The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#245002 - 04/18/12 04:39 PM Re: Rattle Snakes? [Re: bacpacjac]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
most everyone has covered the basics... down here we have Gopher Tortoise that dig underground burrows, and the Diamondbacks like to dwell there too.. don't know if you have anything like that up there, but keep the kids from exploring holes just in case...we have a very aggressive snake in the Cottonmouth Moccasin that is a much greater threat... they have a downright nasty temper...

#245003 - 04/18/12 04:49 PM Re: Rattle Snakes? [Re: wileycoyote]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: wileycoyote
i live and work in rattler country. some as long as 5 feet (they grow them even bigger in places like texas). 25 years of seeing them often and i've never run into a problem. (fyi - we don't wear special gear of any sort)

suggestions:

watch where you step.

step up onto logs, then step over in big steps (don't just step directly over the log as they may be under it and within striking distance of a leg if frightened).

don't reach under ledges/logs/rocks/decks/etc without first checking the area.

don't climb steep hills hand-over-hand, as its easy to find yourself eye-to-eye with one.

don't expect all rattlers to rattle. they often don't or can't.

leave them alone, just walk around them.

but if you do have to kill one, don't handle it after wards. very dead ones, or even fully cut-off heads, can & do bite.

Great advice Wiley. Thanks!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#245004 - 04/18/12 04:50 PM Re: Rattle Snakes? [Re: LesSnyder]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
... don't know if you have anything like that up there, but keep the kids from exploring holes just in case...

Great advice! Thanks Les!

#245005 - 04/18/12 06:06 PM Re: Rattle Snakes? [Re: bacpacjac]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Nomad & Wiley really nailed it. I am in the desert of trail, on trail quite often. I mostly see rattlesnakes soaking up sun on car trails in direct heat or on rocks.

The only other advice I'd give aside from reading each of their points 3 times so it soaks in, is stay on the path or trail, don't cut it just to shave a few extra feet of walking.

And I suppose regarding a hiking staff or poles, they don't need to be special. Its the thumping that will get them moving. A straight branch you picked up on the ground, a set of $10 Walmart hiking sticks, or a $120 set of Leki's will all sound the same to a snake.

And I suppose a FINAL note. Don't let the fear of snakes interrupt what should be a fun time. I have been with people who have fixated on the mere idea that snakes could be in the area once out of a car and it ruins the whole trip.

#245006 - 04/18/12 06:07 PM Re: Rattle Snakes? [Re: bacpacjac]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Careful, Jac. I saw Rango, and rattle snakes can shoot bullets from their tail like a machine gun! But don't be taken in by the desert tortoise. It's tons worse than the rattle snake!

#245007 - 04/18/12 06:08 PM Re: Rattle Snakes? [Re: Bingley]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Bingley
Careful, Jac. I saw Rango, and rattle snakes can shoot bullets from their tail like a machine gun! But don't be taken in by the desert tortoise. It's tons worse than the rattle snake!

hahaha!! You know, that snake was the first thing my son thought of when I told him we're going on this trip.

#245009 - 04/18/12 06:22 PM Re: Rattle Snakes? [Re: bacpacjac]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I've run into many snakes - all of the North American poisonous ones - in my life. When I was living in Texas. On only one occasion did I ever think a snake was aggressive. That was a water moccasin (a.k.a. "cottonmouth"). He did not "attack" or anything like that, but he stood his ground and wouldn't move out of the way. I've run into many water moccasins and it was only this particular one who appeared belligerent. Most will hightail it towards the water. Don't confuse them running for the water with an attack if you happen to be standing between them and the water. They'll just fly right past you. Every other snake I've run into, including many many rattlers, were more than happy to run away when given the opening to do so.

Walk down the middle of the trail. Not to the sides.

#245010 - 04/18/12 06:30 PM Re: Rattle Snakes? [Re: comms]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: comms
Nomad & Wiley really nailed it. I am in the desert of trail, on trail quite often. I mostly see rattlesnakes soaking up sun on car trails in direct heat or on rocks.

The only other advice I'd give aside from reading each of their points 3 times so it soaks in, is stay on the path or trail, don't cut it just to shave a few extra feet of walking.

And I suppose regarding a hiking staff or poles, they don't need to be special. Its the thumping that will get them moving. A straight branch you picked up on the ground, a set of $10 Walmart hiking sticks, or a $120 set of Leki's will all sound the same to a snake.

And I suppose a FINAL note. Don't let the fear of snakes interrupt what should be a fun time. I have been with people who have fixated on the mere idea that snakes could be in the area once out of a car and it ruins the whole trip.

Thanks comms! I totally agree with what you say, especially the last point. I'm a firm believer that knowledge is power and that it something scares you the best thing to do is to learn about it!

#245011 - 04/18/12 06:31 PM Re: Rattle Snakes? [Re: haertig]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: haertig
I've run into many snakes - all of the North American poisonous ones - in my life. When I was living in Texas. On only one occasion did I ever think a snake was aggressive. That was a water moccasin (a.k.a. "cottonmouth"). He did not "attack" or anything like that, but he stood his ground and wouldn't move out of the way. I've run into many water moccasins and it was only this particular one who appeared belligerent. Most will hightail it towards the water. Don't confuse them running for the water with an attack if you happen to be standing between them and the water. They'll just fly right past you. Every other snake I've run into, including many many rattlers, were more than happy to run away when given the opening to do so.

Walk down the middle of the trail. Not to the sides.

Thanks haertig!

#245014 - 04/18/12 07:52 PM Re: Rattle Snakes? [Re: bacpacjac]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
I am told rattlesnakes are especially good eating. wink

Bob

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.