The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#243595 - 03/22/12 06:50 PM Urban Carry Recommendation
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Hey gang! The weather has been so nice lately that I've started to think about my urban/suburban summer day hike set-up. I'm not switching over yet though. Going to stick to the tried and true theory that winter isn't over in these parts until we get through April, and even then we may get snow in May.

This will not be a wilderness kit. My priorities for this kind of trip will be to carry my cel phone, wallet, keys, glasses, leatherman, FAK, water bottle, bug spray, sun screen, snacks, and also leaving a little room the the treasures my 8 year old finds along the way.

Last year, I made the bold move of leaving my off-roading backpack behind and taking a fanny pack when I stayed on the pavement, but I didn't really like it because it was uncomfortable on my hips when I put a water bottle in it. (It was an Obusforme something or other fanny pack.) The same can be said of my EDC purse. It works great as is but I can't stand the floppyness of it when I'm doing something active like bike riding, rollerblading, etc. especially when I clip a water bottle on it. I'd like to try something in between this year. The Maxpediation Jumbo Versapack looks like it might fit the bill but I'm looking for other suggestions.

What say you?

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#243598 - 03/22/12 07:17 PM Re: Urban Carry Recommendation [Re: bacpacjac]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
possibly a vest?...a bird hunting vest will typically have a rear flap pocket for the water bottle... an open mesh shotgun vest's pockets are designed to carry a box of shotshells, but generally no rear flap pocket..

#243601 - 03/22/12 07:31 PM Re: Urban Carry Recommendation [Re: bacpacjac]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
It sounds like you need a plain old rucksack with a sternum strap or a messenger bag with a stabilizer strap. My only caveat while on pavement is to avoid anything with to many outside compartments that can be accessed by someone else without your knowledge. I usually gravitate toward a tote, satchel, or ruck for carrying stuff on pavement, but I'm also just walking. I like the convenience of a messenger/sling bag, but I can't tolerate any pressure against the side of my neck.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#243603 - 03/22/12 07:31 PM Re: Urban Carry Recommendation [Re: LesSnyder]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
possibly a vest?...a bird hunting vest will typically have a rear flap pocket for the water bottle... an open mesh shotgun vest's pockets are designed to carry a box of shotshells, but generally no rear flap pocket..

Thanks Les. That might work well. I understand that they can be found with lots of mesh to let the air flow and stay cool.

Adding that to my "Check It Out List". Thanks!

EDIT: I'm a little hesitant about a vest because of the "image" my son would possibly have to live with if his friends saw him with GI Mom. The nice thing about my EDC purse is that it's a woman's purse so has some built-in camouflage.

Edited by bacpacjac (03/22/12 07:34 PM)

#243604 - 03/22/12 07:38 PM Re: Urban Carry Recommendation [Re: bacpacjac]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Items I would suggest is a whistle, lip balm, a flashlight and a handkerchief or travel size Kleenex.

Jeanette Isabelle

#243605 - 03/22/12 07:42 PM Re: Urban Carry Recommendation [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks so much Jeanette. Good calls. Kids and Kleenex should be like PB & J. wink My keychain includes a whistle and light but it's a good idea to move my bandana and lip balm to this kit as well. Thanks for the reminder!!

(And it's good to see you again. Either I haven't been paying close enough attention or you haven't posted for a while.)

#243606 - 03/22/12 07:59 PM Re: Urban Carry Recommendation [Re: bacpacjac]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
(And it's good to see you again. Either I haven't been paying close enough attention or you haven't posted for a while.)

I haven't posted in a while.

Jeanette Isabelle

#243610 - 03/22/12 09:35 PM Re: Urban Carry Recommendation [Re: bacpacjac]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Kids and Kleenex should be like PB & J. wink

I think a Mom (with her kids) are the ultimate prepper. I was never so impressed than when I went for a day in the park with my niece and her 2+ year old daughter. My niece brought along a backpack straining the zippers when we started the day. "Overkill" I thought. During our day I found out the the back pack had anything needed and my niece could and did pull it out in seconds, no searching required.

Despite numerous events I would never have thought of, she was prepared for everything and took it in stride. Not overkill, just normal. . .

Kudos to Moms and making it seem easy to keep a 2 year old happy and going in a full day at the park.

#243611 - 03/22/12 09:44 PM Re: Urban Carry Recommendation [Re: bacpacjac]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
My favorite pack for around the city is:

REI Flash 18 Pack $34 - super light rucksack, fun colors (but also stealthy black), I carry a 32 oz water bottle inside mine

http://www.rei.com/product/827110/rei-flash-18-pack

They recently had the older model on sale for $20 but these new ones are still a deal at $34. I abuse mine and they hold up great.

-

#243612 - 03/22/12 10:15 PM Re: Urban Carry Recommendation [Re: Dagny]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Dagny
My favorite pack for around the city is:

REI Flash 18 Pack $34 - super light rucksack, fun colors (but also stealthy black), I carry a 32 oz water bottle inside mine

http://www.rei.com/product/827110/rei-flash-18-pack

They recently had the older model on sale for $20 but these new ones are still a deal at $34. I abuse mine and they hold up great.

-

Dagny, you just sparked an idea! I've got a small camelback knock-off that might work well. (It's the same colour as the REI pack in the link.) I'm found of backpacks, even though I'm always tempted to overpack!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.