Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#244562 - 04/06/12 08:46 PM How Much White Gas Do I Need?
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
How much white gas should one bring on a trip? I don't know that I can give you a one-size-fits all answer since so much depends on the individual and conditions, but I've got some ideas that may help you get a handle on the issue.

Please join me as I briefly examine How Much White Gas Do I Need?

HJ

#244565 - 04/06/12 10:12 PM Re: How Much White Gas Do I Need? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
widget Offline
Addict

Hey Jim, I say if you're using the MSR EGK, take a LOT of white gas:) They burn like a Saturn 5 booster. J/k, another great article, thank you!

#244571 - 04/07/12 01:59 AM Re: How Much White Gas Do I Need? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Good article but it's only one man's style.

Experience and practice with one's gear, food habits and partners is the only way to be sure.

You might consider mentioning that stove fuel is necessary if one is going to boil water for safe drinking. I consider my stove and a some extra fuel as the backup for my water pump.
I don't carry enough fuel to cover the whole trip as primary water supply but it would help stretch the safe water supply.

#244573 - 04/07/12 03:42 AM Re: How Much White Gas Do I Need? [Re: unimogbert]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: unimogbert
Good article but it's only one man's style.
Yep.

Experience and practice with one's gear, food habits and partners is the only way to be sure.
Yep.

My numbers should be treated perhaps as a starting point, a point from which you fine tune to get your own numbers.

You might consider mentioning that stove fuel is necessary if one is going to boil water for safe drinking. I consider my stove and a some extra fuel as the backup for my water pump.
Good point. Your stove + some extra fuel makes a really good back up water treatment. Boiling is the most effective water treatment for bacteria, viruses, and other microbes.

HJ

#244579 - 04/07/12 12:05 PM Re: How Much White Gas Do I Need? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The problem becomes even more interesting when you throw in air travel, which means you will purchase your fuel where you begin your excursion. For one thing, you may carry a stove that burns the fuel available at your destination, not necessarily your first preference. Secondly, you may buy a fuel module that has far more fuel than you need for basic cooking. This often means you can boil water with great abandon and leave the filter, etc. behind. This can actually result in a net savings in weight.

Just cross your fingers and hope the shelves aren't bare when you trot up to buy fuel.

#244587 - 04/07/12 04:15 PM Re: How Much White Gas Do I Need? [Re: hikermor]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Just cross your fingers and hope the shelves aren't bare when you trot up to buy fuel.
Yeah, that happened to me recently. I walked in expecting to find the Coleman fuel cans all lined up, but there was not a one on the shelves. I guess some of these places are carrying "just in time" inventory management just a bit too far. Fortunately for me, there was another store that had them near by.

HJ

#244589 - 04/07/12 04:32 PM Re: How Much White Gas Do I Need? [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
The problem becomes even more interesting when you throw in air travel, which means you will purchase your fuel where you begin your excursion. .......
That is one reason to carry a liquid fuel stove. White gas seems to be available most places (at least in N America). If you buy one of the multi-fuel stoves that will also burn kerosene you are in even better shape. Propane/butane canisters can be hard to find in some places.

Edited by AKSAR (04/07/12 05:04 PM)
Edit Reason: Clarity

#244595 - 04/07/12 05:46 PM Re: How Much White Gas Do I Need? [Re: AKSAR]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: AKSAR
The problem becomes even more interesting when you throw in air travel, which means you will purchase your fuel where you begin your excursion. .......
That is one reason to carry a liquid fuel stove. White gas seems to be available most places (at least in N America). If you buy one of the multi-fuel stoves that will also burn kerosene you are in even better shape. Propane/butane canisters can be hard to find in some places.

I don't want to take the thread off track, but... I agree, even here in the U.S. not more than 30 miles from the nations Capital there are a lot of gas stations that carry both propane and k-1 kerosene (and of course, normal gasoline). Canisters for backpacking stoves? Never heard of them.

If your planning includes, shall I say, scarcity of resources, I like propane and multi-liquid stoves. Most flexibility and availability of resources. Also, at least around here, the very reasonably priced (competition keeps the price down).

#244605 - 04/07/12 09:00 PM Re: How Much White Gas Do I Need? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
....How much white gas should one bring on a trip?....HJ

My customers are saying NONE! I don't argue with them because my experience is with propane. I know your discussion addresses how much to carry on the trail. My interest is in the customers shifting from Coleman Fuel to unleaded gas when heading out on the trip.

I used to sell hundreds of cans of Coleman Fuel. Now I sell < five cans per year. When asked about using unleaded in their stoves, I can get none to admit that they have had any problems with their stoves. I have read all of Colemans warnings (Marketing ?) and the other fuel manufacturers.

What is your take?

I am thinking of cacheing fuel on my Creature-of-Habit trails.
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#244606 - 04/07/12 09:10 PM Re: How Much White Gas Do I Need? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Unleaded stinks a little, but the most damaging aspect is at least here pretty much everybody add 10% ethanol to gasoline, and it'll eat your rubber/plastic component alive.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.