Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#244857 - 04/13/12 04:02 PM reliability of EDC equipment
yee Offline

My pockets have assorted equipment of various ages and I noticed some have lasted better than others.

My original signal mirror (about 2"x3", plastic) got completely scratched up after about 2-3 years and needed replacing (with a milsurplus one). The original mirror did not have a plastic protective covering over the surface. This is stored in my wallet.

My current small fresnel lense (in my wallet) also is kind of useless at this point. Its scratched on both sides despite being in a protective vinyl cover.

I am on my second photon light (first one lasted about 5 years). At the time, I think only red was available. First, the on/off switch failed but would still light when the button was pressed. Then the button failed and I had to replace. This was stored on my keychain. I had this replaced as a warranty return.

I had an off brand photon-type light that only lasted about a year before failure. Likely poor quality. It was also stored on my keychain.

I have been through a number of cellphones (non-smartphone) which have failed because of battery issues, antenna falling off, buttons becoming intermittent. This is stored in my hip pocket.

My latest failure is again electrical. I have a 4Sevens single AA LED light for the past two years. The light first became intermittent and now failed completely. I initially bought it because I figured reliability would be higher since there are no moving parts. I found unexpected weaknesses since the light turns on by screwing the cap tight. As such, the cap has to be left loose. The cap kept on falling off the case! I am in the middle of a warranty return on this.
It is stored in my hip pocket attached to a lanyard.

My pockets seem to be a rough place for EDC equipment. Is there a more reliable single AA LED flashlight out there?

The advantage of EDC in pockets is that I seem to notice failures quicker and have them replaced earlier but with the constant movement, changing environments, etc. failures seem to be much more frequent.

Conway Yee

#244860 - 04/13/12 04:43 PM Re: reliability of EDC equipment [Re: yee]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
4Sevens' 120 month warranty is a good start. I have had no problems with my 4Sevens 1xAA mini, when I carry mine it's at the bottom of my front right pocket. My usual light is a 4Sevens or Fenix 1xAA on my belt behind a LM multi-tool. The light's sheath seems to offer better protection, but that may not be an option for you.

#244861 - 04/13/12 04:43 PM Re: reliability of EDC equipment [Re: yee]
mattmayhem Offline
Stranger

Not speaking from personal experience but I've seen alot of people EDCing the Maratac flashlights that country comm sells. They look pretty durable and I'll pick one up one of these days.
In terms of a keychain light I used to use chinese fauxton flashlights and just replace them after they eventually broke. Lately I've switched to the innova microlight and I'm pretty impressed, the light is very bright for its size and the construction seems more durable...the LED is very protected unlike the photon/fauxton sytle.

Edited by mattmayhem (04/13/12 04:51 PM)

#244866 - 04/13/12 05:37 PM Re: reliability of EDC equipment [Re: yee]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
I also find pockets to be really tough on EDC gear - especially things that attach to a keyring. I've had the most problems with USB drives, finally finding the Verbatim TUFF-‘N’-TINY actually holds up well. I've also found the more compact Fox-40 Micro wasn't durable enough so I carry the stronger Fox-40 Classic now (although the Mini looks like it might do the trick too).

I've had two different problems with keychain sized lights; either durability issues or they were too easy to accidently turn on. But I've been carrying a Fenix E01 for about 3 years now and it still works great (of course, this is a AAA light, not a AA one so it doesn't strictly fit what you are looking for).

#244867 - 04/13/12 06:02 PM Re: reliability of EDC equipment [Re: yee]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Matt,

I just bought one of the Maratac AA lights for my keychain. After the fourth Streamlight 3N switch failed. I am particularly pleased by the light starting out on low, instead of high as many do. We will see about reliability, but it looks good.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#244872 - 04/13/12 06:26 PM Re: reliability of EDC equipment [Re: Denis]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Originally Posted By: Denis

I've had two different problems with keychain sized lights; either durability issues or they were too easy to accidently turn on. But I've been carrying a Fenix E01 for about 3 years now and it still works great (of course, this is a AAA light, not a AA one so it doesn't strictly fit what you are looking for).

My wife and I both have E01s on our keychains. Mine is in my pocket most of the day. So far no problems after 2 or 3 years. Not the brightest of lights, but it serves its purpose.

I think it is unreasonable to expect stuff made primarily out of plastic that is carried in one's pocket where it is subject to almost constant abuse to last real long.

Bob

#244874 - 04/13/12 06:30 PM Re: reliability of EDC equipment [Re: yee]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I EDC an Arc single AA LED light and that thing has REALLY weathered the test of time well. Almost indistinguishable from the day I bought it. Amazing.

My mini RSK Mk1 has been carried clipped to my pocket almost since they came out (I got a fullsize and then as I recall a few months later decided that the mini would be more comfortable. The only real sign of wear is the black clip, which is really quite worn - with sliver edges and scratches. The handle is pristine, but there are two little chips taken out of the edges - most likely when dropped, rather than pocket wear. The blade shows no wear.

I also carry a Fox 40 whistle. I've gone through two of them - once upgrading to a newer Fox 40 Sonik. Both showed an accumulation of pocket filth, but otherwise showed no wear. The silver (nickel plate?) loop on the Sonik seems to be aging more gracefully than the gold/brass-toned loop on the older one, but both did their job just fine.

For a while I carried a small keychain compass made by Suunto. It didn't last long before the bezel on it started locking up. I don't carry it anymore.

#244880 - 04/13/12 06:43 PM Re: reliability of EDC equipment [Re: Denis]
yee Offline

I forgot about the whistle. Originally, I carried the Fox 40 Mini but TWO different ones failed at the slipring attachment as this is where the seam of the plastic is.

Conway Yee

#244886 - 04/13/12 07:36 PM Re: reliability of EDC equipment [Re: yee]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Left Front Pocket:

Foursevens Quark 123 R2: I carry this in a Fenix sheath to keep it from banging up my phone or getting banged up. Works perfectly. Some dings in the ano from drops and other abuse. It's been with me since December of 2009.

Fisher Bullet Space Pen (Black Titanium Nitride finish): Carried next to the Quark, replaced a stainless Fisher Bullet that I lost about a year ago. The Titanium Nitride finish looks spanking new. Works perfectly.

iPhone 4 with gel case: Almost two years old. Looks new and works great.

iPhone earbuds wrapped in a cord keeper: The earbuds also look new and work great.

The biggest problem I have with this setup other than the bulk is how long it takes me to fish my pen out when it's time to write something.

Right Front Pocket:

Leatherman Squirt PS4: A friend broke the file off one of these accidentally and Leatherman replaced it so fast my head spun. This one is about a year old. Carried on my keyring, it's showing some signs of cosmetic wear on the ano. However, it looks a heck of a lot better than their older-model Squirts did after a year of keyring carry.

Foursevens 120db Titanium Keychain Whistle: On my keychain for about seven months, it isn't as shiny as it was when it came out of the box, but it's worn nicely and still looks great. Still loud as heck too.

Foursevens Preon ReVO: This rides in a custom leather sheath on my keyring. The sheath is beat up but the flashlight looks brand new and works perfectly. It's been on there for about a year and a half.

My wallet and car keys are also in that pocket.

I also carry a folder clipped to my waistband, under my belt. About 90% of the time since January 2010 it's been a Ritter MiniGrip. As long as I do my part by keeping it sharp and lubricated it works flawlessly every time. It looks great.

Edited by chaosmagnet (04/13/12 08:03 PM)
Edit Reason: Posted too soon AGAIN

#244887 - 04/13/12 07:39 PM Re: reliability of EDC equipment [Re: yee]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
my yellow plastic Fox whistle from the AMK disappeared from my key ring... it had the brass colored wire ring... replaced it with an old fashoned nickel plated brass referee whistle..

#244888 - 04/13/12 07:41 PM Re: reliability of EDC equipment [Re: ILBob]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

my Grendel P-10 has a plastic frame and has vbeen in my pocket for 0ver 2 decades.

Edited by Snake_Doctor (04/13/12 07:41 PM)

#244890 - 04/13/12 08:12 PM Re: reliability of EDC equipment [Re: ]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
And for me, the Victorinox SAK in my right pocket has been riding there since 1982. The gold embossing of the logo, I must admit, has worn off (Should I complain? grin) . Otherwise, its in better shape than I am.

#244891 - 04/13/12 09:35 PM Re: reliability of EDC equipment [Re: KenK]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: KenK
For a while I carried a small keychain compass made by Suunto. It didn't last long before the bezel on it started locking up. I don't carry it anymore.

Yeah, I haven't found a pocket compass yet that can stand up to long-term pocket duty. On the few that I have tried, the face gets so scratched up that the dial is almost unreadable through the face, or else they develop an annoying bubble (not from freezing temps), or it just doesn't turn freely anymore (not sure why that happens).

I suppose using them as zipper pulls would be gentler, but then I wouldn't be able to easily toss it into my pocket, regardless of what clothes I choose to wear that day.

#244892 - 04/13/12 10:12 PM Re: reliability of EDC equipment [Re: yee]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
For flash drives, try the Case Logic two drive case. I'm currently using one to carry a Victorinox classic w/ flash drives and a mini Bic in the other side. They're made of a neoprene exterior with clear plastic and velcro between.

#244895 - 04/13/12 11:43 PM Re: reliability of EDC equipment [Re: yee]
jfish Offline
Stranger

For the 1 AA light, try the Gerber Infinity Ultra. Absolutely bulletproof and a lifetime warranty.

#244899 - 04/14/12 01:03 AM Re: reliability of EDC equipment [Re: yee]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The Infinity Ultra is a great light, legendary for its bulletproof reliability, but it is a bit big for EDC. I like AAA lights. I have had good experience with a Peak Matterhorn and more recently, a Fenix LD01, which is absolutely superb. Mine has worked flawlessly for about two years and is still going strong.

#244901 - 04/14/12 01:40 AM Re: reliability of EDC equipment [Re: yee]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Another happy Maratac flashlight owner here. The first one I bought, about 3 years ago, has ridden on my keyring since day 1. I use a fishing swivel between the flashlight and the keyring, and this seems to avoid any problems with the weak-looking attachment point.

Victorinox SAK Compact also on the same keyring, about the same time.

I also carry a Fenix PD30 clipped to my front pocket, and a Ken Onion Leek clipped to my rear pocket with my wallet.

The first iPhone I bought, at least 3 years ago, still works fine, in spite of the cracked glass. I gave it to my son when I got an iPhone 4, he took off the case and later dropped it. I've dropped my iPhone 4 onto concrete several times with no case, it shows no ill effects (other than a few rough spots on the trim). Before the iPhone I never had a cell phone last 2 years.

That's all I got. There's other gear I carry in my bag and sometimes I mix things up, but the above items are always in my pockets.

#244902 - 04/14/12 01:49 AM Re: reliability of EDC equipment [Re: yee]
mattmayhem Offline
Stranger

Anybody have a good/reliable/compact firestarter for EDC? I sometimes carry a bic lighter but am always nervous they will go dry before I need them or break/bleed fuel into my pocket.

#244904 - 04/14/12 02:02 AM Re: reliability of EDC equipment [Re: mattmayhem]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal

split pea lighter from county comm. I have had one on my keychain for over six months so far. I have also had good success with mini-Bics. I need to get some more and sprinkle them liberally in all my packs. I also keep goode old matches in all my cook kits. They have always worked for me in a pinch.

#244905 - 04/14/12 02:37 AM Re: reliability of EDC equipment [Re: yee]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

mattmayhem...the most compact non liquid fueled firestarter I can come up with is an 1/8" firesteel and a petroleum coated cotton ball compressed into about a 3" section of plastic straw sealed at the ends... they fit into a utility tool pouch along with a Leatherman Juice S2 and single CR123 flashlight and section of hacksaw blade, needle, and tweezers....they ride just behind my cell phone holster, and at my age, don't worry about what it looks like...P38, pill fob, whistle, E01 on the key ring... water transport bag, hemostatic gauze, telfa 2x2,knuckle bandage,chlorine dioxide tabs, and a couple of feet of duct tape in the wallet

Edited by LesSnyder (04/14/12 02:38 AM)

#244906 - 04/14/12 03:25 AM Re: reliability of EDC equipment [Re: LesSnyder]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Thanks Les! I'm going to try to get a PJ cotton ball in a little section of straw to fit into my Leather an sheath with my maglite solotare and ferro rod and striker. Great idea!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#244911 - 04/14/12 03:58 AM Re: reliability of EDC equipment [Re: yee]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Jackie... I used an old crochet needle to work it down the straw

#244915 - 04/14/12 04:48 AM Re: reliability of EDC equipment [Re: mattmayhem]
Stephen Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: mattmayhem
Anybody have a good/reliable/compact firestarter for EDC? I sometimes carry a bic lighter but am always nervous they will go dry before I need them or break/bleed fuel into my pocket.

They have some really nifty lighter covers out there for bic lighters that prevent crushing or the buttons being pressed while in a pocket. I have one which has a flip top similar in size to a zippo. The mini bic simply slides inside and is totally protected(not from being submerged) but from most else anyway. Wonderful little addition for about 10 bucks.

#244923 - 04/14/12 02:50 PM Re: reliability of EDC equipment [Re: LesSnyder]
mattmayhem Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
mattmayhem...the most compact non liquid fueled firestarter I can come up with is an 1/8" firesteel and a petroleum coated cotton ball compressed into about a 3" section of plastic straw sealed at the ends... they fit into a utility tool pouch along with a Leatherman Juice S2 and single CR123 flashlight and section of hacksaw blade, needle, and tweezers....they ride just behind my cell phone holster, and at my age, don't worry about what it looks like...P38, pill fob, whistle, E01 on the key ring... water transport bag, hemostatic gauze, telfa 2x2,knuckle bandage,chlorine dioxide tabs, and a couple of feet of duct tape in the wallet

Like your approach to EDC. Based on your post I went and added a gerber milk bag to my wallet. why not?

Anybody try this tool logic whistle/firestarting combo?
http://goinggear.com/tool-logic-signal-fire-keyring-accessory-whistle-fire-starter.html

#244942 - 04/15/12 04:57 PM Re: reliability of EDC equipment [Re: yee]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
The Gerber Infinity is a stellar bombproof flashlight. I've had it for a few years. I actually like the Pico light, surprised no one has mentioned it.

For signal mirrors or fresnel lenses, anything that can be scratched while carried, use Glad Press n' Seal food wrap over the face. Stuff is super tough, sticks to the surface and comes off great.

#244951 - 04/16/12 12:20 AM Re: reliability of EDC equipment [Re: yee]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Reasons to switch from pocket carry to backpack/purse/murse edc:

ETS players can be readily identified by their bulging pockets, exposing them to prepper profiling.

Pocket overload causes premature wear on clothing pocket surfaces.

Full-figured pocket packers may need to apply vaseline to doorways and hallways to permit passage (personal experience-YMMV}.

Constant jostling of pocket contents damages edc items.

Pocket weight may necessitate belt plus suspenders trouser suspension.

Gravitational pull on pocket contents may result in belt/suspender failure, limiting options for fight/flight response.

#244952 - 04/16/12 04:20 AM Re: reliability of EDC equipment [Re: Arney]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: Arney
Yeah, I haven't found a pocket compass yet that can stand up to long-term pocket duty.

I can't help thinking something like this would be a cool EDC item:

This is a Dalvey Explorer pocket compass, something I noticed browsing the The Compass Store (in the pocket & gift section).

#244954 - 04/16/12 05:34 AM Re: reliability of EDC equipment [Re: yee]
comms Offline
Veteran

Denis, I love that compass. Been wanting one for a long time b/c I think a gentlemens compass is cool. However...I held one a friend got for a gift and it is heavy. Really heavy.

Davey is great taste in compass

#244956 - 04/16/12 07:18 AM Re: reliability of EDC equipment [Re: Arney]
Ms_V_Nox Offline
Stranger

I've had a "Brunton Clip on Compass with Cover" (a search at Amazon will bring this up) for about 20 years and carried it in pocket for a long time and it is still in great shape. I don't recall the needle ever sticking on me.

#244957 - 04/16/12 08:09 AM Re: reliability of EDC equipment [Re: comms]
Cauldronborn2 Offline

Loc: UK
Comms check the second link there's several other compasses listed.

#244960 - 04/16/12 05:14 PM Re: reliability of EDC equipment [Re: yee]
comms Offline
Veteran

i've been going to website for years to research compasses. Very good to see it listed.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.