Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#243831 - 03/27/12 01:10 AM Re: The Survival Situation and how you Lose your Gear [Re: ireckon]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Theft as a factor probably diminishes as you get deeper into the woods. Once you are beyond the reach of wheeled vehicles and crowds, it isn't a significant problem.

#243832 - 03/27/12 01:35 AM Re: The Survival Situation and how you Lose your Gear [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Theft as a factor probably diminishes as you get deeper into the woods. Once you are beyond the reach of wheeled vehicles and crowds, it isn't a significant problem.
I agree with this statement. The main issue I have seen with theft is cars getting broken into at trailheads, while the owners are back in the woods. These tend to be smash and grab thefts, where the thieves are mostly interested in high value items that can be readily fenced.

Edit: My observation is that most people who would be inclined to steal your gear are generally a pretty lazy bunch. They aren't the sort of folks who are likely to walk more than a few yards from their vehicle and beer supply.

Edited by AKSAR (03/27/12 01:47 AM)
Edit Reason: added observation

#243833 - 03/27/12 01:59 AM Re: The Survival Situation and how you Lose your Gear [Re: Frisket]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I don't think caliber, or for that matter gun possession, matters a whole lot when it comes to theft, which I understand as stealing without drawing the attention of others. In fact, guns, being valuable, can often be the target of a thief. There is nothing you can do about theft if you can't or don't notice it. Likewise, a skilled burglar can enter and leave your house without getting noticed, sometimes with you sleeping soundly through it.

Regrettably (or maybe not so regrettably?), because of the easy access to firearms, the American criminal no longer even tries to perfect or even acquire these Old World skills: pickpocketing, long cons, cat burglaries, etc. Why take years to train under a possibly exploitative and abusive master who always demands a cut, when you can just rob someone by force with a gun and keep all the profit yourself? You may not even be able to get these skills unless you go abroad. That's just not worth it.

As moderator, I would encourage people to stay on topic. While political-social critique is not strictly prohibited, that which verges on political speech is.

HJ

Edited by Hikin_Jim (03/27/12 03:17 AM)
Edit Reason: Apply forum moderation

#243838 - 03/27/12 02:59 AM Re: The Survival Situation and how you Lose your Gear [Re: hikermor]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...

For brick and mortar breed filth and crime,
With a pulse of evil that throbs and beats;
And men are withered before their prime
By the curse paved in with the lanes and streets.

And lungs are poisoned and shoulders bowed,
In the smothering reek of mill and mine;
And Death stalks in on the struggling crowd—
But he shuns the shadow of oak and pine.

NESSMUK.

#243841 - 03/27/12 03:20 AM Re: The Survival Situation and how you Lose your Gear [Re: hikermor]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
That's been my observation too. At trailheads and campgrounds, I worry some, but in the backcountry, not at all.

Of the reasons people get separated from their gear in the backcountry, human action ranks very far down on the list.

HJ

#243844 - 03/27/12 03:43 AM Re: The Survival Situation and how you Lose your Gear [Re: Frisket]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

There are lots of scenarios that can "separate" you from your backpack. Being pinned under a boulder is one of them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYrqs3wh3QQ

Although this guy may not have survived with a PSK alone and was lucky to have met the other backpacker , but the sudden unexpected mishap that happened to him shows us how ANYTHING can happen while outdoors and you find yourself unable to access your bag even if it was a few yards away from you.

It is very possible that a guy like this one goes to have a leak at midnight, gets attacked by a bear or something or breaks an ankle and gets injured or disoriented in the dark , and has to wait till morning to see his way back to camp. Not a bad idea to wear a fanny pack type of PSK when moving around at night.

#243864 - 03/27/12 02:22 PM Re: The Survival Situation and how you Lose your Gear [Re: Phaedrus]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Thats where a hanging lantern or glowstick marking camp is a big help in finding your way back. Or going BEFORE you crawl in your bag for the night. But who does that anymore? Or thinks to take even an altoids tin on a bathroom run?

#243865 - 03/27/12 02:50 PM Re: The Survival Situation and how you Lose your Gear [Re: ireckon]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

It shouldn't be. Firearms are survival tools as well. It's a shame that the rampant paranoia here makes the subject verbotten. For many of us here they are EDC. I would no more leave home without my >45 than my wallet, cell, knife and lighter.

#243866 - 03/27/12 02:52 PM Re: The Survival Situation and how you Lose your Gear [Re: hikermor]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

But I still take my pack and boots into my tent at night, no matter how remote, hiker. I have heard of animals hauling off a boot leaving one lonely one behind.

Edited by Snake_Doctor (03/27/12 02:57 PM)

#243871 - 03/27/12 04:47 PM Re: The Survival Situation and how you Lose your Gear [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
Thats where a hanging lantern or glowstick marking camp is a big help in finding your way back. Or going BEFORE you crawl in your bag for the night. But who does that anymore? Or thinks to take even an altoids tin on a bathroom run?

Raising my hand quietly from the back of the room.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.