Topic Options
#245083 - 04/19/12 08:08 PM Re: Smart phone EDC [Re: AKSAR]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: AKSAR
Originally Posted By: Eugene
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
They'll get tougher, that's for sure.

And blackberry, and nokia, etc. Everyone seems to assume all phones are as fragile as the iphone just because of its fad popularity.
Yes some of them are getting tougher. And at least one brand (I forget which) has an alegedly waterproof model. However, the general run of smartphones, the models that most people carry, IMHO are not as stout as a dedicated GPS.

Don't misunderstand me. I often carry my iphone (in a waterproof cover) when I go hiking. It serves as a back up to my Garmin, and I'm occaisionally surprised at where I can get cell service out in the woods. Note that I also carry a plain old fashioned compass and a map (in a plastic bag), which works even if the Garmin dies.

By analogy, I have a Leatherman, and it can be really handy in a pinch when I need pliers or a screwdriver. However, if I'm planning to do some serious mechanical work, I generally prefer to get my toolbox. By the same token, if I really need to worry about navigation, I prefer to use a tool optimized for navigation.

I was referring to the assumption that because the iphone is fragile all smartphones are fragile. Unfortunately many people make that assumption.

#245086 - 04/19/12 08:47 PM Re: Smart phone EDC [Re: TeacherRO]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Just put a new ride on mine Sunday

#245090 - 04/19/12 11:38 PM Re: Smart phone EDC [Re: TeacherRO]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

My baseline is map, compass, and a ForeTrex 401. But it is nice to know that for the weight it costs me, my Android phone offers a pretty good backup GPS and compass. Before a trip, I do take the time to load a copy of the same waypoints as my 401 into my phone. Most of the simpler smartphone GPS apps can 'goto' a waypoint. All I really need is a UTM grid coordinate anyway.

I am getting ready to upgrade from a Droid 2 to a Droid Razr MAXX, which gives a phenomenal amount of runtime for about the same overall weight. Not that I would run it continually anyway, but still. And it is one of the newer designs with the gorilla glass, kevlar backplate, and stainless steel frame. Not bad since I feel it's important to tote a cellphone anyway.

#245125 - 04/20/12 02:54 PM Re: Smart phone EDC [Re: TeacherRO]
GoatMan Offline

It's funny to hear smart phone vs. GPS debates. It is like the fast & light vs. the heavier & prepared debate. There are pros and cons to both.

The fast & light crowd would only take the smart phone. The more prepared ones making sure all of the right maps are available ahead of time. The unprepared ones hoping they will have data access, let alone phone coverage, wherever they are going. All of whom burn their battery to support their navigation and hope they will have enough left for possible emergency communications. The prepared may carry charging devices, solar panels, or even a PLB. But now you're carrying enough stuff to carry a proper GPS to begin with. Advantages of a smart phone GPS do include a color display, updated maps, potential data access, and less equipment to carry. But if we updated our GPS units like our smart phones, they would be just as colorful and updated. They'd also be waterproof, nearly drop proof, easy to read under any light condition, have all the TOPO and city details already loaded on them so they're always ready to go.

My rule of thumb, if you are going somewhere where you plan on relying on a GPS, take a real GPS with you! A smart phone is convenient for times you don't plan on using one, but anytime you plan on using one, take a real one. Finally, when it gets down to it, as an embedded software engineer, I NEVER depend on electronics. Always have a compass, environmental based navigational skills and at least a basic map with you when you head for the backcountry.

#245144 - 04/20/12 07:10 PM Re: Smart phone EDC [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
There is one thing I would caution everyone to do who uses any GPS (be it standalone or smartphone) as a backup. Mark a waypoint at your campsite, where you parked, the trailhead, or any other place that you might want to be able to find again. You should then feel free to shut it off before you go out into the boonies with your map and compass.

#248653 - 07/17/12 03:59 PM Re: Smart phone EDC [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
I am getting ready to upgrade from a Droid 2 to a Droid Razr MAXX, which gives a phenomenal amount of runtime for about the same overall weight. Not that I would run it continually anyway, but still. And it is one of the newer designs with the gorilla glass, kevlar backplate, and stainless steel frame. Not bad since I feel it's important to tote a cellphone anyway.

Update: got the Razr MAXX and it is an excellent tool. I tested the battery life by charging it to 100% then using the phone normally until I got down to 15%. No short charges along the way either.

I got 3 days, 3 hours, 9 minutes. Continuous.

On the trail I'm using this waterproof case/bag to protect the phone from moisture. So far so good, though I think I should put a small dessicant packet in there for condensation. A hardshell case would provide better mechanical protection but I'm reluctant to put up with the weight and bulk.

#248909 - 07/23/12 08:00 AM Re: Smart phone EDC [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
MedicineMan Offline

Loc: upper east TN
Please tell which size OR waterproof bag you purchases for your Razzr Max. Thanks.

#248921 - 07/23/12 03:12 PM Re: Smart phone EDC [Re: MedicineMan]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: MedicineMan
Please tell which size OR waterproof bag you purchases for your Razzr Max. Thanks.

Click the link above and you'll see that there is only 1 size of that product. It fits the Razr Maxx well but I had to remove the aftermarket snap-on cover I use on the phone.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 149 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
57 minutes 44 seconds ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.