Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#243847 - 03/27/12 10:09 AM Looking for a short utility knife
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I have asked someone to modify a utility knife from hawksbill to a spearhead. The result is a blade that is 2 inch in length and 1 inch width. Handle is ~4 inch wood. I love it so much and use it around home and office.

It is not very thick , maybe 2 mm, but is sturdy enough. I was wondering though if there was a commercially available knife in this category. Where handle is the "average" or "normal" size handle, and blade is short and stubby. I am using it for prying, breaking , dismantling ..etc. Latest project is "demolishing" old floppy diskettes before throwing away.

I've seen a short Mora ( for whittling ..etc.) that fits the description of handle and blade length, but I don't think it is wide or thick enough for my needs. I wouldn't use that mora for stabbing metal or heavy prying.

So, in short, it should be 2-inch blade, but rough and tough enough to take lots of punishment. Oh, and price should be reasonable.

#243849 - 03/27/12 10:35 AM Re: Looking for a short utility knife [Re: Chisel]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
how about an 'Elephant Toe(nail)' knife?

The one I pictured is a custom model, but you can get a pretty good Hammer Brand knife on eBay for $22 with free shipping.

Attachments
hpP13Plattsjumbowithmailercropped111.jpg

#243850 - 03/27/12 10:50 AM Re: Looking for a short utility knife [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

WOW !!! Thanks

Looks just like what I want, but is it available in fixed blade form ??

BTW, what is this knife used for ?? I mean if they manufacture stubby knives , there must be a demand for some specific type of job. Or do they just make them for nerds like me ?? LOL

Edit to add:

After some Googling, I found this Elephant Toe has a 3-inch blade ( I prefer 2 inch) and the price is $150 !! Too steep for me and for the intended use.

Edited by Chisel (03/27/12 11:09 AM)

#243853 - 03/27/12 12:07 PM Re: Looking for a short utility knife [Re: Chisel]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I think JK Handmade Knives could hook you up with what you want for a bit less- in a fixed blade.

#243856 - 03/27/12 01:11 PM Re: Looking for a short utility knife [Re: Chisel]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
ESEE Izula?

Newt Livesay Woo?

#243858 - 03/27/12 01:22 PM Re: Looking for a short utility knife [Re: Chisel]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

As a maker of knives, and a total knife freak, I have never seen the appeal of a short blade on a long handle. Just my personal and professional opinion on the subject. But they are gaining popularity. I saw an article on them in a magazine several months back as I waited at a store.

#243863 - 03/27/12 02:07 PM Re: Looking for a short utility knife [Re: ]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Benchmade's 210/211 Activator kinda comes to mind. It's quite a short and stubby fixed blade, but the handle is still reasonably sized for most people's hands. Here's a picture I found of someone holding one:

and another of just the knife:

I've got a Benchmade 201 that I love. It's basically a 211, but with a longer 3.5" blade rather than the 211's ~2" blade. I use it for bushcraft a lot and it hasn't disappointing me yet. I even sent it out to have a custom kydex sheath made, allowing me to carry it both inside and outside the waistband.

#243870 - 03/27/12 04:39 PM Re: Looking for a short utility knife [Re: Paul810]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
The Mora Craftline Electrician has a stubby sheepsfoot blade with a full size handle:
http://www.frosts.se/products/construction
2mm thick, 44mm long (~1-3/4") probably about 7/8" wide.

There is also the Chisle which is 2.5mm thick, 78mm/3" long and looks to be wider. You could grind the tip down to your preferred shape...

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#243884 - 03/27/12 07:58 PM Re: Looking for a short utility knife [Re: Chisel]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Second vote for an electricians knife. It sounds like you are looking for a cable splicing knife. While somewhat out of your price range, a second option would be the Graham Pocket Razel.

EDIT: The Boker Cop Tool is a budget version of a Razel.

Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
As a maker of knives, and a total knife freak, I have never seen the appeal of a short blade on a long handle. Just my personal and professional opinion on the subject. But they are gaining popularity. I saw an article on them in a magazine several months back as I waited at a store.

I've found that long handle/short blades are easier to work with when you really have to use a lot or force and/or precision. Also, if you're as injury-prone as I am, it cuts down on the amount of blood you lose.

Edited by Mark_R (03/27/12 08:15 PM)

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#243970 - 03/29/12 11:17 AM Re: Looking for a short utility knife [Re: Mark_R]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Thanks

The electrician knife is a great choice, also the cable slicing knife

The Razel has been in my mind for a long time, but price is an issue.

The rescue knife looks Ok except for the serrated edge. I don't like serrations and may open a thread asking everyone if or when do they use the serrated edge.

I do have some serrated blades but as a part of multitool , not as a standalone, and definitley not as a partial serrated blade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.