Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#245112 - 04/20/12 06:04 AM Signalling a cruise ship?
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
If you're in trouble at sea, signalling a cruise ship doesn't necessarily mean they'll stop to help.

Dying men on a disabled fishing boat were left drifting, despite the close passage of a huge cruise ship that didn’t stop even after its crew was alerted by anxious passengers who saw frantic signalling from the tiny craft, according to the survivor and those who spotted him.

For Adrian Vasquez, sole survivor of the drifting boat, the joy over near-certain rescue as the Star Princess sailed closer and closer turned to despair as it sailed on past.

He said one of his fellow fishermen died hours after the ship passed and the other five days later. He was eventually rescued by Ecuadorians near the Galapagos Islands on March 28 after a month adrift and two weeks after seeing the Star Princess.

www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/world...article2407401/

The article suggests a breakdown in communication to the bridge officers, or a misunderstanding of the intent of the message. It's pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if piracy/security concerns are also part of the mix in a situation like this?

If nothing else, this underlines the value of having some sort of reference material at hand -- allowing you to send/display a formal, internationally recognized distress message.

Edited by dougwalkabout (04/20/12 06:09 AM)

#245117 - 04/20/12 09:30 AM Re: Signalling a cruise ship? [Re: dougwalkabout]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Isn't this a gross violation of international marine law/custom?

#245121 - 04/20/12 12:53 PM Re: Signalling a cruise ship? [Re: hikermor]
williamlatham Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Stafford, VA, USA
Yes

#245134 - 04/20/12 05:18 PM Re: Signalling a cruise ship? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
If nothing else, this underlines the value of having some sort of reference material at hand -- allowing you to send/display a formal, internationally recognized distress message.
Yipes. I don't disagree, but I wonder if it would have mattered with this crew. That's cold blooded.

From the article:
Quote:
Maritime law – and tradition – imposes a duty on all captains to “to assist persons in distress at sea.”

HJ

#245138 - 04/20/12 05:45 PM Re: Signalling a cruise ship? [Re: dougwalkabout]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
The captain should have at least called in for a smaller, more capable boat and/or helicopter. This case makes me wonder how a captain of this cruise line would treat a "man overboard". The rest of what I have to say is probably a minority opinion...

It's seems entirely impractical and uber-dangerous for a huge cruise ship to stop every time it appears a small vessel may need a rescue in the open seas. It seems to me that a large cruise ship would be stopping maybe 3 times every cruise. By the way, I have to wonder how many of these cases happen where a cruise ship keeps going. This case just happens to have a survivor who can report what happened.

The point about the pirates is valid. There are some really evil monsters out there that only happen to have DNA similar to human beings. The captain is entirely responsible if the people in the small vessel board the ship, turn out to be pirates, and kill some passengers. The alternative is for the captain just keep going, as he did here, and have some people say he's a really bad person.

By the way, pirates could easily learn the international distress signal. So, that'a a non-starter.

#245143 - 04/20/12 07:05 PM Re: Signalling a cruise ship? [Re: dougwalkabout]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
According to the article, neither the captain nor the officer of the watch were notified. That's abysmal.

#245147 - 04/20/12 10:08 PM Re: Signalling a cruise ship? [Re: chaosmagnet]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
According to the article, neither the captain nor the officer of the watch were notified...

That's rather convenient. I'm skeptical.

#245152 - 04/21/12 12:50 AM Re: Signalling a cruise ship? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Does sound like a breakdown in communication.
I wonder if crew can be held responsible for not informing the captain properly??

Seems to point to the necessity of having something really tangible - like distress flares or smoke to signal emergencies.
After reading this, I am not convinced that a signal mirror would have changed the outcome of events.

Pete2

#245154 - 04/21/12 01:13 AM Re: Signalling a cruise ship? [Re: Pete]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
A PLB or in the case of a ship an EPIRB would be an obvious thing to mention about now.

#245155 - 04/21/12 01:26 AM Re: Signalling a cruise ship? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Pete Offline
Veteran

For those of us in a first-world country - a PLB or some type of satellite distress device would be an excellent choice. I'm not sure that the fishermen (Ecuadorian or Panamanian?) had the opportunity to buy such a device.

I went back and read the actual article from the Globe and Mail.

It leaves a convincing feeling in your head that the crews of some of these cruise ships don't have much mastery of seamanship or emergency drills.
OR alternatively ... that the crew and the captain knew exactly what they were doing. And they pretended to have bad communications. But really the cruise line had given secret instructions to avoid picking members of stranded vessels - perhaps to avoid legal liability or risks from piracy ???

Pete2

Edited by Pete (04/21/12 02:33 AM)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.