Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#244315 - 04/03/12 01:30 AM Re: What do you plan to barter? [Re: LesSnyder]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
with the typical prepper storing a variety of grains like rice and barley...I'm sure an enterprising entrepreneur can supply the brewing tanks and bottle capping machine...spring water and the finest hops, rice, and best barley malt...adult beverages

how do you freeze dry hops? smile

the more I think about this, I may be on to something....

Why wait? Brew it now grin

#244316 - 04/03/12 01:34 AM Re: What do you plan to barter? [Re: dweste]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Those who possess the traditional skills that were in demand when this country was founded will be in demand in any post-modern era:

Butcher, baker, preacher, doc, blacksmith, taylor, tinker, farmer, vet, general merchant, wrangler, farrier.....

#244319 - 04/03/12 02:25 AM Re: What do you plan to barter? [Re: dweste]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
I've got five pots of stew over the fire. Each pot is marked with the main meat ingredient. It has been a couple of years since we could get regular meat.

For a big bowl Son, the price is 10 .22 rounds, 2 .223 rounds or 1 .308 round. How are you paying and name your choice.

If you like, this music will be played with bowl 4.
http://catrecipes.com/pekingmoon.html
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#244333 - 04/03/12 01:16 PM Re: What do you plan to barter? [Re: ponder]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

I may have extra Cipro. And I hit the drugstores in Mexico when I go there for work.
I like zihtromax myself. Stock up on it when I can. Not sure what Hikers group is but at 1000 meters with my .243 and handloads I can break 10 rounds into one hole. My A2 serves for longer range applications.

#244334 - 04/03/12 01:27 PM Re: What do you plan to barter? [Re: hikermor]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

What the gentleman hasn't seemed to take into consideration is that doctors, er personnel, surgeons etc, even paramedics and emts are used to sterile conditions with bright lighting inside out of the elements and with plenty of back up to call on. Combat medics work under the absolute worst conditions, with minimal supplies they had to carry in. When the bullets are flying and men are dying they have to to decide who lives and dies (triage) and all the while they themselves are targets of enemy fire. So who do you REALLY want working on you in tghe back country after being bear mauled, shot or snake bit? A heart surgeon with a first aid kit or the guy that spent a tour or two under fire and brings whats really needed to the party? I'll take the medic. Just my opinion.

#244335 - 04/03/12 01:29 PM Re: What do you plan to barter? [Re: dweste]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Snake Doctor... make mine an SF medic...on the other note, so you are the one with the .243 rail gun.. is it the Gerald Bull signature model?

#244336 - 04/03/12 01:44 PM Re: What do you plan to barter? [Re: LesSnyder]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

I could trade alcohol. We make wine, shine and beer. Just small amounts, of course. wink

#244337 - 04/03/12 01:47 PM Re: What do you plan to barter? [Re: ponder]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

How about I trade half a loaf of bread for a big bowl?

#244343 - 04/03/12 02:56 PM Re: What do you plan to barter? [Re: NightHiker]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

So did the old MASH doctors.

#244370 - 04/03/12 06:48 PM Re: What do you plan to barter? [Re: dweste]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
The fact that we're splitting hairs with doctors proves their value. We could go through the same dance with auto mechanic, baker, blacksmith, taylor, farmer, vet, general merchant, etc. However, we know with medical doctors in a dire situation, we're probably talking about a life-or-death situation right now. So, we have this discussion that's quite a bit more more intriguing.

It's an easy enough question for every professional. Is this skilled person accustomed to working under primitive conditions, or do they only know how to operate with their expensive equipment? It's a case-by-case situation for each professional. It's a totally valid question today when we have the comforts of modern technology.

In the case of my brother-in-law, he went into medicine specifically with the intent to treat people in less equipped countries. Like I said a couple times, he's a general surgeon. Part of his training required him to spend years in the ER room of hospitals that didn't have all the expensive toys.

At this point, he knows how to treat someone who got stabbed or shot in the inner thigh. That's one of many examples. He has done his time with cadavers, and knows human anatomy inside and out. If you talk to a doctor who has actually done stuff like this, they are likely to tell you something like they fainted the first time they had to do these things. Some top-of-the-class doctors go through medical school and realize they can't get past the idea of working with blood all day. So, they manage a hospital, or move to practicing orthopedics, or whatever.

By asking a few pinpoint questions, it's easy enough to figure out what type of doctor you have before you, right? The same is true for any other skilled person. One shortcut, if you're talking to a general surgeon who has spent time in an ER, then there's a high chance this person is fully capable of working under primitive conditions and has already been there and back. Apparently, the same is true for combat vets.

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 261 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.