Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#243677 - 03/23/12 06:34 PM Water Treatment: Chem or Filter?
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I'm rebuilding a day hiking kit and my question to the brain trust is: Water treatment chemicals (i.e. MicroPUR tabs or something similar) or a small straw filter?

Why?

What say you?

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#243682 - 03/23/12 06:52 PM Re: Water Treatment: Chem or Filter? [Re: bacpacjac]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

I like filters, faster and more efficient. Even if it's just a survial straw like the Frontier filter. I use a pure hiker most of the time. The Chlorine dioxide tablets don't impress me. They take $ hours to work and in the desert I may not have that much time for myself or an injured person. Plus with thier instructions I feel like I should be wearing a docontamination suit and have hazmat standing by. I use Potable Aqua because it's faster and I'm familiar with them BUT I have had a recent disappointment with them. Bought the kit at wal-mart when putting together a kit for a nieghbor who is a scout. When I openened botlle one I found 21 whole tablets and enough broken pieces for perhaps 6 more for a total of 27 not the 50 it claimed. There were 50 tiny tablets of vitamin c in bottle 2 however. I need to email or call potable aqua and alert them to this.

#243685 - 03/23/12 07:19 PM Re: Water Treatment: Chem or Filter? [Re: bacpacjac]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Based upon the research I did for my own EDC/GHB, i would recommend that you use either or both of the Seychelles "Advanced" straw or bottle purifiers. Light and compact, with very good, test data and on-line comments. BIG BUT, I have no first hand experience with either. I also carry the Katadyn tablets and the Survival Resources Water Bags and their little fold up funnel to hold coffee filters, to pre-filter. The Katadyn Purifier Bottle, ES version, also gets great write-ups. Its a bit bigger and more strongly constructed that the Seychelles bottle, but heavier.

#243687 - 03/23/12 07:38 PM Re: Water Treatment: Chem or Filter? [Re: bacpacjac]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Water treatment chemicals (i.e. MicroPUR tabs or something similar) or a small straw filter?

Are you looking for a just-in-case solution or for something that you will be using on a more regular basis?

#243692 - 03/23/12 08:19 PM Re: Water Treatment: Chem or Filter? [Re: Denis]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
One has to keep in mind that there are Filters and there are Purifiers.

Your typical camping/hiking filter removes protozoa, parasites, and most bacteria. What it really fails to filter out are the majority of viruses. Viruses like Hepatitis A, SARS, Polio...not nice things.

For that, you need a purification method. While there are combination filters and purifiers, most people rely on after-treatment.

Chlorine dioxide tablets or drops is a very popular after-treatment method. However, boiling will also kill viruses (at sea level 1 minute of boiling time is recommended, at 6500ft+ elevation 3 minutes is recommended).

Essentially, filtration and purification go hand in hand.

However, if I only had room for one, I would make sure I had a method of water purification (like Chlorine Dioxide/Micropur MP-1 Tablets). Why? It will still make water completely safe to drink, you might just have to wait longer for it to be effective. Whereas, your typical filter is bulkier and can still fail to filter dangerous viruses.

#243696 - 03/23/12 08:31 PM Re: Water Treatment: Chem or Filter? [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
The Chlorine dioxide tablets don't impress me. They take $ hours to work and in the desert I may not have that much time for myself or an injured person. Plus with thier instructions I feel like I should be wearing a docontamination suit and have hazmat standing by. I use Potable Aqua because it's faster and I'm familiar with them BUT I have had a recent disappointment with them. Bought the kit at wal-mart when putting together a kit for a nieghbor who is a scout. When I openened botlle one I found 21 whole tablets and enough broken pieces for perhaps 6 more for a total of 27 not the 50 it claimed. There were 50 tiny tablets of vitamin c in bottle 2 however. I need to email or call potable aqua and alert them to this.

Wow! Seriously? I almost bought some of those today but won't now. Not sure I'd trust anything from them again. Thanks for the heads up!

Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
I like filters, faster and more efficient. Even if it's just a survial straw like the Frontier filter. I use a pure hiker most of the time.

I picked up a Frontier Straw today. I've wanted to try one and figure this is a good chance to try one.

#243697 - 03/23/12 08:39 PM Re: Water Treatment: Chem or Filter? [Re: acropolis5]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: acropolis5
Based upon the research I did for my own EDC/GHB, i would recommend that you use either or both of the Seychelles "Advanced" straw or bottle purifiers. Light and compact, with very good, test data and on-line comments. BIG BUT, I have no first hand experience with either. I also carry the Katadyn tablets and the Survival Resources Water Bags and their little fold up funnel to hold coffee filters, to pre-filter. The Katadyn Purifier Bottle, ES version, also gets great write-ups. Its a bit bigger and more strongly constructed that the Seychelles bottle, but heavier.

Thanks, Acropolis! I've never done anything but prefilter and boil my water but figure something non-fire dependant is a good idea. This is going to be for just in case. My BOB has some Coglahns disinfectant tabs and my PK has MicroPUR tabs, so I figured going for an alternative was a good idea.

I have 2 Katadyn Purifer bottles that live in my office BIB and our family BOB, as well as a Micro Filter that we use when camping and have ready at home for a bug in situation or longer term bug out. The bottles are just so easy but I hate the spouts on them.

For this kit I definitely want something small, light weight and easy.

#243698 - 03/23/12 08:42 PM Re: Water Treatment: Chem or Filter? [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Ideally you want both, Jackie.

Even if you chemically treat water you still have things in them that won't make you stick, but will make for an uncomfortable drinking process. Sediment, mostly. I'd chemically treat and then drink it through a filter straw similar to what many bottle companies are selling. Charcoal based filters meant to filter out chlorine and other particulate matter.

Water down here is so full of various things that it would plug up any filter straw rather quickly. And because of that I am not entirely confident chemical treatment would be good enough for my standards. I would probably just filter the water through a bandana or piece of t-shirt and then boil it as well as chemically treat it. I've tasted boiled river and pond water and it taste like crap.....so having some chemical flavor in there is a step up.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if after years of growing up swimming in the St. Johns, Wildcat Lake and numerous Spring fed runs and creeks that I am immune to what's in the local water. Lord knows I've swallowed enough on accident. But I'm not about to put that to the test.

Thanks, Izzy. Pre-filter is a must for me too. We have lots of fresh water around but also lots of nasties from industrial pollution. Both sounds like a great idea to me. I got a Frontier Filter today and I carry MicroPUR tabs in my PSK so both it is. Thanks!!

#243699 - 03/23/12 08:44 PM Re: Water Treatment: Chem or Filter? [Re: Denis]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Denis
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Water treatment chemicals (i.e. MicroPUR tabs or something similar) or a small straw filter?

Are you looking for a just-in-case solution or for something that you will be using on a more regular basis?

For this kit, just in case, Dennis. And research of course. wink When I came home with a Frontier filter today, my husband laughed and said "you need help" and then asked to see it. :-)

#243700 - 03/23/12 08:45 PM Re: Water Treatment: Chem or Filter? [Re: Paul810]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks, Paul. I'm going to go for a combo solution. For the size, weight and piece of mind!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.