Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#244375 - 04/03/12 07:28 PM Re: What do you plan to barter? [Re: NightHiker]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Wow. Didn't mean to kick the hornets nest.

#244377 - 04/03/12 07:36 PM Re: What do you plan to barter? [Re: LesSnyder]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Nope. It's a standard model with a bull barrel we added when I was young and worked at a gunshop. An M-16 is capable of hitting a man sized target a 1000 meters. I have always been very good at long range shots. That session I used a bench rest and took my time on a dead calm summer day. Look at the snipers in Nam who were using .30 caliber weapons and the shots they performed. White Feather was one. Thanks for responding.

#244388 - 04/03/12 09:38 PM Re: What do you plan to barter? [Re: ]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
Nope. It's a standard model with a bull barrel we added when I was young and worked at a gunshop. An M-16 is capable of hitting a man sized target a 1000 meters. I have always been very good at long range shots. That session I used a bench rest and took my time on a dead calm summer day. Look at the snipers in Nam who were using .30 caliber weapons and the shots they performed. White Feather was one. Thanks for responding.

Wonder how this response got into this particular thread.

Bob

#244394 - 04/03/12 11:34 PM Re: What do you plan to barter? [Re: ILBob]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
[quote=ILBob...Wonder how this response got into this particular thread... [/quote]

READ! He was responding to LesSnyder.

(To quote a phrase from the rule book - ...If the discussion of firearms use bothers you ... ignore threads (or messages) involving firearms...)
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#244396 - 04/03/12 11:40 PM Re: What do you plan to barter? [Re: ]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
What the gentleman hasn't seemed to take into consideration is that doctors, er personnel, surgeons etc, even paramedics and emts are used to sterile conditions with bright lighting inside out of the elements and with plenty of back up to call on. Combat medics work under the absolute worst conditions, with minimal supplies they had to carry in. When the bullets are flying and men are dying they have to to decide who lives and dies (triage) and all the while they themselves are targets of enemy fire. So who do you REALLY want working on you in tghe back country after being bear mauled, shot or snake bit? A heart surgeon with a first aid kit or the guy that spent a tour or two under fire and brings whats really needed to the party? I'll take the medic. Just my opinion.

I gotta say, in my 8 years as an EMT, I can't remember all that many sterile conditions and bright lights ... so not sure where you're basing that stereotype.

"Combat" medics is pretty broad. Every 68W in the Army is a "combat medic" but few truly see combat. Heck, most of them end up in some sort of clinic setting or rear setting. And most of THEM don't know what to do after 30 minutes ... that casevac isn't going to come in a SHTF. And they won't be all that good with non-trauma stuff. So, you pick who you want.

A SF medic is probably better trained, or an IDC for the Navy folks. Ideally, some sort of surgeon or ER doc that has real world, out of hospital experiences.

#244399 - 04/04/12 12:32 AM Re: What do you plan to barter? [Re: MDinana]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I guess I with MD Diana on this one - I can't recall anything like sterile conditions inside out of the elements on any calls I have been privy to. And, yes, I have seen physicians and ER personnel perform quite well. I think your point could be better stated as "physicians will be able to do more in a hospital or standard medical setting than they can do in the wild." And yes, some will do better and be more effective and comfortable than others. If I am ever the victim I will be perfectly happy to receive medical treatment from an MD in the field.

I can recall at least one instance where an onscene physician made the difference and saved a life. Everyone there, including a couple of paramedics, agreed.

#244408 - 04/04/12 02:19 AM Re: What do you plan to barter? [Re: ]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA

1000 meters with a typical M16? Yikes. I've shot out to 800 yards with my 20" HBAR and that was plenty for me. At that point your shot is dropping some 20 feet and carries less energy than a .22lr. grin

#244410 - 04/04/12 03:37 AM Re: What do you plan to barter? [Re: Paul810]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: Paul810

1000 meters with a typical M16? Yikes. I've shot out to 800 yards with my 20" HBAR and that was plenty for me. At that point your shot is dropping some 20 feet and carries less energy than a .22lr. grin

Wow, a .22 lr holds a lot of energy out to 800 yards.

#244411 - 04/04/12 05:55 AM Re: What do you plan to barter? [Re: ireckon]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: ireckon

Wow, a .22 lr holds a lot of energy out to 800 yards.

Should have clarified......22lr at the muzzle. smile

#244412 - 04/04/12 07:02 AM Re: What do you plan to barter? [Re: dweste]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

The hair-splitting about doctors seems to be a meditation upon a luxury that we probably won't have in any emergency situation. While I agree on the relative suitability of various sorts of doctors, we'd be lucky to find even one doctor, much less someone who specializes in exactly what we need. It's not like we'll have a special forces combat medic, an ER doctor who's comfortable improvising, an OBGYN, a neurosurgeon, and an osteopath to pick from, unless the emergency happens in the middle of a medical convention. It's hard enough already in our current First World life to find a good doctor. It's going to be a throw of the dice in a disaster.

The *Ditch Medicine* book looks... exactly like the sort of stuff I hope I'll never have to do in real life. Many grim scenarios. Better get a copy of the book. Thanks for the recommendation.

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 454 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.