Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#244415 - 04/04/12 11:33 AM Re: What do you plan to barter? [Re: Bingley]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
But doctors and medical professionals are out there in the general population, and are random events that can coincide with your emergency. It has happened to me on more than one occasion - the timely appearance of a doctor or nurse on the scene of an emergency. On at least one of those occasions, the physician just turned to our team and said, "go ahead, your treatment looks fine, you know more about this than I do."

The most outstanding example I can recall was treatment of a victim of high altitude cerebral edema on Denali. The victim was able to descend to 14,000, Advanced Base Camp, was in much better shape, and was examined by our team. Also in camp was Dr. James Wilkerson, who wrote several books on the subject (Medicine for Mountaineering). He came over, as word spread about the incident through camp, and monitored our performance. Afterwards, we had a very insightful and educational critique and evaluation, which is one of the highlights of my climbing career. The event messed up our attempt of the summit, but is was easily a fair trade.

#244416 - 04/04/12 11:35 AM Re: What do you plan to barter? [Re: hikermor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Just got to add. This one wins the all time championship for thread drift - physicians and ballistics of .22 rounds! I wouldn't trade it for anything..

#244436 - 04/04/12 05:12 PM Re: What do you plan to barter? [Re: dweste]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
We had a good thread on this not that long ago that would be a good read.

In situations that are not yet TEOTWAWKI, the concept of a "time bank" apparently is catching on in Greece as many people just don't have the Euros to pay for a lot of things. In a time bank, you trade time/services, like an hour of babysitting for an hour of piano lessons. So you don't necessarily need specialized skills like a doctor or mechanic to barter your services.

Personally, I don't think barter would ever be the main means of exchange, or not for long. It's just too unwieldy for frequent day-to-day needs and if trading a lot of consumables, the supply of them are going to be used up fairly rapidly.

And with large or expensive items, it's going to be hard to weigh relative value. People will get ripped off a lot with big items, probably because one side doesn't have a choice and are desperate.

If things really got that bad, I think some sort of alternative currency or scrip system would come about, or perhaps certain items, like cigarettes, would essentially become money. You wouldn't trade cigarettes so you could smoke, you'd hold onto them and trade them for other things.

Unfortunately, I think it's hard to predict what items might become some new trading medium. Bar soap? Sewing needles? If cigarettes, maybe only a particular brand will be acceptable as money and anything else will only be good for smoking. I was reading about a recent example of cigarettes as money a while back, but I forget the details or where I read it (did I read it on ETS?). Only one particular brand was acceptable, though, like Merit or something like that. If you had a closet full of Camels, you were out of luck. You could still trade, of course, but you'd need to spend more effort to negotiate a trade.

#244446 - 04/04/12 06:27 PM Re: What do you plan to barter? [Re: Arney]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Here are some bigger options for people or companies that have the means:

-water purifying service
-power supplier
-garbage hauling service
-ISP (Internet Service Provider)
-information technology service
-cell phone network service

Hey, it's not like our modern technology is all going to vanish suddenly.

#244449 - 04/04/12 06:36 PM Re: What do you plan to barter? [Re: Arney]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: Arney
If things really got that bad, I think some sort of alternative currency or scrip system would come about, or perhaps certain items, like cigarettes, would essentially become money. You wouldn't trade cigarettes so you could smoke, you'd hold onto them and trade them for other things.

If that happened, that would come much later rather than sooner. Everybody in the system would have to agree the alternative currency has value, or everybody would have to believe they would get their skull knocked in if they don't honor the currency. If just a few influential people didn't honor the alternative currency, then the whole system would collapse because those few people would cause a ripple effect. The U.S. Dollar works because substantially everybody believes Federal Reserve Notes have value. I'm sure even Ron Paul believes it's possible to walk into almost any store and buy something with cash in his wallet.

Bartering is clumsier and less precise, but several orders of magnitude simpler.

#244474 - 04/05/12 01:55 AM Re: What do you plan to barter? [Re: Bingley]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Bingley
The hair-splitting about doctors seems to be a meditation upon a luxury that we probably won't have in any emergency situation. While I agree on the relative suitability of various sorts of doctors, we'd be lucky to find even one doctor, much less someone who specializes in exactly what we need. It's not like we'll have a special forces combat medic, an ER doctor who's comfortable improvising, an OBGYN, a neurosurgeon, and an osteopath to pick from, unless the emergency happens in the middle of a medical convention. It's hard enough already in our current First World life to find a good doctor. It's going to be a throw of the dice in a disaster.

The *Ditch Medicine* book looks... exactly like the sort of stuff I hope I'll never have to do in real life. Many grim scenarios. Better get a copy of the book. Thanks for the recommendation.

Agreed, and I'm part of the problem! But even a mediocre doc SHOULD have enough knowledge to treat most basic things that are above a paramedic level. It'll also be harder to do damage to someone as meds run out ...

I've got nothing to add re: 5.56 ballistics ... lol.

#244477 - 04/05/12 03:01 AM Re: What do you plan to barter? [Re: MDinana]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Where there is no doctor and where there is no dentist are good also.

#244478 - 04/05/12 03:04 AM Re: What do you plan to barter? [Re: ponder]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Thanks Ponder. SD

#244479 - 04/05/12 03:07 AM Re: What do you plan to barter? [Re: MDinana]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Sorry Mdiana. I lumped in the emts without the intended qualifier. My bad.

#244480 - 04/05/12 03:08 AM Re: What do you plan to barter? [Re: MDinana]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: MDinana
Originally Posted By: Bingley
It's hard enough already in our current First World life to find a good doctor.

Agreed, and I'm part of the problem! But even a mediocre doc SHOULD have enough knowledge to treat most basic things that are above a paramedic level. It'll also be harder to do damage to someone as meds run out ...

I didn't mean to disparage anyone on the forum. I suppose I was just reacting to my personal experience. I am chronically ill, and I live in a small town. I had to travel almost halfway across the country to find a doctor who could treat me. I'm sure there are many excellent doctors, medics, and nurses out there, and on this forum. It just may take a bit of work finding them.

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 388 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.