Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#243972 - 03/29/12 11:36 AM Do you use the serrated part ??
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I don't like partially serrated knives and think they are not useful ..... but I can be wrong.

So, being PRACTICAL preppers, and after spending all thses years camping and playing with knives of all types , have you used the serrated part in a partially serrated edge ??

I can see their benefit if the serrated balde is separate ( like in multitool or SAK ) where you can use that blade for cutting plastic or even wood (approximately like a saw) .. but seeing a 2-inch serrated part on the Gerber LMF, for example, I wonder : how and where can you utilize that ????

#243974 - 03/29/12 12:14 PM Re: Do you use the serrated part ?? [Re: Chisel]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
A lot of people claim they are useful for cutting rope. I can't remember the last time I had to cut rope.

I am prejudiced against them because I can't sharpen them.

I do have a bunch of kitchen knives that are fully serrated though.

Bob

#243977 - 03/29/12 12:29 PM Re: Do you use the serrated part ?? [Re: ILBob]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I have used the serrated section of a knife to cut rope. It was moderately useful, but no more so than a decently sharpened conventional knife edge. More important is placing the rope under tension - that makes an enormous difference.

When I have a choice, I prefer a non-serrated edge.

#243979 - 03/29/12 12:46 PM Re: Do you use the serrated part ?? [Re: Chisel]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I have used them, but do still prefer a non-serrated myself. Like the others, ease of sharpening.

#243982 - 03/29/12 01:17 PM Re: Do you use the serrated part ?? [Re: Chisel]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I find serrations to be useless at best, and counter-productive at worst. That said, for EDC for someone who might have to cut rope or seat belts yet can't sharpen a knife to save their life, serrations might be useful. When new they are substandard vs a plain edge but they will still rip/tear material to some degree even when very dull.

#243985 - 03/29/12 03:36 PM Re: Do you use the serrated part ?? [Re: Chisel]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I am not a serrated fan. Most of the reason is that the serrations on the brand(s)of knives I prefer or can afford are not made for those of us in our right mind (lefties). I guess that is the issue of single grind? My Leatherman Crunch has one and it is a pain - practically useless. That and the penchant it has for going all floppy. But, that is another issue. I don't carry it anymore. Anyway, back to the question. Serrated? Maybe as a separate knife. Most likely not.

#243991 - 03/29/12 04:06 PM Re: Do you use the serrated part ?? [Re: Chisel]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
The serrated and partially-serrated blades I own are all Spydercos, and I've found them to work quite well for certain things. I generally send them back to the manufacturer when they need sharpening, which means that I rarely carry or use them now.

A well-maintained and sharp plain edge blade does several things better and other things (like cutting thick rope or webbing) nearly as well as a serrated blade, and it's far easier to maintain.

#243997 - 03/29/12 04:27 PM Re: Do you use the serrated part ?? [Re: Chisel]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

You can't I have never used a serrated section and they always put them in the worst place, at the base, where I do fine cutting, peeling etc. I find them utterly useless and an annoyance. Despite having it stated in large capitol print on my old brochure that I do NOT use serrated edges on my knives I was still inundated with requests for them. Apparently they appeal to some demographic out there. Hope this helps.

#243998 - 03/29/12 04:29 PM Re: Do you use the serrated part ?? [Re: ILBob]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
Originally Posted By: ILBob
...I am prejudiced against them because I can't sharpen them...

HARD RESET - F5 - HARD RESET - F5! Any Self Respecting Rightwing Radical ETS Doomsday Survivalist Prepper need to be able to sharpen any blade he owns or comes upon. That includes Cub Scouts and Soccer Moms.

There is nothing magic to sharpening serrated edges!

1. IF they are just a bid dull, use a small stone like a fish hook stone. Use the EDGE, not one of the faces, of the stone and smooth out the curved facets on the serrated side. Now VERY LIGHTLY debur the non serrated side. You’re done.

2. IF they are really dull or burred, use the curved file in your jewelers file set. Pick the file that has about the same radius as the serrations. Reshape the curved facets on the serrated side. Now go back to step one and redo with the stone.
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#243999 - 03/29/12 04:31 PM Re: Do you use the serrated part ?? [Re: ILBob]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

That's like the line cutters on some dive knives. Never had use one and didn't like the way it weakened the blade. Now I use one that is basicly a sharpened slab of steel with a point. I have had to pry with it a few times.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.