Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#243632 - 03/23/12 01:56 AM Re: Urban Carry Recommendation [Re: Eugene]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Eugene
I got the Camelbak that has the removable sections last year. So it can strip down to just the bladder and a small pocket for around town or add one or two pouches back on for longer woods trips.

Thanks Eugene. I'll have to look at that one. Is it this:
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=81422

BTW - love the link in your signature!!

Edited by bacpacjac (03/24/12 02:33 AM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#243661 - 03/23/12 05:08 PM Re: Urban Carry Recommendation [Re: bacpacjac]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

One of the medium camelbaks might fit the bill. Enough room for a snack, a kit, water and a jacket...and a few found treasures

#243665 - 03/23/12 05:33 PM Re: Urban Carry Recommendation [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
One of the medium camelbaks might fit the bill. Enough room for a snack, a kit, water and a jacket...and a few found treasures

Thanks Teacher. I'm definitely going to spend some time in the camelbak section checking it all out. It's a nice compromise, I think, in terms of capacity and the ability to carry water comfortably.

#243671 - 03/23/12 06:10 PM Re: Urban Carry Recommendation [Re: bacpacjac]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

omg. I've been retired to long. I like the bag izzy found. I need to work again. and grnt and scratch. Lol. Honestly, when I started using a nmessenger bag here, a tactical interior model which looked normal from the outside, it was met with less than steller enthusiasm. Ridicule and disrespect were far more common. Blackhawk mahe some very nice small bags I remember a compact vertical fanny pack meant to be worn at the small of the back. It had a main compartment, a front zip pocket and a water bottle and couuld be worn directly on ones belt. If i remember correctly it would hold what you have described.

#243672 - 03/23/12 06:18 PM Re: Urban Carry Recommendation [Re: Finn]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Thats my light hiking rig fin. $10 at wal-mart. Bought another at a thrift shop for a buck, minus the bottles. No big deal. I switched out the 20 ounce nalgene knock offs for a pair of 32 ounce Powerade bottles. Added a knife, Gerber tool .357 loaded with CCI snake shot and first aid pouch to the belt. Outer pocket contains main Psk, inside hiking supplies. The tiny D ring holds small items on mini carabiner. I sewed on nylon straps to hold a light fleece jaket, wind breaker with beanie, gloves and socks rolled inside. Serves me well here in the desert and trail hiking in our mountains.

#243673 - 03/23/12 06:24 PM Re: Urban Carry Recommendation [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
Thats my light hiking rig fin. $10 at wal-mart. Bought another at a thrift shop for a buck, minus the bottles. No big deal. I switched out the 20 ounce nalgene knock offs for a pair of 32 ounce Powerade bottles. Added a knife, Gerber tool .357 loaded with CCI snake shot and first aid pouch to the belt. Outer pocket contains main Psk, inside hiking supplies. The tiny D ring holds small items on mini carabiner. I sewed on nylon straps to hold a light fleece jaket, wind breaker with beanie, gloves and socks rolled inside. Serves me well here in the desert and trail hiking in our mountains.

Thanks Snake. I've got an arthritic right hip and I'm in the bad back club, so weight distribution is pretty important to me. You're making think of different configurations to try with what I already have, and I appreciate that! Adding a FAK pouch to my fanny pack's belt might with the weight distribution and make it more comfortable.

#243674 - 03/23/12 06:25 PM Re: Urban Carry Recommendation [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
omg. I've been retired to long.

Rub it in, why don't ya?!

#243678 - 03/23/12 06:35 PM Re: Urban Carry Recommendation [Re: bacpacjac]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Sorry jac. frown The ranch and work in the shop keep me busy enough.

#243680 - 03/23/12 06:42 PM Re: Urban Carry Recommendation [Re: bacpacjac]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

I hear you Jac. I'm beat up from the life I've lived and the professions I chose. My hands and knee have arthritis and my back has problems from a jump gone bad. Wieght distribution does help when carrying loads, especially all day. If you have a sternum strap they make small sternum packs to carry immediate essentials and help distribute the wieght. My FAK is in a red pouch purchase at walgreens for $10 if I remember correctly. Of course I rebuilt it and it's considerably heavier now. The vertical fanny pack I mentioned could be worn flet to your back and should help with the center of gravity, as well as be more secure and not flop about if you have to chase your little one.

#243688 - 03/23/12 07:48 PM Re: Urban Carry Recommendation [Re: ]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Give some consideration to The North Face Mountain Lumbar Pack. ~365cu. in. inside storage. You can comfortably wear it on your waist, you can add shoulder "strapettes" from other manufacturers, or ( by buckleing the waist belt) wear it on your one shoulder or even slung overhead and one shoulder, like a sling bag. The built in water bottle pockets are very secure. I've attached another small belt type pouch, to the built in straps that let you carry a shell. If you shoulder it, you can also attach a cellphone or other yoke type pocket. Finally, you can slide a multitool/flashlight holster onto the waist belt. Believe it or not, based upon my own experience, its very versatile, non-tactical and low profile, even in NYC, especially in black.

Edited by acropolis5 (03/23/12 07:49 PM)

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 444 Guests and 319 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.