Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#244481 - 04/05/12 03:14 AM Re: What do you plan to barter? [Re: Paul810]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

I didn't say it would be a fatal hit. But that it could hit at that range. I have no faith in the 5.56 past 300 meters. I prefer my H&K 91 or a good BA past that range. However I don't want this turning into a my gun is bigger than yours contest. It's not germane to the subject and I don't think the thread should get locked.

#244482 - 04/05/12 03:18 AM Re: What do you plan to barter? [Re: ireckon]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Unless we have EMP Ireckon.

#244537 - 04/06/12 03:22 PM Re: What do you plan to barter? [Re: dweste]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: dweste
Let me suggest a slight change in focus: do you include barter goods in your set of preparedness gear? If so, what?
I include more of what I need of some goods, partly so that I have a surplus I can give to others. Example goods include toilet paper, rice, even water.

Alcohol is an interesting one because I don't consider it to preparedness item in the normal sense, of something I'd need for my own survival. I do stockpile it as a potential barter item, but I probably wouldn't bother if I didn't also drink it in normal life.

Everything kept needs to justify its place, and the most useful things for barter are going to be the things useful in themselves, so nothing is really kept purely for barter. And it's hard to predict what other people will want; most likely it will be the same things I want. You can hope to get lucky with consumables that often get overlooked, but you never know what there will be shortages of. Partly I am driven by convenience. Toilet paper is convenient for me because it doesn't expire.

#244847 - 04/13/12 07:37 AM Re: What do you plan to barter? [Re: dweste]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I don't intend to collect things for barter only.

I will have what we need , and if barter seems necessary, I amy exchange a few things.

Having said that let me ask you what you think about these as bater items :

- Survival/prep books ( like SAS manual , Dare to prepare, Cody's books, LDS manual , and such )

- Three ring binders of prep info ( selectively printed from the net, some you can giveaway to relatives/frinds after SHTF)

- CONDOMS ( non-lubricated )

- Survival kit in a can.
Sure it isn't much but can be used like a "small bill".

#244850 - 04/13/12 12:43 PM Re: What do you plan to barter? [Re: dweste]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

Small things such as toothbrushes and pens. But if you have a long term view - skills not things is the way to go

#245194 - 04/22/12 06:02 PM Re: What do you plan to barter? [Re: dweste]
CarlosD Offline
Stranger

Trying to get back into the swing of things after a long hiatus.

This is quite an interesting thread! I, myself, brew beer and making wine and mead is even easier. I would most likely try to barter this skill set and product.

You also don't need to go "big" with brewing tanks and whatnot. All us home brewers work off 5 - 10 gal batches at a time, usually. Besides, limited availability should increase demand, no? wink

Re: medical professionals, I would rather have someone who has been field-tested than a prima donna who specializes in rhinoplasty.

BUT... if I've got a compound fracture or am bleeding out from a gut wound, I'll take ANYONE with ANY medical training over someone without or no one at all.

#245209 - 04/23/12 06:27 AM Re: What do you plan to barter? [Re: dweste]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
this is not the sort of thing that i prepare for but around the camp fire on a canoe trip the subject came up and i ventured things like thread,canned meat,lard,salt,when a buddy chimed in the best answer,alcohol-booze-vodka to be exact.his idea was to buy a bottle of cheap vodka,the stuff made in New Jersey that comes in plastic quarts,every time you went to the store for a case of beer or a bottle of wine.in time you would have cases of it.he said that if things in the USA ever got so bad that people had to barter like they did in Europe during WW2 then what people would really want was something to blot out the bad world they fell into,like the people in Russia did/do.

#245796 - 05/10/12 04:26 PM Re: What do you plan to barter? [Re: dweste]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I shop Sam's Club but medical is the area where I have more than enough. Water is lagging in second place.

Jeanette Isabelle

#251406 - 10/03/12 11:32 PM Re: What do you plan to barter? [Re: bacpacjac]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
I inherited silver from both my Grandmothers - tea service, cutlery, serving utensils, etc. My aunts think I keep it for sentimental reasons. We use it all at big family gatherings. Little do they know that it's all part of my "just in case" supplies.

We inherited some nice china,and bought a bit more,we use it daily because you only live once.

Would love a sterling silverware set,have a friend who uses hers daily.

Nothing like eating off of and with quality substantial utensils.

Got our cast iron,after being brought up to speed on that its our #1 go to cookware,only SS for a few things.Lesson from my parents that I'd forgot about,dummy!

Yup,more cost upfront but it lasts generations,cheaper by buying REAL quality from the get go.
============================
For barter? Foodstuffs,knife sharpening and maybe some solar and health things,have a friend who is an herbologist (is that correct?) and we will be working together in It hit the fan times,though hopefully that never happens.

#251413 - 10/04/12 01:26 AM Re: What do you plan to barter? [Re: spuds]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

How about Wellies?

They should be easy to trade when folks realize that they will have to dig for victory come the SHTF.

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.