Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#243213 - 03/16/12 12:48 AM Re: Storm Shelter Re-Think [Re: ]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Here in Florida we have our fair share of tornados. A lot of people who build new homes, or are re-doing their current home put in shelters. They're actually above ground. They'll pick an interior room such as a closet or a pantry and make that room a concrete box which is bolted to pylons made of concrete they drive roughly 6-10' into the ground. The ceiling and the walls of the room are around 16" thick rebar saturated concrete with a heavy steel door.

Basically your house blows away, but you're in your shelter fine. Florida's tornados tend to be smaller. Small ones that do about a few hundred yards of damage and then disappear and/or reappear miles away. So I would wonder if a Florida Tornado is less strong than a classic Midwest Tornado. Probably because of all the ones I have seen or heard were EF-2 at the highest.

I've been witness to some tornados in my life. Scariest and most rapidly occurring thing I have ever been part of in my life.

Folk in the tropics (Northern Australia) all tend to go for above ground shelters because the cyclones are typically associated with VERY heavy rains and flooding. It also (can) make it easier to escape debris which can collapse around you.

#243217 - 03/16/12 03:00 AM Re: Storm Shelter Re-Think [Re: Aussie]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
Originally Posted By: Aussie
That Cozy Cabin looks good.

Be aware that the main exit may become blocked by debris, so consider how you may get out that air vent in an emergency (tools and a ladder).

Also consider taking tools with you so you could bash your way out the main entry (car jack, pry bars, axe, etc)

I imagine you need to site it so that flooding is not a risk either.

My initial plan was just to store food/water in there to last 3 days or so and a couple of air horns to signal for help if you get trapped. I would situate it so it's just out of reach of the house just collapsing on top of it, but not too far to run to. I like the guy's setup with a battery charger, car battery, and battery-operated weather radio in his also.

I could easily wire it up to the house alarm system (my line of work) so nobody gets in during non-emergencies without me knowing.

#243223 - 03/16/12 03:37 PM Re: Storm Shelter Re-Think [Re: 2005RedTJ]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Bear Den suggests encasing thier shelter in concrete in one of thier older brochures. might help. Most of the shelters I saw in Kansas as a child were made of simple cinder block with a hatch type door.

#243224 - 03/16/12 03:40 PM Re: Storm Shelter Re-Think [Re: chaosmagnet]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

I would suggest hydraulic jacks in addition to the standard tools. I don't like the idea of one way out either.

#244210 - 04/01/12 02:26 AM Re: Storm Shelter Re-Think [Re: CANOEDOGS]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Go to monolithic.com and review their stuff. It is an option. I have no affiliation with the company. I just like their ideas.

Again, standard disclaimer . . .

My $.02

#246369 - 05/28/12 09:33 PM Re: Storm Shelter Re-Think [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Ironwood Offline
Journeyman

I am looking into a bomb/storm shelter underground. We have lots of topography condusive to this, but my issue is TOO much bedrock.

Ironwood

#246372 - 05/28/12 10:20 PM Re: Storm Shelter Re-Think [Re: Ironwood]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Ironwood
I am looking into a bomb/storm shelter underground. We have lots of topography condusive to this, but my issue is TOO much bedrock.

Easy way: Excavation company with a blasting license.
Cheap way: Pick axe and breaking bar.
Fun way: Invite Blast to your 4th of July party.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 364 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.