The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#244673 - 04/09/12 06:56 PM Proper use of bear spray
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Bear spray is a good tool, but like any tool people need to understand how to use it and, perhaps as importantly, how not to use it. I noticed something in an article I refered to elsewhere that I had heard before, but always had a hard time believing was true:

Herrero said he frequently encounters people dousing their tents and packs with bear spray like it was mosquito repellent.

I really don't understand how people could come to the conclusion that bear spray works that way, but it doesn't. The article continues:

But while bear spray’s irritating chemicals will make an attacking bear break off its charge, the oils and solvents that keep it liquid are a food source in more relaxed situations.

“We’ve found it works as an attractant, and it remains a strong attractant for 24 hours or more after spraying,” Herrero said. He spoke of one man who laid a cloud of spray around his campsite, only to spend the night in a tree while several bears came to investigate.

Just a heads up I guess in case anyone browsing this forum wonders about using bear spray as a preventative bear avoidance measure.

It's also a good reminder that if we ever have to use bear spray in a defensive manner (i.e., the right way!) that we should vacate the area as soon as possible and try to clean ourselves & our gear up as best we can.

#244675 - 04/09/12 07:46 PM Re: Proper use of bear spray [Re: Denis]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I'm not sure I ever would have thought to use bear spray like bug spray. Now I'll know in case the idea ever pops up. Thanks for the heads up.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#244682 - 04/09/12 09:23 PM Re: Proper use of bear spray [Re: bacpacjac]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Does bear spray work on coyotes? I have been told by several other hikers that coyotes have stalked them in my favorite hiking spot. one guy said 3 of them surrounded him on a trail. this being the PR of IL, the most effective defense against coyotes is prohibited by law, so I was thinking maybe bear spray would work.

Bob

#244686 - 04/09/12 10:10 PM Re: Proper use of bear spray [Re: Denis]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Denis
It's also a good reminder that if we ever have to use bear spray in a defensive manner (i.e., the right way!) that we should vacate the area as soon as possible and try to clean ourselves & our gear up as best we can.

Regardless of any close encounter with any bear and regardless of any deterrent used; ie: bear spray, beating the bear with a stick, playing dead, climbing a tree etc. Once the imminent threat of a bear attack has subsided and there are no dire life threatening injuries that cannot be wait to be stabilized, it is always strongly recommended that you and your group vacate the area as a precaution to prevent a possible 2nd confrontation.

John Lubbock

#244694 - 04/09/12 11:01 PM Re: Proper use of bear spray [Re: Denis]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
All seriousness aside, that is a pretty funny fail.

ILBob, I think Bear Spray is the same thing as pepper spray for humans. I believe that the main difference is the size of the container and percentage of OC. approx 1% OC for humans and approx 2% OC for bears. Since the container is larger and can hold more propellant, it can be sprayed further than a keychain sized container of OC spray. It also has more material to spray. I can't imagine this not working on a coyote.

I would also think an air horn would also work for coyotes too. They seem to work pretty well for regular dogs...so far.

#244701 - 04/10/12 01:30 AM Re: Proper use of bear spray [Re: Denis]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Bear spray is typically at least 5% OC and I've seen 10%. It's the same thing that's used on humans other than size of the bottle and sometimes OC concentration.

It may or may not work on canids. Some dogs seem to be unaffected by OC, so it's possible that a coyote may not be deterred.

The one time I had a coyote stalking me, it so happened that I was walking to the rifle range. When I unslung the rifle the coyote vanished. I figure it had seen a rifle before and wanted urgently to not see one again.

#244704 - 04/10/12 02:14 AM Re: Proper use of bear spray [Re: ILBob]
Stephen Offline

Loc: Canada
macecananda.com

I can't say I ever tried it, but this stuff is designed for dogs. Yotes follow me all the time in these parts. Every once in a while I will catch sight of one following my trail but they have always maintained distance. I think they are more curious than anything. I never really considered them a threat.

I don't think I would ever consider spraying down Coyotes with bear spray as there are plenty of better ways to get them to bugger off. I would likely end up getting most of it in my own face by accident and be blind myself. That wouldn't exactly make me feel better in the uber rare occassion I was surounded by maneating dogs.

The bears out here are huge and they do kill people on occassion. I do not fear them but I give them the respect due. As a result I carry bear spray during season and know how to use it properly. They say you stand a better chance of surviving a bear attack using bear spray properly then you would with a firearm. Hope I never have to test that theory.

#244706 - 04/10/12 02:47 AM Re: Proper use of bear spray [Re: Denis]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Strongest EPA approved animal repellent rating is 2.0% Capsaicinoid

#244710 - 04/10/12 04:05 AM Re: Proper use of bear spray [Re: GarlyDog]
lukus Offline

Loc: TEXAS (where else?)
Originally Posted By: GarlyDog
Strongest EPA approved animal repellent rating is 2.0% Capsaicinoid

I had some that was 10%. To be fair, it was LE grade, but it did have something about repelling some "common animals, such as" and then listed some animals including dogs, bears, and apes. I thought it was hilarious that apes were common around the spray factory.

I once tried it on a dog. It was a very aggressive dog that went after anybody riding a bike on the street in front of his house. I spritzed it at the dog while trying to keep my feet up from his snapping jaws. He ran off, but not yelping in great pain like I had hoped. I turned my bike around to see what the affect had been. I then rode through the invisible left-over cloud. It stopped me. Perhaps I was the ape it referred to.

#244764 - 04/11/12 02:23 AM Re: Proper use of bear spray [Re: chaosmagnet]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Bear spray is typically at least 5% OC and I've seen 10%. It's the same thing that's used on humans other than size of the bottle and sometimes OC concentration.

Really? I think its more a matter of the type/quality of the OC used. In one website below, they compared several sprays.
http://1life1bearspray.com/
One thing to note is whether the spray comes out as a stream or as a thick fog and the distance it can project and the total volume it can spray out. A 30 ft cloud of spray in the bear's path is probably the most effective. But consider this, spray the cloud well before the bear is within 30 ft so that it has to run into it to get to you. A the bear or other animal can make up 30 ft in only a second or two. Putting an obstacle like a tree or a boulder can also give you that extra fraction of a second to defend yourself. And being up wind of the spray is definitely preferable to being downwind!

Anybody here with any practical experience with bear bangers? If one has the time to load up a cartridge and back away from a scene, one could fire off a banger to disuade a curious or menacing animal. Then in the other hand get out the bear spray.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 411 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.