Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#244428 - 04/04/12 04:25 PM Prepping Setbacks: Water Storage
Krista Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I bought the container below at Walmart. I am quickly reinforcing my belief that not everything should be bought from walmart. frown I was very proud of myself for getting 6 whole gallons of water storage achieved in a matter of minutes.

But then, after cleaning it, treating the water with bleach, and happily filling away... (to the tune of "what's that for Mama" and "Is that for watering plants") I discovered, to my dismay.... water leakage.

First, I noticed it coming from the little air vent thing:

Then, I saw another flaw, a small pinprick size hole:

SO. Now I am thoroughly frustrated. Could I preserve the quality of the water by trying to seal these weakness in the container (maybe with wax or something?).

Or should I just grit my teeth and return the stupid thing to Walmart and get my money back?

I was intending to rotate every three months, but even still, I don't know what kind of nasties could grow in there in that amount of time with it not being airtight...?

What kind of setbacks have you experienced?

(I've never posted pics before, so hopefully this worked properly)

~Marion C. Garretty

#244430 - 04/04/12 04:30 PM Re: Prepping Setbacks: Water Storage [Re: Krista]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
"return the stupid thing to Walmart" -- Walmart needs to see the unsatisfactory quality of their cheap stuff.

#244432 - 04/04/12 04:34 PM Re: Prepping Setbacks: Water Storage [Re: Russ]
Krista Offline

Originally Posted By: Russ
"return the stupid thing to Walmart" -- Walmart needs to see the unsatisfactory quality of their cheap stuff.

*sigh*

I guess I will think about even being kind enough to remove the water first... wink

~Marion C. Garretty

#244433 - 04/04/12 04:43 PM Re: Prepping Setbacks: Water Storage [Re: Krista]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Krista
I was intending to rotate every three months, but even still, I don't know what kind of nasties could grow in there in that amount of time with it not being airtight...?

If you're otherwise happy with the container, I would try to exchange it. Now that you know what a potential pin prick hole looks like, hopefully you could inspect the replacement for one before walking out of the store.

Water does not need to be kept in an airtight container during storage. Clean water, stored in a clean container, kept out of sunlight, should not grow anything, regardless of whether the water is sealed or not. Unless you're getting a strong plastic taste (which probably would go away with a number of water changes...or not), I think rotating every three months is unnecessarily short. You could easily go six months or even a year between changes.

By the way, I wouldn't call the vent hole a defect. If water is coming out out of the vent, my opinion is that you overfilled the container beyond what the manufacturer intended.

But good for you for making the effort towards preparedness! smile

#244435 - 04/04/12 04:54 PM Re: Prepping Setbacks: Water Storage [Re: Arney]
Krista Offline

Originally Posted By: Arney
Originally Posted By: Krista

If you're otherwise happy with the container, I would try to exchange it. Now that you know what a potential pin prick hole looks like, hopefully you could inspect the replacement for one before walking out of the store.

Water does not need to be kept in an airtight container during storage. Clean water, stored in a clean container, kept out of sunlight, should not grow anything, regardless of whether the water is sealed or not. Unless you're getting a strong plastic taste (which probably would go away with a number of water changes...or not), I think rotating every three months is unnecessarily short. You could easily go six months or even a year between changes.

By the way, I wouldn't call the vent hole a defect. If water is coming out out of the vent, my opinion is that you overfilled the container beyond what the manufacturer intended.

But good for you for making the effort towards preparedness! smile

Arney, you are right about the vent hole, I guess I was filling it up a little too enthusiastically! And once I took out some water, it wasn't coming out of the pinprick anymore either. Maybe I should just dump out a little more of the water. I have to admit, I was nervous about the bleach, and wanted to make sure I had the measurements as exact as I could. I figured since the container said six gallons, that meant up to the top. lol. Survival's a learning process! smile

I keep reading varying opinions on rotations. Like you said, FEMA agrees that 6 months is good. But I came across a couple of other sites that said if you use tap water to do every 3. My logic was that if I make every three months water rotate day, I could also use that time to check my food storage expiration dates too. Make sense? Or could I push that out to every 6 months as well?

~Marion C. Garretty

#244437 - 04/04/12 05:38 PM Re: Prepping Setbacks: Water Storage [Re: Krista]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I change out my drinking water at the beginning of hurricane season...using a couple of the blue 6/7 gallon containers with spigots as they are convenient... I do add clorox at the old rate of 8drops per gallon...

#244440 - 04/04/12 05:59 PM Re: Prepping Setbacks: Water Storage [Re: LesSnyder]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
I've had water leak from cheap containers before. Not worth the risk in my opinion. That container may have just done you a favor by revealing how cheap it is before you needed the water.

HJ

#244445 - 04/04/12 06:26 PM Re: Prepping Setbacks: Water Storage [Re: Krista]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
My preference is for airtight storage; this prevents insects from getting at the water. It's pretty yucky to open your stored water and find a bunch of dead bugs in it.

For myself, I would return it.

Make sure that you have the means to disinfect water; this makes for a good backup to stored water if nothing else.

#244448 - 04/04/12 06:35 PM Re: Prepping Setbacks: Water Storage [Re: Krista]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Bummer--I hate it when something like that happens.

As for returning it, I'd calculate the dollar cost of gas for making the trip. I live about 30 miles from the nearest Walmart, so just gas alone can add up if I only go there for one thing. It may cost more to drive to return it than it cost in the first place.

This (distance) and the number of times I've gotten something not worth their low, low, price is why I've given up on them and switched to other sources, e.g. on-line.

#244450 - 04/04/12 06:47 PM Re: Prepping Setbacks: Water Storage [Re: Krista]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
An occasional pinhole is a problem when blow molding. The cost of manually inspecting and/or filling and draining each container would be cost prohibitive.

I would just exchange it for another one that you have visually inspected for pinholes.

If you add bleach to the tap water and store it away from direct light, 6 months should be good. You are going to get some plastic taste from just about any plastic container except for a few plastics which are too rigid for making large containers. What I do is post filter any stored water I wish to use for drinking through a Britta filter. These filters contain carbon which will absorb a lot of the plastic taste and most of the residual chlorine taste too. Don't try to filter it all through the Britta, just the water you want to drink or cook with.

Always make sure you use fresh bleach as it has a shelf life of only a few months. And don't use bleach with any additives like perfumes, etc.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.