Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#2442 - 11/02/01 11:52 AM First aid kit rather than survival kit
Stefan Offline

Loc: Sweden, South
When I was in Malaysia this summer, spending two weeks in the jungle, our "expedition doctor" asked something that made me jump. He asked me how often I have had to use my first aid kit and how often I had to use my survival kit.<br>Note that we were a bunch of members of the swedish survival guild so we all carried some kind of survival kit.<br>This made me think. Should I redesign my survival kit with first aid stuff into a first aid kit with survival stuff.<br>I find the idea quite appealing. I think youre better of with a first aid kit in any situation. Hiking, climbing, driving or whatever one does. And wouldnt it be so that youŽd have an easier time convincing others to carry it to (wifes, friends, etc). Also, they would ask for it to be brought along!<br>Question is what could be used for both first aid and survival? Any ideas and suggestions?<br>I have an idea of a small fannypack (waistpack) that can be carried with a backpack, much like the Lofty Wiseman-belt pouch. Items would have to be usable for both first aid and survival. For example: lighter to heat a paperclip for blue-nails AND starting fires, safetypins for fishhooks and fractures, spare high energy foods for hypothermia etc.<br>What do you guys think?<br><br>Stefan

#2443 - 11/02/01 02:15 PM Re: First aid kit rather than survival kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

So you're thinking an expedition-size first aid kit with a large PSK-type package and a few other goodies added? <br><br>

#2444 - 11/02/01 03:21 PM Re: First aid kit rather than survival kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

Your question is essentially about the labels one should attach to items that often come in handy just about everywhere. <br><br>When I am outdoors, I always carry first aid supplies and a "survival kit," that is basically the classical ten (now actually up to about fourteen) essentials. Since the items within my survival kit, like the compass and headlamp, are the items I regularly use, the answer to the expedition doctor's query would be - "I use the items in my survival kit a lot" As a matter of convenience, visibility, and access, I pack the first aid kit in a separate container. The contents of the two kits, each about the size of a fist, are augmented with additional material depending upon circumstances. My main first aid kit, BTW, I keep in the car. I figure I am most likely to need it when travelling, and it is readily available around the house if I need it there. Used it this way two weeks ago when a worker fell off my neighbor's roof.

#2445 - 11/02/01 04:12 PM Re: First aid kit rather than survival kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think there should be a grey area where both kits cross over.<br><br>My survival kits contain bandaids, ointments, and basic meds. And (depending on size) tape, and dressings (bandana?).<br><br>My first aid kit has a space blanket (for hypothermia), safety pins, a pen light, and a small razor blade. I could probably throw in some matches too!

#2446 - 11/02/01 04:20 PM Re: First aid kit rather than survival kit
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

the Doctor's emphasis on first aid is understandable. He's a doctor! If you start "camp robbing" item A to supplement item B, when you need to use A for it's dedicated purpose it's depleted. I carry a seperate first aid kit. My pocket tin has a duplicate; one for survival and one for first aid and so on up to the house supplies. I don't like the idea of rummaging through matches and snare wire to get at sting ointment. My pocket kit is peened with a cross painted red. No mistaking boxes in a hurry or the dark.

#2447 - 11/02/01 04:56 PM Re: First aid kit rather than survival kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think they serve different purposes. A survival kit is to help you survive at the very barest level. A few tools to make it easier or possible. A mini kit or pocket sized kit will probably never be put to full use in your lifetime. There may be components of it like the knife and water purification you might use but the bulk of it is too primative to be used when you have your "normal" supplies available.<br><br>First Aid Kits have to treat two major types of injuries, trauma and medical. Trauma solutions basically involve having clean and preferably sterile bandaging to stem blood flow and secure splinting material. Lots of 4x4 guaze pads, bandaids, roller guaze, ACE bandage. Maybe a 5x9 major trauma pad for gut wounds. Nothing expires but tends to be bulky.<br><br>On the other hand you have Medical. Meds which have to be protected from crushing, expire periodically, only treat a specific symptom so many different types are required, dosage varies on age and size of subject, and often the best drugs require a doctors prescription to buy. Dispensing by non-doctors to "patients" opens a whole can of worms. Over the couter meds are often good for short term solutions until patients can be tranported to a more definitive care facility. <br><br>Of course there is the whole natural herbal treatment and holistic treatments. Again you would have to store a large variety of herbs and plants if they could not be found along your travels.<br><br>As you extend your treatements you will add additional equipment like airways, IV setups, sutures, etc. We have not even discussed Universal Precaution equipment against blood borne pathogens.<br><br>First aid is a very worthwhile subject. Small kits tend to have bandaids and a guaze pad. Good for minor cuts and scrapes but not much help for medical or major injuries.<br><br>I always add moleskin for treatment of blisters, and large bandaids since the small ones never seem to cover the injuries I get.

#2448 - 11/02/01 06:18 PM Re: First aid kit rather than survival kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have done something similar with an adventure medical kit. Once I stripped out the redundant suplies I found that there was enough room to put the first aid supplies in one compartment and survival equipment in the other. The compartments are transparent and seperate so it prevents the digging for what you need ( which sucks) that Chris Mentioned.

#2449 - 11/02/01 06:41 PM Re: First aid kit rather than survival kit
tfisher Offline

Loc: Illinois, USA
I carry 2 kits, one a first aid kit, the other a survival kit. I do put a few matches and water treatment tablets in the first aid kit so there is minimal redundancy between the two kits.<br><br>Ted Fisher

#2450 - 11/06/01 02:45 AM Re: First aid kit rather than survival kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

I like your idea very much. Adventure medical kits makes a line of fanny back first kits http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/products/kits/pro/pro.htm Viewing the kit contents will help you but your own together. These kits are very simliar to what I carried as a Ski Patroller.

#2451 - 11/08/01 04:23 AM Re: First aid kit rather than survival kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

I like the idea of using the soft pouch. Have you had any problems with crushing?

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 405 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.