the file on it though. I wish they would have given it a small wood/metal file (like on the Squirt) rather than copy Victorinox's dedicated fingernail file (which I always found to be borderline useless). frown

#245270 - 04/24/12 08:12 AM Re: Who has a Leathermans Skeletool CX? [Re: Phaedrus]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I have a Skeletool CX in my (rather comprehensive) Leatherman collection, the first version with the half-serrated blade. I find that I don't carry it. Overall, I guess I am disappointed; I had hoped for more.

As a piece of functional art, it is beautiful. I mean that sincerely: it is a genuinely cool piece of design and engineering.

As a tool for executing field tasks, though, it is somewhat useful but with some very real limits. As others have noted, you can get a lot more functionality in the same general range of weight and price.

So here's my 2 cents' worth FWIW:

Blade: A decently stout blade, and a good liner-lock. But the handle, while really cool to look at, is very uncomfortable in hard use. If you have gloves, no problem; and you can wrap the handle with any cloth, a sock or a sleeve, and get by just fine. But otherwise, in hard use, it will tattoo your hide.

Pliers: Strong, but small. Don't plan to tighten the connections on a garden hose with these; they don't open wide enough. And, worse, they will absolutely pinch the flesh of your index finger if you aren't very, very careful. But: if you are careful, they can do a great deal more real work than the other junk pliers in this size category.

Clip: Not all that strong. I wouldn't trust it in a front pocket. Though it's okay when clipped to your waistband, with a belt holding it tight against your jeans. It does stick out, and is rather less discreet than a Wave with clip.

Screwdrivers: Two sizes of Phillips and two sizes of slots/flats, one in the holder and one tucked into the handle. Quality drivers, but none provides the beefy prybar that protects the blade from abuse. Anything but the #2 Phillips digs into the hand unmercifully when using the pliers.

Here's the bottom line, I guess: I will probably put mine up for sale, hoping to recover some of my dollars (I paid about full price -- ouch).

On the other hand, if I was in a pickle and this tool was handed to me, I would be glad to have it.

#245280 - 04/24/12 04:17 PM Re: Who has a Leathermans Skeletool CX? [Re: Phaedrus]
Denis Offline
Addict

As mentioned earlier (and as you plan to do) I guess it pays to get it in your hand and see how it feels to you. I have no complaints with the Skeletool's ergonomics and find it quite comfortable to use. Others obviously have had different results with the tool.

#245291 - 04/24/12 09:30 PM Re: Who has a Leathermans Skeletool CX? [Re: Phaedrus]
RNewcomb Offline

Loc: Iowa
I have the leatherman SideKick Multitool.

It's has a locking blade and Phillips and Straight blade drivers built in. It also has a file, letter-opener (can opener), and a great plier grip with wire stripper.

I carry it with me everywhere, but it's definately heavier than the skeletool.

The blade on mine is wicked sharp.. and I've managed to draw blood on myself more than once when I wasn't being very careful with it.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.