Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#244898 - 04/14/12 01:01 AM Plains states could see tornado outbreak
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
http://edition.cnn.com/2012/04/13/us/midwest-storms/

Heads up. One has already touched down in Norman, Oklahoma.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#244908 - 04/14/12 03:35 AM Re: Plains states could see tornado outbreak [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Wow, Izzy. Thanks for sharing that. It's fascinating to hear stories like that. What an interesting family history. Your Grandparents must have been heartbroken. That generation sure did have gumption, didn't they?

I said to my husband tonight, that I couldn't live in a place with that kind of risk. I don't know how all you tornado alley and earthquake coast people do it. You hurricaners either, for that matter. You're braver than me. My hat's off to you. Be safe!

#244920 - 04/14/12 12:43 PM Re: Plains states could see tornado outbreak [Re: bacpacjac]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Those of us in tornado alley are getting a good laugh out of the stories in the national media. This type of weather and these types of alerts are common here. They have never made the news before & it's really amusing to see the national media suddenly decide it's a story.

The headline on MSNBC is "Tornado sirens sound in Oklahoma after
'life-threatening' storms forecast".

Life threatening forecast? We have tornado watches ALL the time in Oklahoma in the spring.

What's next "torrential darkness"? (for any Patrick McManus fans our there. wink )

#244921 - 04/14/12 01:04 PM Re: Plains states could see tornado outbreak [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
I don't know how all you tornado alley and earthquake coast people do it. You hurricaners either, for that matter.

How do you do it? One day at a time. And you prep. And become informed. Every place has hazards and challenges. Jac, doesn't it get just a bit nippy in a normal winter up where you live? You just have to be ready for what might come...

#244925 - 04/14/12 05:21 PM Re: Plains states could see tornado outbreak [Re: bacpacjac]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Its good to have some sort of media on for advance warnings; TV, radio,
And a weather radio, or app, or text messaging service. 5-10 min warnings are gold.

TRO

( Me? I gotta put a kitten in a kennel and go to the basement - that's 10 mins right there. Another 5 for bactine application.)

#244927 - 04/14/12 05:59 PM Re: Plains states could see tornado outbreak [Re: bacpacjac]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Bacpacjac, it's probably a bit easier for most people - you get weather warnings.

Growing up in Cali, there aren't exactly earthquake forecasts. I'm not trying to start a pissing match on which is worse(do you go for the frequency, or the wide-spread devastation, or what?) , but at least with hurricanes you've got days of warning, snow storms ditto. Tornadoes typically a few minutes. Tsunami, a few minutes if you're lucky. Asteroid strike and earthquake, your first warning might be your last.

#244932 - 04/14/12 08:50 PM Re: Plains states could see tornado outbreak [Re: 7point82]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: 7point82
Those of us in tornado alley are getting a good laugh out of the stories in the national media.

The National Weather Service is apparently feeling like they aren't taken seriously, so they're busting out new and scarier words to use. That seems to be what's making it a story.

#244933 - 04/14/12 09:05 PM Re: Plains states could see tornado outbreak [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

It's true that there's risks everywhere. I hate sounding like an alarmist. I guess it's all a matter of perspective and experience. From the outside looking in, things can seem pretty scary. On the inside, it makes sense what you say about learning, adapting and preparing.

So, I guess my next question is when/how do you decide to bug in or out when we're talking about predicted but unpredictable tornadoes?

#244934 - 04/14/12 09:23 PM Re: Plains states could see tornado outbreak [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
So, I guess my next question is when/how do you decide to bug in or out when we're talking about predicted but unpredictable tornadoes?

The only way to bug out for tornadoes that makes sense to me is to not live in a tornado-prone area, at least during the season.

Bugging out for hurricanes makes sense to me: you typically have days of warning and you generally know that it is going to hit you and cause widespread devastation. Tornadoes can miss you easily and if they do hit you chances are good that they didn't hit everybody else, so first responders will hopefully be able to get to you quickly.

#244935 - 04/14/12 09:46 PM Re: Plains states could see tornado outbreak [Re: chaosmagnet]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Originally Posted By: 7point82
Those of us in tornado alley are getting a good laugh out of the stories in the national media.

The National Weather Service is apparently feeling like they aren't taken seriously, so they're busting out new and scarier words to use. That seems to be what's making it a story.

I think that is part of the reason for the added attention.

As far as bugging out, where tornadoes are concerned, the only way to bug out is well in advance. We are constantly reminded not to try and outrun a tornado.

If you wait until you are warned that a tornado is imminent then you can't chance trying to outrun it and should find the best cover to shelter in place.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.