Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#246632 - 06/04/12 06:51 PM Re: Peanut Lighters by Nagatac [Re: ireckon]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
I own both the peanut lighter and the split pea lighter.

I was just looking at these and the split pea lighters look like they'd make a great addition to a keychain. I'm wondering, how much fuel does one of those hold & how long would it burn for?

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Don't worry, Countycomm doesn't ship outside the USA. You're safe.

We aren't safe any longer smile. This guy sells CountyComm gear and will ship to Canada.

#246634 - 06/04/12 07:22 PM Re: Peanut Lighters by Nagatac [Re: Denis]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Denis
I was just looking at these and the split pea lighters look like they'd make a great addition to a keychain. I'm wondering, how much fuel does one of those hold & how long would it burn for?

The answer to both questions is "not much". It's certainly enough to light several fires in good conditions, but I wouldn't rely upon it to dry out my tinder before lighting it or as any sort of long-term light source on its own.

My most recent tool maintenance exercise found that my peanut and split pea lighters had not lost a measurable amount of fuel in three months. Just make sure that you check the o-rings and replace them at appropriate intervals.

#246639 - 06/04/12 08:03 PM Re: Peanut Lighters by Nagatac [Re: chaosmagnet]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Is the peanut much better as far as fuel capacity & overall capability goes? I guess looking at the specs, both seem like they may actually be reasonable additions to a keyring. Is your peanut a part of your regular EDC?

Also, its good to hear there don't seem to be any evaporation issues.

#246640 - 06/04/12 08:26 PM Re: Peanut Lighters by Nagatac [Re: ireckon]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Evaporation has been very slow with mine. I did have one o-ring go bad and that one was bone dry. A new o-ring and a refill and all was well.

The peanut carries something like three times the fuel. I have a split-pea in my commuter kit and a peanut in my BOB. I don't EDC a lighter on my person.

#246664 - 06/05/12 04:46 PM Re: Peanut Lighters by Nagatac [Re: chaosmagnet]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: north central west TX

peanut test over at EDCF showed it worked after 59 weeks:

Non-Butane Lighter Review - Long-term Backup Viability

#246665 - 06/05/12 05:22 PM Re: Peanut Lighters by Nagatac [Re: wileycoyote]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: wileycoyote

peanut test over at EDCF showed it worked after 59 weeks:

Non-Butane Lighter Review - Long-term Backup Viability

I have cheapo peanut lighters from Dealextreme.com. They're sitting on a shelf and have held fuel for about 2 years and still going. I only light them about once every 6 months for kicks. I have to say that all this talk about fuel eventually running out of a peanut lighter, I have yet to experience it. I don't deny that it will happen. It just hasn't happened yet for my peanut lighters.

Let me check again right now... Yep, they still light up. In fact, they're still saturated with the fuel I put in there.

For that test in the link above, note the guy was lighting up his lighters EVERY week. So, the fuel ran out of the peanut lighters after 59 weeks probably because he was using them, not because they were leaking. Also, we can't say if his O-ring was in shape. 59 weeks is great, but again mine still light up after 2 years of rarely lighting up my peanut lighters.

Bottom line, a peanut lighter can serve as a damn reliable backup firestarter, especially if you hardly ever use it.

#246667 - 06/05/12 07:19 PM Re: Peanut Lighters by Nagatac [Re: ireckon]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
I would think the absence of a wind screen like on a ZIPPO it could still be used as an improvised Sparklite if the fuel was dry...,.

BOATMAN
John

#246678 - 06/06/12 01:57 PM Re: Peanut Lighters by Nagatac [Re: ireckon]
RNewcomb Offline

Loc: Iowa
This is a great article.. I've tried a couple of different lighters now.. I have a zippo, but the fuel evaporates in about 1 - 2 weeks... I spend more time filling it that actually using it.

I bought a Coleman butane lighter. Unless the lighter is "warmed up", it won't stay lit. Very annoying.

I see a peanut lighter in my future...

#246776 - 06/08/12 07:19 PM Re: Peanut Lighters by Nagatac [Re: ireckon]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
I got similar peanut lighters from some online store and off eBay recently. They are made better than the plain one above because of a couple improvements. First of all the bottom of the lighter is flat, so it can stand upright freely, working as a hands free candle. The second feature - the last couple of threads for the cap are conical so you can not overtighten the gasket, damaging it or pushing it out of the dedicated groove, what may cause leackage or evaporation. However I'm still using a long piece of duct tape over the gasket as on my older lighters - I love dual purpose kits.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 433 Guests and 56 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.