The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#244064 - 03/30/12 03:09 AM Re: Do you use the serrated part ?? [Re: Chisel]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Short of cutting food,I haven't found anything else that serrated blades cut cleanly enough, to warrant actually liking them!They have their place,such as mentioned before ie., Ferro/Mischmetal rods,Seatbelts, feathering tinder,Ice,etc.

#244067 - 03/30/12 08:20 AM Re: Do you use the serrated part ?? [Re: Chisel]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Chisel
Quote:
The addition of a section on a longer blade makes sense if you might need it a lot without the time to sharpen it (survival knife on the water, I.e. SOG SEAL).

Regarding serrated parts of survival knives, many popele don't like "spoiling" the most important part of the blade . I was wondering if it was wiser to put serrations on the back . But that will interfere with battoning. So, instead of serrations all the way on the back, knifemaker can leave the first inch or so ( for the user thumb ) and then 2 inch serrations, then plain back up to the tip of the knive, which is enough area for battoning.

Just wondering

Pretty much ideal. I also quite like the serrated SAK with the serration at the front.

Or my Byrd Wings - decent plain edge, serrated there as back up if needed

#244068 - 03/30/12 08:43 AM Re: Do you use the serrated part ?? [Re: Chisel]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
I find a serrated blade a very useful work tool, for opening cartons, cutting foam pipe insulation, cutting packaging materials, and sometimes cutting rope.
Fine as a work tool, but perhaps less useful as a survival tool, for which a good plain blade is arguably a better choice.

#244070 - 03/30/12 11:34 AM Re: Do you use the serrated part ?? [Re: Chisel]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
I use a fully serrated blade for gardening, as it cuts through roots better than a plain edge. It also stays sharper for a little longer when digging in dirt. My EDC Leatherman Wave has a serrated blade which I use for cutting up cardboard boxes for targets or recycling, and for rope and light wire. For the last two years, I have been using a Bear MGC partially serrated knife for deer hunting. I'm trying to avoid having to carry a bone saw. It works OK, but I wish the serrations were on the back about an inch from the handle. I have been thinking about re-profiling the tip of the knife to remove the point for field-dressing work.

Attachments
bear.jpg

#244072 - 03/30/12 11:45 AM Re: Do you use the serrated part ?? [Re: Chisel]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I use a serrated blade for cutting rope, vine, small branches, etc. it's not something I use every day but I like to have the option. I've adopted hubby's old Ruko fixed blade, because it's got the serrated part on the spine so it doesn't interfer with the regular blade.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#244098 - 03/30/12 06:39 PM Re: Do you use the serrated part ?? [Re: Chisel]
widget Offline
Addict

I have a few SAK's that have a partial serration and they are ok as a pocket knife. The blades cut meat really well and other things, like paracord. I much rather have no serrations though.

For a fixed blade, I do not own, nor will I own a blade with serrations. Not for an outdoors knife in my opinion. I don't need to cut any ropes. Serrations are ok on some kitchen knives, as long as they stay in the kitchen.

#244196 - 03/31/12 09:16 PM Re: Do you use the serrated part ?? [Re: Chisel]
Finn Offline

Loc: Colonial Heights, VA
My EDC $1 folder has a half-serrated blade. It is primarily a work knife for me and the serrations perform well on cardboard, duct tape, etc. I sharpen it daily (its a $1 knife after all) and it does yeoman's work for me.

My EDC SAK has no serrations and cuts electrical cords like butter.

#244205 - 03/31/12 10:47 PM Re: Do you use the serrated part ?? [Re: Chisel]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
The serrated part will start cut on smooth and tough things like plastic and bark much easier than plain edge, especially on knives with softer steels.

#244615 - 04/08/12 01:11 AM Re: Do you use the serrated part ?? [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
I use a serrated blade for cutting rope, vine, small branches, etc. it's not something I use every day but I like to have the option. I've adopted hubby's old Ruko fixed blade, because it's got the serrated part on the spine so it doesn't interfer with the regular blade.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#244618 - 04/08/12 01:35 AM Re: Do you use the serrated part ?? [Re: bacpacjac]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...

That looks like a very useful blade

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 416 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.