Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#245063 - 04/19/12 02:53 PM Re: Rattle Snakes? [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: hikermor
In every rattlesnake encounter I have ever experienced, the snake went off in one direction, and I went in the other. The only exceptions were situations where the snake was cornered, and had no options; even then, they never "attacked."

I agree. One often only remembers the "bad events" when encountering a deadly snake I am afraid. But when you look back at how many you have really run into (Deadly or non-deadly) you often hear a rustle, a glimpse of a tail fleeing into the brush and it's over. Like most animals that never, or rarely see a person they freak out and leave.

Phew! That's better. wink

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#245066 - 04/19/12 03:58 PM Re: Rattle Snakes? [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I have seen rattlesnakes become incredibly aggressive. I've only seen it in the desert on very hot days; the local wisdom is that when they get too hot they go crazy. I have seen a rattlesnake viciously pursuing and attacking an innocent pickup truck. Whether that's the reason I don't know, but I've never heard of something like that happening in more temperate regions.

You're too big to eat, so if you don't startle them they'll almost always choose to leave.

#245069 - 04/19/12 05:17 PM Re: Rattle Snakes? [Re: ]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Right. In grade school we called it "cold blooded" but that's why they need to seek shade when it's hot and the sun is high. Too much heat bakes the noodle.

#245073 - 04/19/12 06:28 PM Re: Rattle Snakes? [Re: chaosmagnet]
Unca_Walt Offline

Loc: Floriduh
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
I have seen rattlesnakes become incredibly aggressive. I've only seen it in the desert on very hot days; the local wisdom is that when they get too hot they go crazy. I have seen a rattlesnake viciously pursuing and attacking an innocent pickup truck. Whether that's the reason I don't know, but I've never heard of something like that happening in more temperate regions.

You're too big to eat, so if you don't startle them they'll almost always choose to leave.

In Floriduh (home of the largest rattlers in the world) I was struck by an aggressive rattler. He was just about to shed his skin, and his eyes were cloudy. Never made a sound. I have since learned this is when they are most vulnerable and therefore aggressive.

Dunno if a pic will post, but my wife photographed my punctured jeans with the venom stain. Snake weighed 22 pounds. Oh. And he got the jeans, not me!

#245074 - 04/19/12 06:35 PM Re: Rattle Snakes? [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks for sharing that, Unca_Walt. I'm glad he didn't get you!

#245078 - 04/19/12 07:37 PM Re: Rattle Snakes? [Re: chaosmagnet]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Thanks for sharing that, Unca_Walt. I'm glad he didn't get you!

Ditto!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#245087 - 04/19/12 08:49 PM Re: Rattle Snakes? [Re: wileycoyote]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: wileycoyote
leave them alone, just walk around them.

all of the other posts have excellent information.

especially when it comes to inquisitive children, this nails it.

you are in their home, they don't want you - you're too big, leave them alone, and go around them if at all possible.

a poster above said to watch for 'cow pies'. could be a coiled snake. typically seen this way.

and i have also seen them stretched straight out from the roadside like a stick.

keep your eyes open. and have the kids leave them alone.

#245094 - 04/20/12 02:42 AM Re: Rattle Snakes? [Re: bsmith]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

That was my post about cow pies. Yes they stretch out also, but I have never seen on stretched straight. One night I was walking along the dirt road which runs past the ranch and saw a dark line on across it. I had an uncomfortable fifteen minutes until discovered that it was the electrical cord from an appliance.

#245095 - 04/20/12 02:48 AM Re: Rattle Snakes? [Re: hikermor]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Oh c'mon Hiker. If it's close enough to be a danger you won't be able to hunt for rocks. Thats when a load of #6 shot comes in handy. And Not many people carry shovels when they hike. If I can avoid them or let the live I do so.

#245096 - 04/20/12 02:52 AM Re: Rattle Snakes? [Re: Slatu]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Shudders. I hate spiders. Been bitten many times. I do however let a few daddy long legs share my abode.

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 281 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.