Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#245055 - 04/19/12 11:41 AM Re: Smart phone EDC [Re: LesSnyder]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
have an old Motorola Razr with mini USB charge port, no apps but for charging... my Goal Zero 7w panel to charge my Guide 10 battery pack (4 Sanyo AA Eneloops) which has a charge cord from USB to miniUSB... the Guide 10 pack is stand alone for approx 2 charges.. 12vdc tubular charger in car... back up is my Garmin GPS which also uses mini USB via 12v tubular

I'm sorry for being dense, but what is a tubular charger? I'm thinking it is a term for a cigarette lighter I'm not familiar with. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cigarette_lighter_receptacle

Thanks!

#245056 - 04/19/12 12:34 PM Re: Smart phone EDC [Re: AKSAR]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: AKSAR
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
..... Only problem with Smartphone GPS units is they're pretty power hungry. So I still rely primarily on an actual GPS unit.
Another problem with smartphone GPS aps is that the smartphone hardware tends to be awfully fragile, compared to a real GPS.

Not true. Most decent smartphones now are using gorella glass, kevlar coverings, etc, much sturdier than the plastic of my Garmin. The "free" and low end smartphones maybe fragile but thats just like any other product, you can't lump them all with the bottem end.

#245060 - 04/19/12 01:19 PM Re: Smart phone EDC [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
roberttheiii...you are correct...I didn't read what I was typing...the Goal Zero 7w panel comes with a 12v female tubular (cigarette) recepticle in addition to a 12v pin and USB slot to provide power out...my car is an 03 and has only 2 cigarette recepticle in the dash... I have a splitter to run both the Garmin and CB and was thinking about that rather than the male cigarette plugs on the charger and Garmin...

I have adapters with female tubular 12v to battery clamp to run my ventilation fans (with adapter cord to 12v pin), but that is another topic

Edited by LesSnyder (04/19/12 06:43 PM)

#245065 - 04/19/12 03:47 PM Re: Smart phone EDC [Re: ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
...Apple just announced a partnership with a company which makes "electromagnetic castings from liquid metal." In a nutshell they have this new plastic that when exposed to a EMF field it adheres and then turns to solid metal around a cast. Supposedly light as titanium and stronger than steel per-size. ...
Looking forward to that. Hopefully it will come with a battery that has a bit more juice that the iPhone 4S -- not impressed with battery life.

#245068 - 04/19/12 04:35 PM Re: Smart phone EDC [Re: ]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Eugene
Not true. Most decent smartphones now are using gorella glass, kevlar coverings, etc, much sturdier than the plastic of my Garmin. The "free" and low end smartphones maybe fragile but thats just like any other product, you can't lump them all with the bottem end.

One of the newer Droids, I presume. True, true. They're getting tougher and thinner. Apple just announced a partnership with a company which makes "electromagnetic castings from liquid metal." In a nutshell they have this new plastic that when exposed to a EMF field it adheres and then turns to solid metal around a cast. Supposedly light as titanium and stronger than steel per-size.

They'll get tougher, that's for sure.

And blackberry, and nokia, etc. Everyone seems to assume all phones are as fragile as the iphone just because of its fad popularity.

#245071 - 04/19/12 06:02 PM Re: Smart phone EDC [Re: Eugene]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Eugene
They'll get tougher, that's for sure.

And blackberry, and nokia, etc. Everyone seems to assume all phones are as fragile as the iphone just because of its fad popularity.
Yes some of them are getting tougher. And at least one brand (I forget which) has an alegedly waterproof model. However, the general run of smartphones, the models that most people carry, IMHO are not as stout as a dedicated GPS.

Don't misunderstand me. I often carry my iphone (in a waterproof cover) when I go hiking. It serves as a back up to my Garmin, and I'm occaisionally surprised at where I can get cell service out in the woods. Note that I also carry a plain old fashioned compass and a map (in a plastic bag), which works even if the Garmin dies.

By analogy, I have a Leatherman, and it can be really handy in a pinch when I need pliers or a screwdriver. However, if I'm planning to do some serious mechanical work, I generally prefer to get my toolbox. By the same token, if I really need to worry about navigation, I prefer to use a tool optimized for navigation.

#245072 - 04/19/12 06:14 PM Re: Smart phone EDC [Re: AKSAR]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
As far as GPS, what's on my Android smartphone blows away my standalone "Garmin V" (yes, it's old) and also my Magellan model-something-or-other from the same era as the Garmin V.

#245075 - 04/19/12 06:38 PM Re: Smart phone EDC [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I don't own a recent standalone GPS, I'm sure they've improved a lot since I last bought one. I do get great battery life, resolution and features with my iPhone using iTopoMaps. Just make sure to download the quads you need before you go out of cellular data or wifi range. I don't use it for primary navigation, but it does make an excellent backup.

#245076 - 04/19/12 06:58 PM Re: Smart phone EDC [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
a friend that works as a contractor for SOCOM in technology and weapons development, recently got a Casio G'zOne Commando (Verizon/Android)... looks like it is "GI proof" ... might check it out if you are looking for an upgrade

#245081 - 04/19/12 07:53 PM Re: Smart phone EDC [Re: LesSnyder]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
a friend that works as a contractor for SOCOM in technology and weapons development, recently got a Casio G'zOne Commando (Verizon/Android)... looks like it is "GI proof" ... might check it out if you are looking for an upgrade

My experience with technology is that "GI proof" means it's only "Firefighter resistant."

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 178 Guests and 48 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Silver
by brandtb
28 minutes 12 seconds ago
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.