Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#243928 - 03/28/12 03:18 PM Re: Water Treatment: Chem or Filter? [Re: bacpacjac]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Backpacjac,

Filtration is probably the best for most of North America. I use an old Katadyn pocket filter the most. Crypto is a common problem, virus much, much less so. Some of the new Sawyer filters appear to remove the virus component also. Overseas you are going to need both. None of the chlorine based products will.touch crypto. Chlorine Dioxide (and the miox from MSR) will do it, but only with extended contact time (four hours is common). The Steripen is nice, I have and use one, but it has limits too. The biggest problem is cross contamination, particularly if you use their recommended procedures. It also only does one liter at a time, not much if you want a meal for a group, or to clean up. In canoe country, working from a base camp, I use the MIOX for a large bladder at camp (fill before leaving/bed) and the Steripen for drinking water in the field.

Respectfully,

Jerry

P.s. Boiling is best, I use it in preference to the others when it is practical. The Wilderness Medical Society recommendations (from lots of experimental data) is only to a rolling boil.

Edited by JerryFountain (03/28/12 03:22 PM)
Edit Reason: add p.s.

#243941 - 03/28/12 08:34 PM Re: Water Treatment: Chem or Filter? [Re: Teslinhiker]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
For years I have extensively and exclusively used Aquatabs.

These tablets are used around the world by .gov organizations, ngo's etc and have a very good track record. The tablets have a 30 minute water contact time and like any other similar products, the cleaner the water to start with, the better.

What I like about these tablets is that they are cheap enough ($8.75 per 50/ strip pack) and have a 5 year shelf life which means there is no reason not to carry these not only for wilderness use, but also having a partial strip pack of 10 or so in the urban PSK only makes prudent sense.
Aquatabs sound like a great idea. However, after a quick check, I can't seem to find anyone selling them in the US.

Does anyone know of a US source for Aquatabs? Or, alternatively, does anyone know of a Canadian distributer who would ship to a US address for a reasonable price?

If all else fails, I get down to Seattle frequently, and while there I occaisionally go up to Victoria or Vancouver. I suppose I can get a supply that way.

#243958 - 03/29/12 01:40 AM Re: Water Treatment: Chem or Filter? [Re: AKSAR]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: AKSAR
For years I have extensively and exclusively used Aquatabs.

These tablets are used around the world by .gov organizations, ngo's etc and have a very good track record. The tablets have a 30 minute water contact time and like any other similar products, the cleaner the water to start with, the better.

What I like about these tablets is that they are cheap enough ($8.75 per 50/ strip pack) and have a 5 year shelf life which means there is no reason not to carry these not only for wilderness use, but also having a partial strip pack of 10 or so in the urban PSK only makes prudent sense.
Aquatabs sound like a great idea. However, after a quick check, I can't seem to find anyone selling them in the US.

Does anyone know of a US source for Aquatabs? Or, alternatively, does anyone know of a Canadian distributer who would ship to a US address for a reasonable price?

If all else fails, I get down to Seattle frequently, and while there I occaisionally go up to Victoria or Vancouver. I suppose I can get a supply that way.

Mountain Equipment Co-op (mec.ca) sells Aquatabs and they do mail order to the USA. I am not sure if you have to be a member for online ordering or not, but a lifetime membership is only $5.00.

John Lubbock

#243959 - 03/29/12 02:35 AM Re: Water Treatment: Chem or Filter? [Re: bacpacjac]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: north central west TX

here's a round-up article you might find helpful as a starting point that i wrote a couple years ago called:

Water Contamination Solutions

#243969 - 03/29/12 06:13 AM Re: Water Treatment: Chem or Filter? [Re: Teslinhiker]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Mountain Equipment Co-op (mec.ca) sells Aquatabs and they do mail order to the USA. I am not sure if you have to be a member for online ordering or not, but a lifetime membership is only $5.00.
Thanks, Teslinhiker. I will probably take out a membership and order some. I understand the MEC is the REI of Canada. We stopped in their shop and looked around when we were in Victoria last fall. Looks like a good outfit.

#243973 - 03/29/12 12:05 PM Re: Water Treatment: Chem or Filter? [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the article Wileycoyote. It's clear as mud now! LOL! This is more complicated than I expected. It looks like BYOW remains the best strategy, with boiling the most secure back-up? Failing the ability to boil, it sounds like a combo of fitlering and chemically treating is best.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#243988 - 03/29/12 03:51 PM Re: Water Treatment: Chem or Filter? [Re: bacpacjac]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
The big drawback for me with chemicals is the time involved to treat the water. I know ideal situations say the water is good to go in 30 minutes, but realistically the water is probably a bit colder and dirtier than the ideal so I would have the tendency to allow the chemicals to work for closer to 4 hours (the time needed for the 4 degree C, dirty water).

I know people that exclusively use chemicals for their water treatment and the best method seems to be to start treating the water before you need it. This assumes you have multiple water containers and as you empty one, you fill it with local water and throw the chemicals in. Then, by the time you need it the water is good to go.

With regards to boiling, the big drawback for me is that typically you want cold (or at least less than lukewarm) water to drink and cooling down the water after boiling it isn't a quick task.

When I was researching a backcountry water treatment solution for myself, I decided that full purification was what I wanted; I wasn't comfortable relying on filtering alone. I know viruses are a lower risk in North America, but I wanted a solution that could handle both bacteria and viruses.

Ultimately I decided to make my primary water purification system a SteriPen Journey with a pre-filter. This allows me to clean a litre of water in under 2 minutes which is good enough for me. For backup I also have MicroPur tablets and, when backpacking at least, boiling.

And, as Mark M mentioned, this method (perhaps more than others) does necessitate a backup. I ended up getting a defective SteriPen unit which failed in the backcountry. Backups kicked in and it was all good.

Even after getting a replacement SteriPen, they are definitely more sensitive to cold than I'd like so while I am still going to give it a shot this year as my primary purifier, I won't be without backups!

#256901 - 02/25/13 04:43 PM Re: Water Treatment: Chem or Filter? [Re: bacpacjac]
Alonzo Offline
Stranger

Loc: Canada
Chemical treatments have the key benefits of being very light-weight and very effective at working with viruses and dangerous bacteria, but they will not remove air compound matter, may not remove all the dangerous parasites present in the water.
So i always keep traditional hiker's water filter is the bottle filter.Lightweight and easy to use.

#256904 - 02/25/13 09:41 PM Re: Water Treatment: Chem or Filter? [Re: Denis]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Denis

With regards to boiling, the big drawback for me is that typically you want cold (or at least less than lukewarm) water to drink and cooling down the water after boiling it isn't a quick task.

Speaking from an Arizona/desert perspective, (I note that you are well to the north) the temperature of the water is quite irrelevant if you are truly thirsty.

#256905 - 02/25/13 10:28 PM Re: Water Treatment: Chem or Filter? [Re: ]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
I guess for drinking water the straw is Ok but it is not especially useful for other things like cooking or washing, or mixing with flavorings.

Bob

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.